What do you do once you mentioned something in your personal statement ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically, I talked about my experience as an EMT in my personal statement... and when I went to put the experience in the "post-secondary" section of the application I noticed it says "it is not necessary to put information here which was mentioned in the personal statement." But, my question is, how will med schools be able to confirm my EMT experience? I mean, I didn't put the company I worked for, hours I worked a week, etc... all the stuff the "post secondary experience" section asks. Also, just because you "mention" somethign in your personal statement... for example, tutoring, does that mean you shouldn't put it in "post secondary experiences" period? help! Maybe I should just put my EMT job in the post-secondary experience section but not fill out any of the "decription in 500 or less words" part? what did you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote about my EMT experience on my personal statement, and put it in post-secondary experiences as well, and no one ever called me on it. Just don't repeat yourself in the 'experience description' part when you list it as a post-secondary experience.

Definitely list it in your experiences. Use the 510 characters to describe your duties. You absolutely want to list it - they don't read your whole application every time.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you guys are sure as long as I re-mention stuff I put in my personal statement again in my post-secondary section there won't be a problem? That is, as long as I don't put "repeat" information? You guys all get accepted places? :wink:

Well, my second question then is did you mention in your post-secondary section that you mentioned it in the personal statement? that is, did you put "see personal statement"?
thanks!

when you put it in your personal statement, you're supposed to talk about what the experience meant to you, or how it influenced you... in the EC section, you describe your job description. They should really be different. don't go describing what you did in your personal statement... those will put the adm ppl to sleep

No, I didn't get in. However, the only thing I mentioned in both places was my job. If you are really afraid it will hurt you, then leave it out. I can't imagine that adcoms would be upset about it though.

Oh, and when I talked about my job, I didn't say "see personal statement". I listed my duties in "experiences" and I talked about how my job and responsibilities make me a better applicant in my essay.

Even though I didn't get in, I got interviews at all the schools to which I applied.

kreno,

I got in, but even so, I don't think such a minor thing would have any effect at all. In fact, I think leaving it off your post-secondary experiences would hurt you. I also don't think it's necessary to say "see personal statement."

As has been mentioned, just don't be redundant and repeat yourself and say the same thing over and over again and put the same information multiple times. :)

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I'll definitely put my EMT duties and responsibilies and stuff on the post-secondary now, and keep my personal statement as it is (how the experience influenced my decisoin to be a doctor, etc, etc). Hey spacecadet... why did you get rejected after interviewing at so many schools? Isn't that discouraging? You seem like a cool guy :wink: What went wrong? You sure it wasn't 'cuz you repeated yourself on the application? :wink:

i put down work experiences in my essay and had them in my post-secondary experiences.

the 510 character deal is more of a description. you don't have to write what it meant to you.

kreno,

Ok, I definitely need to update my profile. I'm a cool chick - not a guy. :)

Well, it sounds like I interviewed at a lot of schools but I only applied to three. I know - it's not enough - but I have no choice. I have to stay local. Ah, the dilemmas of a non-trad!

Actually, I hadn't considered "repeating myself" for a reason why I didn't get in. Maybe I should look into that. Ha ha. More likely it's something like zero clinical experience and not enough schools.

Oh, and yeah, it's very discouraging. It's not like I'm applying to ivy league schools or anything.