Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What do you do when you can't....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by paisley1, Nov 16, 2001.

1. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member

answer an interviewer's question initially? At one of my interviews, the interviewer asked me a couple of questions that I couldn't think of answers to off the top of my head. So, I asked for a few moments to let me think and after what seemed like an eternity, I responded. How would you guys respond?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I think it's alright to think clearly so that you can answer a question in a coherent fashion. I've had questions that I just couldn't answer because it was something really specific (about Hamlet) that I just don't recall, so I was honest about it and didn't make anything up (which would be even worse).

4. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I think you handled it properly. I'd say something like, 'Hm, let me think about that one...' take a few seconds to get an answer straight in your head and go with it. Oftentimes, what I do is to start on a tangent, til I can work my way back to the answer. Something they say will click in my mind, and I can go from there. During an interview, it's quite all right to pause for a few moments to properly answer the question.

Andrew