What do you do when you can't....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paisley1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
answer an interviewer's question initially? At one of my interviews, the interviewer asked me a couple of questions that I couldn't think of answers to off the top of my head. So, I asked for a few moments to let me think and after what seemed like an eternity, I responded. How would you guys respond?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's alright to think clearly so that you can answer a question in a coherent fashion. I've had questions that I just couldn't answer because it was something really specific (about Hamlet) that I just don't recall, so I was honest about it and didn't make anything up (which would be even worse).

I think you handled it properly. I'd say something like, 'Hm, let me think about that one...' take a few seconds to get an answer straight in your head and go with it. Oftentimes, what I do is to start on a tangent, til I can work my way back to the answer. Something they say will click in my mind, and I can go from there. During an interview, it's quite all right to pause for a few moments to properly answer the question.

Andrew