What do you do when you run out of VR materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4s4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did the test last year and exhausted all the GOOD VR materials, i.e. I did ALLLLL the AAMC VR (well I did all the exams except for AAMC 10, which I heard isn't that good anyway), and ALL the 11 VR of Examkrackers 101, and most of the Kaplan VR (which I know the passages are good, but the questions aren't).

What should I do? There's still some Kaplan ones I haven't done yet, but I heard they're not "good" and will actually hurt you more...=(

I don't have Princeton, and I could try to buy it, but I'm not sure how helpful that will be.

Any suggestions? Should I just read the Economist and try to understand it? But I kind of need questions too, just to guide me along.

I suppose I could re-do the exams over, but I'm the type of person who remembers things from a year ago, so likely I'll remember what the answers were and it wouldnt' be accurate at all, and I'd be unrealistically confident.

Help, anyone. And I have no idea how I am faring....First, I get 9 on a Kaplan verbal, and after I start mixing passags from different tests around, I get 6's...doesn't make any sense to me at all. As a reference, I got 8 on the real thing, and about 10's in practice last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think the only "good" materials are previous AAMC VR passages. Even 10. Do them all. Then do them again. But don't just pick out the "right" answer. Since you've done them already and remember the answers try to figure out WHY the answer is right. And don't look for the reasoning in the passage. Figure out how each answer relates to the main idea and the tone of the passage. Then figure out why each wrong answer is wrong. Figure out why that answer doesn't fit the main idea or tone or given theories or whatever.

Reading the Economist alone won't do you any good unless you try to work out the main idea of every article you read. You say you need questions...try to make them up yourself. Figure out how the MCAT would test that particular article. That will help you start thinking like an MCAT tester. Good luck!

You could try looking at the argumentative and logic sections of some LSAT prep tests. They ask more than the MCAT does in terms of dissecting arguments, identifying errors in logic or fallacious statements, but there's definitely crossover between the two tests. For example, you'll see the same "which of the following, if true, would most support/undermine this argument" questions, but they're significantly more difficult.

Thanks for the feedback! So out of the following: reading the Economist critically, Princeton Review, LSAT--which do you think would be most effective?

I will defintiely re-do AAMC (free for me lol) and reading the Economist critically (also free since my school has a subscription, so I guess I'm asking, if I have to fork over money for more prep materials, do you think Princeton vs. LSAT, which would be a better investment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably Princeton because it's actually MCAT material. You can find a few free LSAT samples online though, if you want to see what I mean.