What do you do when you're burned out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James Sacket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point in time, I have no motivation to stay on task like I used to. Forcing myself to study becomes harder and harder as I realize we have ~2 months left to go. I'm surprised working out wasn't very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest- I try to avoid getting super burnt out by letting myself be useless on occasion. After exams, I'm totally beat, and so I usually just say "f' it" for a few days and let my mind rest so I can get motivated again. I find a day or two of totally vegging out helps a LOT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat, and I'm finding that I go through intense periods of study leading up to a test followed by a couple days of doing nothing, only to repeat this endless cycle.

Take a mental health day. Try and get a lot of work done one day and take the next afternoon completely off- no contact with other med students who'll just make you feel guilty, don't even look at your backpack. Do what you like for one day, even if it's just lying on a couch numbing your brain with bad tv or videogames. We all deserve the occasional mental health day.

Live vicariously through TV shows.. thats what I've done all year although im out of shows and still have another year in the classroom :(

Taking research days and regularly hanging out with my non-med school friends has really helped limit the burn-out, save our anatomy module. Running and basketball also help, if you're somewhere warm enough to work out this time of year :)

2-3 days of Wow or EQ2 do the trick. Pizza helps as well during this crucial period of self reflection.

2-3 days of Wow or EQ2 do the trick. Pizza helps as well during this crucial period of self reflection.

Xbox with the obnoxious microphone abusers muted can be oddly entertaining sometimes, too. And who doesn't love a good raping/pillaging spree in CoD / MoH?

I think everyone feels that way during 2nd year in particular.

It's harder to get burned out during 3rd year because it's more like some sort of fake real job where you're on the move all the time rather than studying or listening to PHD's talk about their favorite random point that they think you must know.

Blogging is a great way to vent (and you can also generate some income on the side). If you enjoy writing, you may find that it's a nice way to rejuvenate your motivation to study once again. Plus, you may connect with other students who can give you tips and suggestions on ways to improve your studying habits.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's harder to get burned out during 3rd year because it's more like some sort of fake real job where you're on the move all the time rather than studying or listening to PHD's talk about their favorite random point that they think you must know.
:laugh:

I go to the library where I can observe other burnt out people, it influences me to keep going. Normally you're not going to want to study right after working out, I don't know how others do it. If you want to be completely 100% focused anyways.

It took me all of...almost the entire year to figure this out, but taking a day off really helps. I used to force myself to study because I knew I needed to. However, when I'm burnt out I am usually rocking a constant migraine along with sleep deprivation. This equates to me being extremely unproductive. I've learned that taking a day off is better in the end. I rather lose one day of studying than have a week of unproductive miserable studying. After the last time I took a day off I managed to get through more material in just a couple hours one night than I had gotten done in the prior 3 or 4 days of my burnt out attempt at studying. If someone would've told me to take a day off 3 days before 2 exams last semester I would've :laugh:

If I just need motivation to make myself start studying...I usually go to a public place like panera or starbucks.

When I'm feeling burnt out I will study in the afternoon and at 5 or 6pm say I'm taking the night off and put all my books up (that way I don't get tempted or feel pressured to study more)- I usually go to the gym first and have a great workout, then come home and eat a good dinner followed by a long bubble bath (I'm a girl and I find it super stress relieving) and then watch a movie or TV. Usually the next day I feel like I can go again. I always gave myself the day after an exam off as well except now with Step prep I'm just doing 2 hours the day after an exam.

fap or visit my f-buddy

I go to the library where I can observe other burnt out people, it influences me to keep going. Normally you're not going to want to study right after working out, I don't know how others do it. If you want to be completely 100% focused anyways.

I work out, and hit the hottub for a few before studying, the increase of blood flow, and alertness helps me study

I notice I get burnt out every 1.5-2 weeks-ish. I usually just take the day off and surf the web, watch tv, or play games. Then the next day I feel so guilty about not doing anything the day before that it motivates me to study really hard until I get burnt out again.

Like another poster said its an endless cycle. :D

A quick transfusion of tigerblood leads to infinite energy.