What do you do with a "pre-med" major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I was just curious if anyone knew what one does that is special as a pre-med major that a biology or chemistry major does not do.

I would think that it would be difficult to get a job with that major outside of the medical field.

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorNick83 said:
Hi SDNers,

I was just curious if anyone knew what one does that is special as a pre-med major that a biology or chemistry major does not do.

I would think that it would be difficult to get a job with that major outside of the medical field.

You answered it in your own post.
That is also why most universities do not offer "pre-med" majors, because there really isn't anything particularly medical related that you can't take with another major, and also, there is absolutely no use for it outside of the medical field.

DoctorNick83 said:
Hi SDNers,

There's no such thing as a pre-med major, except for very few schools that have special "pre-professional" majors. I think Penn State and Notre Dame have these, but I don't know of any others. As you said, such degrees are basically worthless if you don't end up going to professional school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a major that prepares you for medical school. From what I have heard it just basically consists of electives that you get to choose from. It's a dangerous major IMO if you struggle with it.

As long as you intend to apply to medical school and you take the required courses for med school admission (generally 2 semesters of bio, g-chem, o-chem, english, math, etc.) you are a "pre-med". Pre-med is not a major, it's an intended path of graduate study. You can major in whatever you want and still be a pre-med student as long as you include those required classes in your study.