What do you do you when you read incomprehensible sentences or lose concentration in verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gene_pool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you prevent breaks in concentration and/or remain confident throughout a passage when you feel like you didn't comprehend what seemed to be a major part of what the author was saying? I am especially prone to spiraling when I feel like I didn't "get" a sentence in the early parts of the passage.

I really really want to figure out how people are able to consistently miss 5 or less questions out of 40 on Verbal...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The part I hate the most is when I read a sentence and I don't understand it, they ask about it in the questions

The part I hate the most is when I read a sentence and I don't understand it, they ask about it in the questions

Yeah like you feel like you understood everything else, but what they're asking lol..

Pre-reading questions has helped me a little bit here...

But I still can't seem to consistently turn off my mental chatter right before I read... I think way too much, and I don't know how to shut myself up so I can read the damn passage

Yeah like you feel like you understood everything else, but what they're asking lol..

Pre-reading questions has helped me a little bit here...

But I still can't seem to consistently turn off my mental chatter right before I read... I think way too much, and I don't know how to shut myself up so I can read the damn passage

I haven't used the technique of pre-reading questions BUT I think it's worth a try. I had a friend who decided to do that on the real MCAT and scored higher than any VR section he scored on his practice tests.