krebs

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status
Hey guys I had a question. My friend is a senior at pharm school and was talking about how even though pharmacists have a doctorate in pharmacy they arent usually called Dr. What is your opinion?

etf

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status
i mean, if you have to address a reverend who has an honorary doctorate in theology or something from nowhere tech as "Dr.", i would think that pharmacists would get to have the same privilege...

About the Ads

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I usually use first name if I know them. I have never heard someone call a pharmacist Doctor though.

Also another thing to consider is just recently the PharmD degree became prominent. So most practicing pharmacists do not have PharmD degrees, although I am not certain if the previous pharmacy degree was a "doctorate" or not. My assumption is that it is not, for whatever reason.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Um, usually the pharmacist at Walgreen's has a nametag on. So I stick with "Steve."

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I prefer the neutral term "md-wannabe". Official, yet endearing.

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Rafa said:
I prefer the neutral term "md-wannabe". Official, yet endearing.
:barf:

jojocola

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hrm, i just got my meds a couple of days ago and was wondering the same thing. I just called him by his name tag.

Summer Sweet

Le chéri, c'est la vie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jackieMD2007 said:
Um, usually the pharmacist at Walgreen's has a nametag on. So I stick with "Steve."
Lol! I go with "excuse me" or "hi there" :D

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
etf said:
i mean, if you have to address a reverend who has an honorary doctorate in theology or something from nowhere tech as "Dr.", i would think that pharmacists would get to have the same privilege...
Doesn't have to be an honorary degree, there are hard core PhD programs in Divinity. My hat is off to anyone that can translate like 5 ancient languages!

About the Ads