what do you guys consider to be a large medical school class? 110? 150?

hoping2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
what do you guys consider to be a large med school class? and does it really matter?

About the Ads

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
'Eaterville
Status (Visible)
Hey, wait! I know Loyola has a class of about 130 peeps, but they split the students in three communities with faculty advisors belonging to each community. Each community has their own lounge, study area, etc. It's like having three medical school classes in 1!

lilstina

diamond sweetpea
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2003
texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
well here in TX, several of the med schools have entering classes of 200 at least, possibly a bit more this year... i think it's kinda cool though, the prospect of meeting so many new people.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Baylor has 168, which is quite large.

It seems the average is around 100-110, though I dont have statistics to back that up, just a gut feeling from reading about different schools.

The nice thing about a larger class, compared to a smaller class, is there is a greater chance that youll meet cooler people, and since the class is much smaller, you can avoid the tools. I would imagine this would be hard at Mayo (though Id be interested to hear what people from especially small programs had to say about class dynamics).

You can always "downsize" a large class by just hanging out with a smaller group of people. Unfortunately, can't go the other way. So I personally would err on the side of a larger class.

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Sharky
Med school classes should be around 300 to 400. They would be more conducive to learning.

Why? Smaller is always better (uhh, at least for class size, I mean, since better faculty: student ratio-- more individual attention, etc)

Plus, Id imagine clinicals would start to suck with so many people, probably would be an even greater loss in autonomy.

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Gleevec
Why? Smaller is always better (uhh, at least for class size, I mean, since better faculty: student ratio-- more individual attention, etc)

Plus, Id imagine clinicals would start to suck with so many people, probably would be an even greater loss in autonomy.
That is true. A larger class size means more opportunities to make friends.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Sharky
That is true. A larger class size means more opportunities to make friends.

and meet potential enemies...:smuggrin:

i would think 100ish is around an average class size with 140+ starting to side on the large side.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by hoping2004
what do you guys consider to be a large med school class? and does it really matter?

I think 120-130 is avg. 100 is small average, 150 is large average. Just my .02

CCW

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Ohio
Status (Visible)
Ohio State is ~210 i believe...it's not 230, but it's close. I think a class that size is much too large, although some of those students go into the independent study program.

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Jefferson has one of the biggest classes at 223 students, but from what I have heard the students still have a sense of community despite the large class. (coming from a school where none of my classes where less than 200 students, large class size doesn't bother me).

MoCookiess

Hater of Biochemistry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Austin, TX
Status (Visible)
This may be a silly question, but say your whole incoming class has 150 people... does everyone take all the same classes at the same time, or do they split it up into two smaller cohorts, and those people all have class together?

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
at jefferson I know that all the students are in class together. the dean commented that last year they ended up with four extra students and had to add a row of chairs to the lecture hall!

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status (Visible)
I am like Mayo because of the very small class size. But then again I also seem to like PCOM, which has a very very large class size.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.