What do you guys do to stay happy/sane in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situtation. I'm an asian male, who did my undergrad at UCLA, and have lived most of my life in Southern Calif. The majority of my friends are also asian with a few exceptions being white and hispanic. I'm not a naturally smart guy so I used to spend 6-8 hours a day/ 6 days a week studying during undergrad, this time does not include time spent in lecture. I used to study all day on Sat. and when night time came I would go clubing in Los Angeles, and Sunday was my chill day with my girl and most likely a movie at night. I also workout an hour a day/ 5 days a week. The working out, clubing on Sat., and the Sunday chill day w/ my girl kept me sane during my (IMO) competitive undergrad. As of now I will most likely be going to SLU for medical school in Aug. I'm afraid that it's going to be a big culture shock for me going from my racial comfort zone in So. Cal., to the mid west. Going clubing in the mid west on Sat. to unwind is going to be different then going clubing in L.A. I also don't have a girlfriend anymore too. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to put in more hours studying, so this also means less chill time. I have a hard time making new friends because the friends that I do have I've known for years. My sister also went from UCLA to SLU and in her first year she was miserable, mainly because she was home sick, and didn't have many friends in school. But in her second year she was lucky enough to hook up with her current husband. I don't think I will be so lucky. Basically I know I'm going to be home sick, have no friends and I'm going to have less time to chill while in medical school. So what do you guys do to stay happy/sane while in medical school? Also to the people of minority ethnicity, how did you adjust out of your racial comfort zone, when moving to a new area?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
Here is my situtation. I'm an asian male, who did my undergrad at UCLA, and have lived most of my life in Southern Calif. The majority of my friends are also asian with a few exceptions being white and hispanic. I'm not a naturally smart guy so I used to spend 6-8 hours a day/ 6 days a week studying during undergrad, this time does not include time spent in lecture. I used to study all day on Sat. and when night time came I would go clubing in Los Angeles, and Sunday was my chill day with my girl and most likely a movie at night. I also workout an hour a day/ 5 days a week. The working out, clubing on Sat., and the Sunday chill day w/ my girl kept me sane during my (IMO) competitive undergrad. As of now I will most likely be going to SLU for medical school in Aug. I'm afraid that it's going to be a big culture shock for me going from my racial comfort zone in So. Cal., to the mid west. Going clubing in the mid west on Sat. to unwind is going to be different then going clubing in L.A. I also don't have a girlfriend anymore too. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to put in more hours studying, so this also means less chill time. I have a hard time making new friends because the friends that I do have I've known for years. My sister also went from UCLA to SLU and in her first year she was miserable, mainly because she was home sick, and didn't have many friends in school. But in her second year she was lucky enough to hook up with her current husband. I don't think I will be so lucky. Basically I know I'm going to be home sick, have no friends and I'm going to have less time to chill while in medical school. So what do you guys do to stay happy/sane while in medical school? Also to the people of minority ethnicity, how did you adjust out of your racial comfort zone, when moving to a new area?

Sounds like you have a great work ethic and a keen sense of what's important. I wouldn't worry too much about study time. If you can study six hours/day plus Saturday, I think you'll be just fine. I studied just about as much as you did during undergrad. When I asked docs if they thought my study habits were good enough, most laughed and said "Oh Yeah!" Keep your chin up.

Ryan

realize that there'll be a bunch of people feeling the same way as you. you'll bond. you'll do better than you think. try to be optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on being miserable, sure enough, you gonna.

Med school classes tend to small enough to be tight knit, much more so than undergrad. I really think you step into a totally different class of peers when you go from undergrad to med school. On average they will be a "cut above" the average person on the street or even at an undergraduate school. And eryone of them will be out of their element on the first day and looking to make new friends, just like you. You will be joining a very select group who have all been screened and screened and screened for many things, including such traits as likeability, compassion....... blah blah blah ..... Of course the occasional snob will always slip in under the radar, but not many.

All that to say ....I think you will find when you get there that if you extend any effort at all into making new friends, you will be welcome by many with open arms. They are usually just that kind of people. And you will find also that the problem with what to do with all your free time will take care of itself ..lol

Take up Ping Pong!!!!!!!

Good luck.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know this might sound wierd, but I really love to study for my classes in medical school. I mean, I've been wanting to go to medical school for a really long time, and being a doctor is my calling in life, so that makes studying enjoyable. I hated studying in undergrad because all of it seemed so useless, now I love it because this is what I want to do. If you really are dedicated to being a doctor you'll find that your classes and studying for them will be enjoyable. :)

An off the wall suggestion:

Learn to cook. You can have a few people over to eat (spaghetti is fine; everybody will be broke in med school). Eating together is a great way to break the ice. You can start with your lab partners or some other people you meet naturally. If conversation lags, ask people where they're from, how they decided to be doctors, if they're totally freaked out about x class, etc. People will open up.

Originally posted by samenewme
An off the wall suggestion:

Learn to cook. You can have a few people over to eat (spaghetti is fine; everybody will be broke in med school). Eating together is a great way to break the ice. You can start with your lab partners or some other people you meet naturally. If conversation lags, ask people where they're from, how they decided to be doctors, if they're totally freaked out about x class, etc. People will open up.
Good idea, I love to entertain, and I watch the food network (iron chef) all the time. At my interviews they asked me what do I like to do outside of school, and I said cook and entertain for friends. I didn't even think about cooking, it is something I love to do. I just had to be reminded that it is a way to make new friends. Anymore suggestions out there?

Exercise really keeps me feeling better so that I don't get sick or burn out from stress, and you can do it with other people too.. Try to meet as many people as you can during orientation and if you meet people with similar interests (running, skiing, cooking, or whatever else you like to do), try to set up "dates" with them. keep in touch with your family and make early plane reservations to see them during the holidays. SLU seems like a nice, laid back school, so you should have plenty of free time compared to other places. oh yeah, try to get plenty of sleep and get outdoors as much as you can, and remember P=M.D. g'luck..oh, one more thing, set aside time every week to watch TV shows or movies that you like or to read a non-medical book.

When I came to medical school, I moved COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone. I'm not a minority, but my experience was similar in some ways to what you described...I grew up white and Protestant in Alaska, surrounded by mostly white faces, with only the occasional Alaskan native or Eskimo or Asian. Moving from that to New York City was complete culture shock for me. Suddenly, white was no longer the predominant skin color, and Protestant no longer the predominant religion. Here, it's a (beautiful) cultural mishmash. In addition, I don't easily make friends...I'm pretty shy, and I have trouble talking to people in the "getting to know you" phase (I'm a little too serious for my own good).

You really shouldn't worry about it. My experience was hard...like your sister, I was extremely homesick my first years in school. But eventually you become accustomed to it, and soon you won't even know the difference...or, you'll be acutely aware of the difference, and it will make you happy. :)

What I did that really helped was to find a "life" for myself OUTSIDE of medical school. In other words, I worked to define an identity for myself in New York City that reflected ME--not "me and medical school" (although it is a bit hard to escape the fact that medical school is really the only reason I'm here). I started taking art classes here--definitely a rich opportunity in Manhattan. I made friends outside of medical school, so I didn't always have to worry about classes, etc (trust me, you'll get sick of talking about school. And classmates have an insidious way of stressing you out, whether or not they intend to). I spent weekends going on long walks in Central Park. Basically, I made time for the things I've always enjoyed, independent of location.

Also, the cooking idea is a great one. Every few months I have a gangbuster dinner party. I make the main meal and dessert, and everyone else brings appetizers, wine, etc. It's a LOT of fun, and much more interactive than clubbing...and quite a bit cheaper, too.

Don't worry...the first weeks, months may be tough, but you'll enjoy it in the long run. Just don't stress yourself out too much about grades. Make sure you have time to do the fun things that you enjoy. :)

1st off 1/4 of my school is Asian and I'm sure most med schools have a large asian representation.

2nd suck it up man - homesickness is the least of your worries. I lose sleep over my debt. Right now I'd kill for more than 2 hours of sleep - surgery blows.

"P=M.D."
Biggest load of BS out there - I would never want anyone treating me or my family with that mentality. You do the best you can and work as hard as you can, if that ends up being a P so be it. Otherwise you shouldn't be practicing medicine.

Art Classes? geez you people haven't done a surgical rotation yet I guess.

"So what do you guys do to stay happy/sane while in medical school?"
Benzodiazepines + Fluoxetine

Actually, Gauss, I've done both surgery and ob-gyn, and I received honors. By doing something FUN in my little spare time, I was able to focus more intently on my school work in the time I designated for it. :)

As to being an Asian guy moving to the Midwest, I was an Asian girl moving to a non-metropolitan East Coast town.... Not quite the same, and I've had some good friends who struggled more with the culture change than me.

I'd say you'll probably not feel <B>that</B> different from the students in your med school class, since you'll have all gone through the applications process and are going through the same ordeals again. You'd be surprised at how many people from California there are-- not many compared to attending state school, but California sends a <B>lot</B> of students to other states, and it's likely students from California comprise the largest group of out-of-state students. Just because California has, well, a lot of people. ;)

In a small town, the "local" people (i.e. those who've never lived more than an hour from the immediate area) may seem a little more secluded than California people, and sometimes I get asked questions that simply don't ever get asked in CA. For example, "Where are your parents from?" "Where were you born?" "How did you learn to speak English?" or even better, I've said I majored in English in college and someone said, "That's a hard language even for ME to learn!" :rolleyes: The questions are unusual to someone from CA where they're never asked, but they are usually asked in sincerity. However, if you're a student, you'll probably only <B>rarely</B> get to interact with local people this way, except possibly in the hospital, but usually the "cultural difference" between patients and medical students is so huge that being Asian on top of it doesn't lend much additional difference. So I'm telling you that this does happen to me, BUT it is absolutely harmless and isn't something worth worrying about.

If you're worried about prejudice or racism-- don't. It's not happened to me yet.

Just be curious about the people in your class, ask them questions like where they're from, etc. Let them tell you about themselves and tell them a little about yourself. And, learn not to rely on a girlfriend to keep you sane, but figure it out yourself-- in the long term, you'll be better off if you're able to keep yourself sane without making that additional demand on whomever you might start dating. ;)

I agree with the above posters. You will find plenty of people in your medical school who feel like you. Believe it or not, there are actually many Asians exactly like you--transplants from east or west coat big cities living in seemingly out-of-nowhere Midwestern cities.

I myself left LA like you and am attending Wash U (also in St. Louis). I think everybody considers issues like fitting in and finding friends, and ultimately there is enough diversity in your class that you will probably find somebody (or usually several people) that you feel compatible with. There are also many opportunities to meet people. Somebody suggested going to activities you enjoy, like joining volunteer program or outdoors club or something. Or you can meet people through various Asian American associations, church, or through other students in your class. There are so many opportunities, and I guarantee you that you will find so many people in your class who are in your boat! Just think about how many Californians apply to med school. They end up being pretty much everywhere....

Best of luck to you!

eh im a white boy and probably going to SLU too ill be your frined:) haha no but honestly im probably ending up there and im sure itll be fine. We are all in same boat of not knowing people etc. Ill make things fun and happy for the class no worries! just pm me sometime before class starts! always nice to have people who like to go out as im guessing a fair share in medschool arent that fun but i could be wrong! either way odn tworry youll be fine

solution: masturbation, videogames, and alot of alcohol.

nuclearrabbit

You do have a great work ethic. Keep it up and you will be fine. But just one suggestion. The amount of work in medical school can be overwhelming if you go in with the approach that I have to read everything, learn every fact, etc. Try to become as efficient as possible with your study time. Try studying in a place without distractions. Give yourself a fixed amount of time for your work a day so that you are forced to be efficient. Try to do something fun a few times a week. I am sure there are bars and clubs with all sorts of music all over the midwest. You will find new friends quickly and adjust. Just remember to study for the big picture the first time around and fill in the details with each additional pass over the material. Do not memmorize, but learn as much as you can in context because you will actually remember it in the following quarters.

PS
I am a bruin too. UCLA undergrad was great. Enjoy it while you can. :clap: :clap:

"P=M.D."
Biggest load of BS out there - I would never want anyone treating me or my family with that mentality. You do the best you can and work as hard as you can, if that ends up being a P so be it. Otherwise you shouldn't be practicing medicine.

[/B]

actually, that is EXACTLY what I meant by P=M.D. I also meant that the most important thing is to learn the material the best you can so that you can help your patients, rather than freaking out about grades like many people did in undergrad. there is no need on your part to be a judgemental @$$hole.

also, although your cute comment on benzodiazepines and fluoxetine was meant to show your infinite knowledge of medicine, the fact is that benzodiazepines can be very sedating (and addictive) in some people. I certainly don't want a doctor who is sedated, that's just plain dangerous. I also don't want a doctor who scoffs at my feelings. I hope that the next time you act condescending to a patient that one of them has the gumption to give you a swift kick to your testicles.

just a few comments on the homesickness part...

i left beautiful cali to come to prague, czech republic. it sucked (and sucks still) to be that far from home...some hints.
1. be thankful that you are in med school! the time will go by pretty fast, and you have worked hard to get in. just remember those streesed out undergrad days, and it will feel good to even be in class, wherever it may be!
2. go home regularly, at reasonable spaced intervals. but not too often or it will get worse! personally, i get home twice a year during the semester (about 4 mos apart) and then for the summer. (we get summers off, but we are in school for 6 years...)
3. get involved in school...if you immerse yourself, you will stay busy, and less homesick.
4. make a study schedule just like you had at home, and get out and burn some steam off saturday. my schedule stayed the same, even though the type of partying on saturday night changed. it is actually a lot wilder over here, and we have a blast!

you will make freinds, no problem...just do it! this can be a great experience, so enjoy it. you will be back home before you know it!

Originally posted by Katie
actually, that is EXACTLY what I meant by P=M.D. I also meant that the most important thing is to learn the material the best you can so that you can help your patients, rather than freaking out about grades like many people did in undergrad. there is no need on your part to be a judgemental @$$hole.

also, although your cute comment on benzodiazepines and fluoxetine was meant to show your infinite knowledge of medicine, the fact is that benzodiazepines can be very sedating (and addictive) in some people. I certainly don't want a doctor who is sedated, that's just plain dangerous. I also don't want a doctor who scoffs at my feelings. I hope that the next time you act condescending to a patient that one of them has the gumption to give you a swift kick to your testicles.

Obviously the person doesnt understand what it takes to get P in medical school. P is not "coasting" it still requires considerable effort.