What do you guys do to stay motivated/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hafido

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone does to stay motivated and on top of their studies. I used to have a big problem with procrastinating on subjects and managing time properly. But as I have matured (26 now), I have learned to put things in perspective and address the biggest, most important issues first. I rarely watch TV, I am trying to spend the weekends soley studying and I try to prioritze everything so that my studies are the most important tasks at hand. Granted i am not in D-school yet, but what does everyone else do to stay motivated to open that book when you are dreading the though of it? Do you keep pics of teeth in front of your computer or what (j/k)?

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i think motivation is more of an innate thing. either you have it or you don't.

The most effective method I've found to stop procrastinating on a task I've been dreading is to promise myself that after just a half-hour of solid work on it, I'll give myself time for absolutely guilt-free play (e.g., reading, playing basketball, video games, whatever). After I play, I'll do another half-hour and play again. It's much easier to get started when you promise yourself a reward at the end. Classic behavioral psychology. I use a kitchen timer during the half-hour so that I can focus completely on what I'm doing and don't have to look at the clock every two minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Making studying a social activity might help.

Being social with one's dental school classmates for mutual support helped quite a bit in my case. Most of my classmates are not supercompetitive cutthroat gunners, but they are motivated to pass the exams and finish dental school on time. When I do stuff and study with them, their motivation rubs off on me. It's pretty similar to the esprit de corps one would see in a Marine Corps boot camp, actually. :D

Seriously, I don't think I would be graduating on-time a few days from now if it wasn't for the mutual support from my classmates.

Class of 2004 at Buffalo: YOU GUYS ROCK! :thumbup:

Tommy brought up a good point. I often times also study with classmates and make it a somewhat of a social event. Make sure you study in an environment where a lot of other people study as well.....if I see other people study and I'm just sitting there goofing off, I will feel guilty and study some more. Also, it helps to ask your friends when you come across confusing concepts (altho in dentistry, there's not as much concepts involved and mostly just straight memorization).

Another reason I am motivated in because I've done plenty of procrastination, partying, clubbing, raving, drinking, slacking, and basically anything that has nothing to do with books in my college years. The rebellious little kid inside me finally decided to grow up. I feel that I dont need to repeat all that again, now that I'm in dental school....... although I still go out a lot.....hehe. Also, something that keeps me going is that I want to eventually pursue in a post-graduate speciality program. I think this is ultimate motivating factor cuz they really wont even consider you if your grades are mediocre.

Bottom line is that as long as you are methodical in your approach in studying, you should be fine. In my first 2 years of dental school, I allocated 3 - 4 hours a day on average studying......except friday and saturday nights. Throw in some relaxing time in between studying days to keep yourself sane.

Depends on the person... some people cannot concentrate in certain environments. For me, I can only study when I am alone.

"Typo" made a good point that I also follow. In undergrad, I would study for 45 minutes, then hop on my motorcycle and cruise for 15 minutes, then go back to studying, and repeat this cycle. I had friends who would sit in the library or lounge and stare at their books for 4 hours straight, and get nothing done, probably because they could not focus using that method of study.

Doggie said:
Tommy brought up a good point. I often times also study with classmates and make it a somewhat of a social event. Make sure you study in an environment where a lot of other people study as well.....if I see other people study and I'm just sitting there goofing off, I will feel guilty and study some more. Also, it helps to ask your friends when you come across confusing concepts (altho in dentistry, there's not as much concepts involved and mostly just straight memorization).

Another reason I am motivated in because I've done plenty of procrastination, partying, clubbing, raving, drinking, slacking, and basically anything that has nothing to do with books in my college years. The rebellious little kid inside me finally decided to grow up. I feel that I dont need to repeat all that again, now that I'm in dental school....... although I still go out a lot.....hehe. Also, something that keeps me going is that I want to eventually pursue in a post-graduate speciality program. I think this is ultimate motivating factor cuz they really wont even consider you if your grades are mediocre.

Bottom line is that as long as you are methodical in your approach in studying, you should be fine. In my first 2 years of dental school, I allocated 3 - 4 hours a day on average studying......except friday and saturday nights. Throw in some relaxing time in between studying days to keep yourself sane.

Change it up a lot. By that I mean study and break equally and randomly. At the moment, it seems like I'm wasting time (like SDN, heh), but in the end I actually end up knowing a lot and still got to do random things at will.

On top of that, I change it up a lot by making my "projects" into study modules. For instance, I enjoy working on the computer with photoshop and dreamweaver. So, I use those interests occasionally to make study images and html pages.

Finally, class comraderie is probably the most important factor. If I weren't called on for clarification of concepts and fact, I wouldn't have looked into those notes half of the time.

ADD:

Oh yeah, also remembering how much work you put into getting here keeps me on my toes. It'd be a big shame to waste all that hard work and give up now.

comatose said:
personally, i think motivation is more of an innate thing. either you have it or you don't.

I disagree. the best way to stay/become motivated is to reward yourself if you get someting done or earn a good grade etc....
Having said that, different methods tend to work differently on different people.

comet

i just keep in mind what my physics TA always says: if you don't study for your quiz then you won't get a 4.0 in physics, therefore you will fail in life and spend the rest of it living in a box under a bridge..... :laugh:

well, maybe not that extreme. but I always tell myself that if i get at least a 3.5 in everything then it will be a lot easier to get into the schools i want to go to (close to home, etc) and i will worry a lot less come application time. more work now makes for better life later.

I stay motivated by fear. When studying for the DAT, I was thinking of what an ass I'd look like if I didn't get in, not to mention that I'd be missing out on a phenomenal career(at the time, looking like an ass was more tangible). I'm scared of dental school, which is why I worked really hard in my biochem and histo classes to get me ready. Same thing happened when I failed my first organic chem test. I got a 49% on it and got worried that dental school was about to go "bye bye" so I fought back and worked until I got an A in it(we were allowed to drop a test, but no one that dropped the first test stayed in the class, except me):) Fear isn't the perfect motivation, however, I find it very difficult to study if there is nothing on the line. After getting in to D school this spring has been the TOUGHEST to study, because I just haven't had the fear of failure like other times.

I bribe myself.... lastest bribe was do well enough on the organic 2 final to get a B in the class and I'll get a new skating dress.... I do the same thing withe video games, clothes, etc. Can get expensive at times, but I love working towards a prize that I can use then... even though the greatest prize will be getting into the dental school of my choice (hopefully).

I am hearing the same things over and over again in this thread..... like rewarding yourself. And I agree 100%!!! Similar to what some others have posted, I play games with myself, promising myself some type of reward for studying X hours. In severe cases I may also reward myself for just studying for 20, 30 or 40 minutes, just so that I can get my butt in the chair with a book in my hand. I've found that if I can just get started I will usually finish the studying. The hardest part for me is just getting started. Knowing that allows me to set up situations that minimize distraction (failure) and maximize productivity. For me I found that if I go to a library I will study (instead of studying at home where I am distracted by things like internet, games, magizines etc.). I also have to have a certain amount of "uncomfort". A sterile, quiet library forces me to study because there is nothing else to do, and frankly I want to get out of there ASAP so I get my work done quickly (negative reinforcement). I also give myself plenty of positive rewards. It works, just look at all the posts ahead of mine. Simple but effective. Good luck.

I've had some serious issues with motivation this week (finals week). So, I pretty much put off finals until the last minute, then scraped by with B's in all of my classes.... I know a lot of guys who go to a quiet bar and make note cards/go over things while they share a few beers. I've found this to be very helpful when I can't bring myself to do anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
akathisia said:
For me I found that if I go to a library I will study (instead of studying at home where I am distracted by things like internet, games, magizines etc.). I also have to have a certain amount of "uncomfort". A sterile, quiet library forces me to study because there is nothing else to do, and frankly I want to get out of there ASAP so I get my work done quickly (negative reinforcement).

OMG!!! you can totally be my twin!!

I always talk to myself, "I DO NOT WANT to pass down this miserable life style to my kids". My family is hard-working but not self-sufficient if you know what I mean. I just want to break out of the ghetto I live in.

I am a procrastinator. Whenever I try not to procrastinate, I end up wasting time on studying useless things. I need the fear of failing a test to motivate me to study continuously 4+ hours the night before an exam. I seem to function at my optimal level under stress. It is under the stress of the looming exam that I can get to the bare bones of what I need to know with out wasting my time.

aileen said:
I always talk to myself, "I DO NOT WANT to pass down this miserable life style to my kids". My family is hard-working but not self-sufficient if you know what I mean. I just want to break out of the ghetto I live in.

I told my mom that I wanted to go to DS so I could afford to put her in a "good" nursing home. :smuggrin: :laugh: She cracked up! :laugh:

I respond well to stress. I need stress to keep me going. When things get easy, I get bored and I let it slide.

I also make mini-goals for myself w/ rewards. Like, I have to finish all of my stuff before I can go out with my friends, etc. I guess that is a very common method.

My best semester in college I wrote "4.0" on a big sheet of paper and hung in on the wall near my desk. It really helped me when I would get tired or was not focused. I would daydream and look over at my big "4.0" sign and feel guilty and motivated and stuff. Must have worked b/c it was my best semester! :)

LibertyB said:
[....]My best semester in college I wrote "4.0" on a big sheet of paper and hung in on the wall near my desk. It really helped me when I would get tired or was not focused. I would daydream and look over at my big "4.0" sign and feel guilty and motivated and stuff. Must have worked b/c it was my best semester! :)
Cool! I just started using a similar method to keep myself going. I have this plastic/silicone model of teeth & gums with a hinge in the back, so when I'm doing some difficult writing, I hang it on the edge of the computer screen so that when my eyes wander from the page, I remember one very good reason to keep going.

trypmo said:
Cool! I just started using a similar method to keep myself going. I have this plastic/silicone model of teeth & gums with a hinge in the back, so when I'm doing some difficult writing, I hang it on the edge of the computer screen so that when my eyes wander from the page, I remember one very good reason to keep going.

That ain't gonna work in dental school. During your first two years you will be SO SICK of that stupid typodont that you would want to fling it across the room whenever you see it. :D

I hope people don't get offended but...
To keep myself motivated, I have sex. I would just have lots of sex with my gf at night and sleep well. When I wake up, I eat a good meal, workout, and for some weird reason, I'd feel like studying. If I really can't stay motivated, I just take a day off and make myself feel guilty after and that usually works. Or when it gets real bad, I force myself to go to the library.

Woodsy said:
To keep myself motivated, I have sex. I would just have lots of sex with my gf at night and sleep well. When I wake up, I eat a good meal, workout, and for some weird reason, I'd feel like studying. If I really can't stay motivated, I just take a day off and make myself feel guilty after and that usually works. Or when it gets real bad, I force myself to go to the library.

HAHHA.....who would get offended by this?

avin there are some peopel who do unfortunately, esp those hardcore christian folks

Woodsy said:
To keep myself motivated, I have sex. I would just have lots of sex with my gf at night and sleep well.
BLASPHEMY!!!!!

;)