What do you guys do with your gnarly shoes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TallScrubs

Coude Rockin' Everywhere
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm in the middle of my uro auditions and, as such, my shoes (crocs) get covered in all sorts of gnarly bodily fluids in a very 'sick' patient population. Question is what do you guys do with your gnarly, bodily fluid-covered shoes?

Right now I just put them in a shoebox in my trunk at the end of the day, but even then it kind of grosses me out. You guys disinfect them at all or anything like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Wash them. I understand Crocs can go in the dishwasher. My fabric Merrells can go in the washing machine. There are disinfectant sprays in the hospital you can use until you get home.

If they are too "gnarly", I throw them away.

If you're wearing crocs, you can usually scrub them in a scrub sink and they'll air dry in minutes. Worked great on trauma.

Reactions: 1 user
I leave them outside my apartment door. Previously, I once found my cat licking them. Since then, bleach wipes at the hospital when necessary and always always always left outside the door.

Reactions: 1 users
I wear them to the homes of people I secretly dislike :inpain:

I have rubber Birks that I occasionally rinse off in the tub or a big sink. Seems to work fairly well.

Wear shoe covers religiously. These aren't foolproof as they can get soaked through with sufficient amounts of blood/amniotic fluid. If you wear 'regular' shoes (tennis shoes/sneakers) like I do, wipe down the bottoms pretty regularly with cavi wipes. Every 6 months or so, I take them to a laundromat and throw them in a washing machine with detergent and some bleach. Come out pristine. Just dry them in front of a fan. Otherwise I store them in a shoebox in my car.

And we wonder how the traditionally hospital acquired antibiotic resistant bugs are now becoming community acquired bugs.
Something tells me that somebody washing their shoes with bleach at the laundromat isn't the big infection control risk you are making it out to be.