What do you guys read as an Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rookie

lankadoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well between the 10 hours alloted a day for you to eat, shower, maintain a marriage and be a good parent, and oh by the way sleep a little, what are you interns and residents alike reading to keep up with that new concept "evidence based medicine?" I gave up on reading Tintinalli because it was competing with Versed in potency of making me comatose after a long day.
I have been using Carol Rivers Board Prep books and found that to be helpful and not too painful. I was looking to see if you had any better resources. God I love intern year :rolleyes: Good luck on the Match!
Only 9hours and 45 minutes left before going back to work :eek: .....

Members don't see this ad.

Keyboard magazine, the restoration hardware catalog, and Newsweek. Occasionally Rosen.

I seriously regret not listening to my chief last year and buying this book: color atlas of emergency medicine.

Its is awesome, easy to read.

I tried tintinalli. I tried rosen. I only use them when I am looking up something for a presentation.

I use alot of online stuff (I love google, mdconsult, and EMR)

Then of course, I just finished Port Mungo and Micheal Chabon's newest. Now I am reading Seven Types of Ambiguity. And there is always a Dwell and a Cook's Illustrated nearby.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently reading "The Great Infleunza" by John Barry... nonfiction about the Infleunza of 1918. Great read... bought it at the airport in Denver, CO.

Also read:
Car and Driver, Autoweek, and occasionally Electronic Gaming Monthly.

I did happen to buy Muscle Fitness today at the grocery store just because I am so out of shape its not even funny (especially since my wife is a cheerleader).

Oh yeah I read Annals of EM every once in a while. Got this month's issue today but haven't un-shrink-wrapped it yet.

Q

Apollyon said:
Huh? You seriously regret buying this book, but it's awesome and easy to read? Did your chief tell you not to buy the book?

No, I regret NOT buying the book as an intern.

I love cooks illustrated. Best cooking magazine ever.

Seaglass said:
I love cooks illustrated. Best cooking magazine ever.
Better than Cooking Light? I was thinking of adding a second cooking magazine, and Bon Appetit was catching my eye... might have to look into Cooks Illustrated. Does it have a swimsuit edition?

Q

QuinnNSU said:
... bought it at the airport in Denver, CO.

Q

What the hell? You where in Denver and you didn't even stop by for a beer? :D

Cooks illustrated is great. Bon Apetite is for posers. Cooks Illustrated is really good if you have sort of a nerd/scientific bent to your cooking. They treat every recipe like an experiment and adjust every variable to see what works best and what really doesn't matter. It really appeals to the biochemist in me. I also like their cook book "Best Recipes"

As for the rest of Roja's list: Dwell is cool but sometimes I prefer Wallpaper. Chabon is great and I also just finished some stuff by Jonathon Lethem and Neil Stephenson. Anyone subscribe to McSweeney's? I never really liked Tintanelli but it is a quicker read. I used Rosen for more specific reading and made heavy use of on line resources like MDconsult, Emedicine, and Up-To-Date. I skim through Annals each month and read a bunch of other stuff more related to the nerd side of my life.

I consistantly love Dwell. I used to adore NEST but sadly, they closed up shop. *sob*

I think cooking illustrated is without a doubt the BEST cooking magazine ever.

I couldn't get through Stephenson's latest series. I have read Snowcrash at least 5 times.

Here are the ER books I couldn't live without:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...iid=I2L84Z83US68I&v=glance&colid=IWL9OO8OWHP9

(knoop)

I also love Ma's Emergency Ultrasound book. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...iid=IT5EAW9X8HBNM&v=glance&colid=IWL9OO8OWHP9

This book is also crucial: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...id=I342AIH6E11LQ1&v=glance&colid=IWL9OO8OWHP9
I actually have found it to be immensely helpful as a general text.

For EKG's (at which I was a complete ****** at when starting residency) I couldn't have survived without this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...0/sr=2-2/002-0732192-7264031?v=glance&s=books I also have thier book on arrythmia's.

Yeah, bon-appetit is not so great IMHO. I used to get it but there wasn't anything in there I really wanted to make, and half the time when I did it wasn't so good. The recipes in Cook's Illustrated are practically guarunteed to come out right if you folow the directions, I've only had one or two crap out on me. I have about 3-4 years worth of issues and I've done maybe 10% of the recipes. I have enought to last for years. Two of my favorites - roasted lemon chicken and molasses cookies.

ERMudPhud said:
What the hell? You where in Denver and you didn't even stop by for a beer? :D
Could have used a beer AND some Diamox. The altitude absolutely killed me. For two days I was textbook for mountain sickness. Yuck! The worst part was the apnea at night. I can live with the symptoms of Class IV Heart Failure but don't mess with my sleep!

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
Could have used a beer AND some Diamox. The altitude absolutely killed me. For two days I was textbook for mountain sickness. Yuck! The worst part was the apnea at night. I can live with the symptoms of Class IV Heart Failure but don't mess with my sleep!

Q

How high were you? Must have been sleeping at 9000 or 10000 feet if you were that sick. Next time come to Denver for a few days to acclimate and drink beer and then we'll show you the good stuff in the mountains. Next year I'm planning a trip to Wolf Creek pass and Silverton Mountain (Lift serviced, expert terrain with guides and they sell less than 100 tickets per day so you get lots of fresh tracks)

Hey Roja, which Chabon are you reading? Kavalier & Clay is probably my favorite novel. I'm re-reading it now, in fact.
I'm also reading Jared Diamond's latest, Collapse - kind of a pt. 2 to Guns, Germs, & Steel which is about the most educational book I ever read, and darn good too.
As for McSweeny's - I thouroughly enjoyed both of the Chabon-edited short story collections. I preferred The Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories, not just because of the wonderfully alliterative title, but also because I've always been a sucker for ghost stories.

I read pitchforkmedia.com on a daily basis. The people on that site may be total snobs, but they recommend some pretty great music.
I don't read any cooking magazines, however, it's all about experimenting in my kitchen. The results are, admittedly, quite variable.

ERMudPhud said:
How high were you? Must have been sleeping at 9000 or 10000 feet if you were that sick. Next time come to Denver for a few days to acclimate and drink beer and then we'll show you the good stuff in the mountains. Next year I'm planning a trip to Wolf Creek pass and Silverton Mountain (Lift serviced, expert terrain with guides and they sell less than 100 tickets per day so you get lots of fresh tracks)

I was at 7500ft in Laramie, and I couldn't sleep enough the first two days. A neighbor of my friends' said it was great, because he could drink all the beer he wanted and enjoy it, and, when he went to sea level (or, at least, lower), and he could drink like an absolute fish.

I didn't spend too much time in Denver - just into the airport, then to Wyoming, but then went back one night for Elitch Gardens. Hell yeah!

QuinnNSU said:

Q

Flatlanders....

I read Maxim (the terrorism article this month is truly scary! Esp since the wife and I go to the Beverly Center every now and then...), Newsweek, and skim thru the Annals (Love those new capsules!).

I was doing the Emergency Medicine Reports for the CMEs, but it is awful pricey, so I will switch to another CME throw away this year...

Yeah sure the terrorism article. I love the journalism on Maxim. That's why I tune in :laugh:

ERMudPhud said:

Breckenridge is at 8500, I think, but our ski house was a 10-15 minute drive UP a mountain, so I think it was 9500-10000 feet... read: pain. We spent one night at Silverthorne, maybe an hour from Denver, wasn't enough to acclimate.

But I hear taking Diamox and drinking beer doesn't mix.

And what's up with the beer at the grocery store being only 2-3% ETOH? Pretty weak, and to think they make beer in Colorado.

Q

spyderdoc said:
I read Maxim (the terrorism article this month is truly scary! Esp since the wife and I go to the Beverly Center every now and then...), Newsweek, and skim thru the Annals (Love those new capsules!).

I haven't read a Maxim in years, but it was at the ski house when I was in Colorado, and it was my reading of choice when I was on the throne. Believe it or not it was a pretty interesting article... especially the one on the mall assault, or the ship bomb in Houston.

And the "sex advice from celebrities" article. Man, where was Ice-T's advice when I was single?!?!

Q

WilcoWorld said:
Hey Roja, which Chabon are you reading? Kavalier & Clay is probably my favorite novel. I'm re-reading it now, in fact.
I'm also reading Jared Diamond's latest, Collapse - kind of a pt. 2 to Guns, Germs, & Steel which is about the most educational book I ever read, and darn good too.
As for McSweeny's - I thouroughly enjoyed both of the Chabon-edited short story collections. I preferred The Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories, not just because of the wonderfully alliterative title, but also because I've always been a sucker for ghost stories.

I read pitchforkmedia.com on a daily basis. The people on that site may be total snobs, but they recommend some pretty great music.
I don't read any cooking magazines, however, it's all about experimenting in my kitchen. The results are, admittedly, quite variable.

I am reading Chabon's numbers. I really liked Cavalier but Numbers I didn't like as much.

I just finished port mungo by Patrick McGrath and am now reading seven types of ambiguity by elliot perlman. I also just read election by Perralta.

QuinnNSU said:
Breckenridge is at 8500, I think, but our ski house was a 10-15 minute drive UP a mountain, so I think it was 9500-10000 feet... read: pain. We spent one night at Silverthorne, maybe an hour from Denver, wasn't enough to acclimate.

But I hear taking Diamox and drinking beer doesn't mix.

And what's up with the beer at the grocery store being only 2-3% ETOH? Pretty weak, and to think they make beer in Colorado.

Q

Spending the night in Silverthorne probably didn't help much since it is about the same altitude as Breck 9000 ft or so. The 3.2% beer is a hold over from years ago when Colorado had a law that you could drink 3.2% beer (and buy it in grocery stores) at age 18. The 18 year old drinking age was cool when I was 18 but that part of the law is long gone leaving just a legacy of weak grocery store beer.