What do you guys think about Acupuncture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistdream

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi~
I am a student learning about the acupuncture.
How do MDs or you guys think about the acupuncture? Do you believe in it?
Are you willing to learn about the acupuncture and perform in your clinic, etc?

Thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dentistdream:
•Hi~
I am a student learning about the acupuncture.
How do MDs or you guys think about the acupuncture? Do you believe in it?
Are you willing to learn about the acupuncture and perform in your clinic, etc?

Thanks~•

I know several anesthesiologist who have been practicing for quite some time (10+ years) getting courses/certification in acupuncture. So apparantly the willingness is out there. I don't know if they'll implement it, but one of the MDs I talked to said she might use it. I think the program was run through UCLA.

Members don't see this ad :)
--
Contrats to the above post for your study in acupuncture (the long study will really open your eyes as to how you view today's medical system). I think everybody here has their own personal opinions and viewpoints regarding on the use of acupuncture and I think that is great. The fact that the 5,000 year old practice of acupuncture has even made it's way into leading medical journals, med schools, hospitals/integrative clinics, and into this SDN chatroom is great (something that wouldn't have happened 20 years ago).

To answer the original posts question-
For me personally, under the guidance and supervision of a licensed, and experienced acupuncturist (one who has 30+ clinical experience, and is well-versed in the practice of Chinese herbs, tuina massage, tai chi and ((qi-gong)) <-- very important!) patients will experience significant improvements in their condition. These lists of conditions can be found in the research panel conducted by the NIH, as well as the findings of other health organizations (ie. WHO)-and also if you have the opportunity of watching alongside the practice of a Chinese medical practitioner.

But believing whether if acupuncture works is a different matter. Your understanding and appreciation of acupuncture as a time-tested and effective medical system can only come about, if you yourselves are the patient, not the observer. To me, this is a major stubling block for many, but once you get over it, your well on your way.

As far as whether if I will learn about acupuncture and plan on using it in practice-without a doubt, yes. Not to withstand the strength of allopathic medicine, but having had the opportunity to work alongside a Chinese medical practitioner for 17 years, and having seen the limits of conventional medicine and the toll it has taken on many patients, I think that many hospitals and physicians will slowly start to embrace acupuncture, and incoporate it into their
practice even more (although many physicians and hospitals have already started to do that today) Learning acupuncture may not be the norm, but it will definetely make you fluent in two arts of medicine and make you an even more versatile physician.
:)

------------
"Walk on right side of the road, safe; walk on left side of the road, safe; walk in the middle of the road, get squished like grape."

I am in Chinese medical school studying acupunture and Tui Na (Chinese medical massage). I am amazed every single day at the effectiveness of this medicine. I am in the process of applying for Western medical school so I am by no means "anti-western medicine". They complement each other very well. Chinese medicine covers many areas that Western medicine has limited effectiveness and vice versa. I look forward to being able to pull from both of these modalities when I begin practicing medicine.

Where I work, there was a RN with an extremely bad migraine and couldn't function on her job that day. One of the doctors from Taiwan happened to know accupuncture and asked if she would like to have it done on her. She agreed. He used a 20-gauge needle and inserted the needle near the thumb and index finger. Her migraine immediately went away and the doctor is now her hero. Everyone in the ER, including myself, was very intrigued by the whole thing.