What do you guys think about this Altius logic about proteins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Altius says that "more disordered proteins are more soluble than those that are ordered".... is this right, because I'm pretty sure there is no reason for us to know something so specific that as far as I could see is still being researched.

Members don't see this ad.

If a solute (in this case protein) is more disorganized, it has higher entropy, greater randomness and more possible microstates - so it would be more soluble. If a solute is highly organized, there would be more bonds between the solute molecules holding it together which would make it less soluble.

This concept applies to any solute-solvent relationship and its important to keep entropy in mind.

@victorias What about hydrophobicity and hydrophilicity in relation to disorder is there a general rule for that or can it go either way. I only knew a general rule for hydrophillicity and hydrophobicity and solubility. How could a highly ordered protein with alot of hydrophillic chains be less soluble than a highly disordered protein with all hydrophobic regions ....

It is really specific to the actual protein - what degree of hydrophobicity/hydrophilicity and what degree of order/disorder. Of course, you have to look at both factors and evaluate on a case by case basis.