What do you guys think I should do? 19P MCAT, 3.4 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rls303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
27 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA (including some CC courses)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hope you are considering DO schools, and not just MD.

Regardless, you are going to need to get your MCAT score up. Whatever you did to study the last two times... don't do that. If you strike out again on the MCAT I'd say it's time to call it quits and look into a different career. So, give the MCAT one last try and make sure you are ready this time.

I'll keep my comments to the DO application process, as this seems the more reachable goal for you at this point:

SMPs are for those with low GPAs. Yours isn't that bad for DO schools (average for those entering DO school =3.48) and you have all of this year to raise it higher and establish an upward grade trend. And you generally need a competitive MCAT score to get into an SMP.

An MPH won't improve your candidacy for med school, except at those DO schools that consider a grad level GPA; not all do. Get the MPH only if you want it for its own sake. A hard science masters might help at some schools, if your sGPA is low. But more undergrad science classes with great grades will accomplish the same thing.

Your BS and PS aren't terrible. It is mainly the VS that you need to conquer. If you haven't, you might do a Search in the MCAT Discussions Forum on strategies for improving the verbal score.

If you haven't made a good start in gaining clinical experience and shadowing, and providing nonmedical community service to demonstrate your commitment to the underserved, then you aren't ready to apply soon, anyhow. Your research and teaching look fine though. And "clubs" don't help you anyway, unless you use them as a springboard to leadership or community service, both of which you can find on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to update you guys, I reported incorrect numbers by mistake, I checked today and my GPA is 3.37 overall and 3.23 for BCPM.

I am working to improve my MCAT as much as I possibly can. I hope it will be sufficient.

However, I am interested particularly at UCI, my alma mater, is there anything I can do to improve my chances there, as in a post-bac program? ( I already posted more on this on another thread). However, I am still considering DO schools and MD schools equally. UCI is just one of my dream schools.

I have also been regularly shadowing an internist and family practice physician.

If I want to have a chance at UCI or any allopathic school, will I be better off by doing an SMP or just doing a post-bac program at UCI or even Cal State Fullerton? http://www.fullerton.edu/health_professions/congrats/index.html

What do you guys think my chances are at some carribean schools like Ross and SGU? Provided my MCAT is say a 30 (I'm hoping my practice can attain that...Catalystik, I have been going through some verbal prep tips...thanks! :)

Thanks in advance

With a 19 you have absolutely no chance. Bring that 3V to at least a 7 and then you can start talking DO school. Forget MD entirely.

Well, I thought I would post back here. I took the MCAT today and I'm in complete shock as to how difficult this exam was compared to the last two. Totally out of this world.

I kept new strategies for VR though so hopefully it will reflect in my score.

I had a rough quarter and I got two C's in my science classes. I am improving the GPA though. As far as leadership goes, what do you suggest? I am really put off by the arrogant and dishonest practices that take place at the clubs at UCI. Not all of them just a few of them. It seems only "favorites" are elected and it's more of a friendship thing. I just enjoy the community service aspect of the clubs.

Would my role as a tutor be of any help as a leadership one? I have not only tutored students who come to me for help with Ochem, but I have guided them as well. I have told them what classes to take, given them my books and advised them on mcat related things.

Due to my bad performance last quarter, I think my GPA will remain at 3.4 by the time I graduate this June. With a few summer session classes this upcoming session, it is a stretch to say that my GPA might increase to 3.5 and will only be 3.2 in sciences.

My non-science (Humanities, Arts, English classes GPA) is a 3.8 if that is worth anything to any school.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I have to be realistic as well. I had been doing good practice tests...but BOOM the real thing came today and completely blew me away. I am going to be realistic and say I got a 7 or 8P , 6 or 7 Verbal, 9 or 10 bio....24 or 25...would some schools "mix and match" my sub scores to give me the highest cumulative score?

I feel like such a failure and idiot. Not for this MCAT, but totally screwing up last quarter (UCI is so horrible to its Bio majors when it comes to labs). I guarantee you I know more about actual Human Physiology than half of the people who got A's in my Bio Physio Lab, but the fact that all 3 of my midterms and finals were on the same day really hurt me.

I'm really writing an essay here, but I am dealing with a lot of personal issues at the moment and want to start medical school ASAP. I am okay with just leaving one gap year but that is it. I don't mean to sound demanding or acting like I deserve this more than others, but is there any type of masters program that you guys can suggest for me?

If your MCAT score isn't at least ~24 this time, I think you need to take a break. Spend a year getting your life sorted out and taking the time to study for the MCAT. Keep up with ECs as well. Don't just take MCAT practice exams.. pickup the examkrackers 1001 problem books and make sure you have the subjects down before retaking.

It sounds like you REALLY need to get your life in order. You can't let your sister and whatever else drag you down completely. If you get into school, you'll be hard pressed for at least 7 years once you start. You can't let things affect you this much.

So, if you didn't do well.. keep up ECs, study hard for a retake, get a job/live for a year, come up with a really good personal statement. You need to leave excuses (sister + crime, etc) out of your statement/interviews though. Everyone has problems.

If you do ok on the MCAT (24+), your gpa should be fine for DO schools.

Well, I thought I would post back here. I took the MCAT today and I'm in complete shock as to how difficult this exam was compared to the last two. Totally out of this world.

I kept new strategies for VR though so hopefully it will reflect in my score.

I had a rough quarter and I got two C's in my science classes. I am improving the GPA though. As far as leadership goes, what do you suggest? I am really put off by the arrogant and dishonest practices that take place at the clubs at UCI. Not all of them just a few of them. It seems only "favorites" are elected and it's more of a friendship thing. I just enjoy the community service aspect of the clubs.

Would my role as a tutor be of any help as a leadership one? I have not only tutored students who come to me for help with Ochem, but I have guided them as well. I have told them what classes to take, given them my books and advised them on mcat related things.

Due to my bad performance last quarter, I think my GPA will remain at 3.4 by the time I graduate this June. With a few summer session classes this upcoming session, it is a stretch to say that my GPA might increase to 3.5 and will only be 3.2 in sciences.

My non-science (Humanities, Arts, English classes GPA) is a 3.8 if that is worth anything to any school.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I have to be realistic as well. I had been doing good practice tests...but BOOM the real thing came today and completely blew me away. I am going to be realistic and say I got a 7 or 8P , 6 or 7 Verbal, 9 or 10 bio....24 or 25...would some schools "mix and match" my sub scores to give me the highest cumulative score?

I feel like such a failure and idiot. Not for this MCAT, but totally screwing up last quarter (UCI is so horrible to its Bio majors when it comes to labs). I guarantee you I know more about actual Human Physiology than half of the people who got A's in my Bio Physio Lab, but the fact that all 3 of my midterms and finals were on the same day really hurt me.

I'm really writing an essay here, but I am dealing with a lot of personal issues at the moment and want to start medical school ASAP. I am okay with just leaving one gap year but that is it. I don't mean to sound demanding or acting like I deserve this more than others, but is there any type of masters program that you guys can suggest for me?

You need to seek out someone from UCI's student counseling program. You have been dealing with a lot of family issues, difficult courses and trying to take the MCAT and start an application all at the same time. There are no SMP/Master's/Anything else programs that will ever get you into an MD program. You will never get an acceptance from UCI; your stats are just not good enough, you now have a downward trend, and your MCAT score is many standard deviations below average accepted students. It just simply isn't in the cards for you. I don't think that you are in a place to accept that right now though, and really hope that you take advantage of the services your school provides as part of your tuition. Please go talk to someone regarding the feelings of failure. You aren't a failure, but your expectations need to be brought into line with what is possible. Best of luck.

8 AM Monday 2 hours final sucks donkey balls, but saying that you know more about actual Human Physiology than half of the people who got A's in your lab is a bit much. You must have been in my lab with Michelle as TA, our section was ridiculously competitive.

Did you take any AAMC practice tests before the real deal? Study hard for the MCAT this summer, take as many practice tests as you can, retake it, aim for 32+, apply to SMPs in the winter if you are dead set on getting into MD schools. CA MDs are no longer within your reach, unless you are URM.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had been doing really good on the practice exams that I took and I was starting to kill the Science sections and raise my verbal score. But what's done is done. Who know's? A miracle might come my way and I might have gotten a 30+?

I am going to take your advice about counseling and take it. I just hope that it won't affect my future at any schools.

My parent's are also divorcing at the moment and are selling the house due to all the onset of problems. It's very sad.

My friend was telling me about this linkage program at Western Univ @ Pomona. You must get a 24 MCAT and maintain a 3.0 GPA in the program and you are guaranteed a spot in the DO school. I'm committed to doing better in the time I have left, but my opportunities are limited as far as raising my UGPA seeing as though I'm going to be graduating in June and UCI does not let Bio majors stay beyond 4 years! :(

DO or MD doesn't really make a difference to me. There was also some type of a Masters linkage program at Temple that someone had suggested. Don't know if I'm too late to apply for it or the one at NJMS. Either way this MCAT is going to reveal a lot.

@ omgu8...I did good in the lecture for Physio and have tutored for it in the past, privately. But the final they gave us was outrageous. The curves were ridiculous.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had been doing really good on the practice exams that I took and I was starting to kill the Science sections and raise my verbal score. But what's done is done. Who know's? A miracle might come my way and I might have gotten a 30+?

I am going to take your advice about counseling and take it. I just hope that it won't affect my future at any schools.

My parent's are also divorcing at the moment and are selling the house due to all the onset of problems. It's very sad.

My friend was telling me about this linkage program at Western Univ @ Pomona. You must get a 24 MCAT and maintain a 3.0 GPA in the program and you are guaranteed a spot in the DO school. I'm committed to doing better in the time I have left, but my opportunities are limited as far as raising my UGPA seeing as though I'm going to be graduating in June and UCI does not let Bio majors stay beyond 4 years! :(

DO or MD doesn't really make a difference to me. There was also some type of a Masters linkage program at Temple that someone had suggested. Don't know if I'm too late to apply for it or the one at NJMS. Either way this MCAT is going to reveal a lot.

@ omgu8...I did good in the lecture for Physio and have tutored for it in the past, privately. But the final they gave us was outrageous. The curves were ridiculous.

I'm completing my 5th year at UCI and I know a handful of other people who are doing the same thing. There's no official rule that says bio major cannot stay for a 5th year, don't listen to counselors, don't apply to graduate, that's all.

The Western linkage program might be a good option for you but you still definitely need to retake that MCAT, The Temple linkage program ACMS/BCMS is outrageously competitive, I know people with 3.5 30 MCAT get rejected left and right.

Last edited:
I'm completing my 5th year at UCI and I know a handful of other people who are doing the same thing. There's no official rule that says bio major cannot stay for a 5th year, don't listen to counselors, don't apply to graduate, that's all.

The Western linkage program might be a good option for you but you still definitely need to retake that MCAT, The Temple linkage program ACMS/BCMS is outrageously competitive, I know people with 3.5 30 MCAT get rejected left and right.

:( Stupid me. I applied to graduate Spring Quarter last year, so I guess I'm stuck. I'm wondering if there is a way I can cancel my application to graduate this upcoming Spring. Are you a transfer student? I heard they let transfers stay 5 years. Regardless, I want to see how I can cancel my graduation.

How is the Wake Forest program? Or the UC Post-bac or SFSU programs? I'm sure they are all decently competitive and you must be disadvantaged, I doubt my family problems could be seen as disadvantaged as I think they tend to focus more on ethnicity and finances in that regard.

As much as I would hate to take the exam a 4th time, I am also worried that a lot of places will just shun me away even if I get a 40 because of the number of attempts...they don't want someone taking the boards multiple times.

I'm praying that somehow the curve will work in my favor and the hardwork and time that I put into preparing for the exam reflects...it will be a miracle, but miracles do happen!

Members don't see this ad :)
:( Stupid me. I applied to graduate Spring Quarter last year, so I guess I'm stuck. I'm wondering if there is a way I can cancel my application to graduate this upcoming Spring. Are you a transfer student? I heard they let transfers stay 5 years. Regardless, I want to see how I can cancel my graduation.

How is the Wake Forest program? Or the UC Post-bac or SFSU programs? I'm sure they are all decently competitive and you must be disadvantaged, I doubt my family problems could be seen as disadvantaged as I think they tend to focus more on ethnicity and finances in that regard.

As much as I would hate to take the exam a 4th time, I am also worried that a lot of places will just shun me away even if I get a 40 because of the number of attempts...they don't want someone taking the boards multiple times.

I'm praying that somehow the curve will work in my favor and the hardwork and time that I put into preparing for the exam reflects...it will be a miracle, but miracles do happen!

1. In order to cancel your graduation app, you have to meet with a counselor, and I doubt that she would let you do that, but it's worth a try. Yes, I am a transfer student but I finished my degree requirement last spring, I just simply did not send in my application. And I don't think this has anything to do with being transfer students since I know quite a few people who did the same thing and are not transfers. Staying for a 5th year is better IMHO, it would save you so much money from taking postbac classes and you have access to all the available resources.

2. UC postbaccs are for underprivileged kids (ethnically and economically) so I doubt that you are qualified but if you are desperate, you might want to give it a try. Cal State Fullerton postbacc is out of the question because it is for non-science majors only. You only CA option is Western MSMS and the DO linkage. However, that's only you have retaken the MCAT and gotten a better score. I wouldnt waste another 1 or 2 years doing more undergraduate work if I were you, we have been in school for too long, retake the MCAT, go DO and become a physician already.

As of right now I think your chance of getting into MD or DO schools are extremely low everywhere. California MD schools are insanely competitive, even if you somehow managed to score a 40 on the MCAT.

See, this is what I find confusing. These individuals should have no problem getting into Med school with their stats, so are they being rejected because they are overqualified or because they are under qualified?

From what I understood, SMP's don't look to accept people with high MCAT's and GPA's (Not too low of course) because they can get in already.

Just not sure why someone with a 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT is looking to apply to SMP.

See, this is what I find confusing. These individuals should have no problem getting into Med school with their stats, so are they being rejected because they are overqualified or because they are under qualified?

From what I understood, SMP's don't look to accept people with high MCAT's and GPA's (Not too low of course) because they can get in already.

Just not sure why someone with a 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT is looking to apply to SMP.

SMPs don't want to take on huge risks because they need to make their program look good. They are really designed for people who are on the cusp and many people who apply may be on waitlists already.

Most importantly, SMPs are for people with competitive MCAT scores and low science GPAs.

If you take the MCAT again, make sure you study with NOTHING ELSE ON YOUR PLATE. Graduate before studying for it again--you need to make it your number one priority and really, intensively prep for it. If you don't do well this next time, you might want to rethink your career path or spend a couple of years in a post-bacc before trying again.

If you aren't willing to take more than a year off before applying to medical school, your only shot is the DO route. Getting into those 1-year SMPs, especially those with linkage programs, would be pretty challenging with your stats--many of them have cut offs that are only slightly lower than the stats of those who successfully gain acceptance to allopathic medical schools.

Most of us out there have had multiple less-than-ideal professors and family drama (I know I've had both). Those problems never go away, and while you may be able to use them to explain away an isolated semester of poor grades, it won't suffice as an explanation for multiple years of them. Med schools want to know that you can handle your life challenges and still perform in an academic setting--just as physicians must overcome their personal problems and perform on the job.

My suggestion is to take a year off from school after graduation to get your life in order and take the MCAT one more time (and hopefully score at least in the 24-30 range). If you score adequately on the MCAT this time, apply to DO schools along with some post-bacc programs (and of course apply early and broadly). While waiting to hear back from programs, try to expand on your extra curriculars with a couple more clinical experiences (volunteer or paid).

If you change your mind about only waiting one extra year before starting med school and/or really want to go the allopathic route, go into a 2-year post-bacc program and make sure to ace it to bring up your GPA (so you're at least around a 3.6 and 30 MCAT by the time you apply). Use the post-bacc to show that you've learned to better juggle life's challenges with school and demonstrate that you've really gotten your act together, and you may have a shot at MD schools. Good luck.

SMPs don't want to take on huge risks because they need to make their program look good. They are really designed for people who are on the cusp and many people who apply may be on waitlists already.

Most importantly, SMPs are for people with competitive MCAT scores and low science GPAs.

Fair enough, I see it now. I just find it really hard to believe that someone with a 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA would want to spend all that $$$ on an SMP when they could honestly just take more classes to raise that GPA.

I currently go to midwestern (pharmacy, not med) and there is an MS1 who got in with an 18 (non URM) and a gpa around yours. I know n=1, but if your EC's are decent, I think you might have a shot at DO. Also, what book(s) are you using to study for the MCAT? Look in to BR for PS and EK passages for VR. Consult the MCAT forum for further advice.

I apolgize in advance just incase anyone thinks i am taking over but i am in the same predicament. I figured people who could help would be on this forum.. kk so here it is Graduated 2008. cgpa: 3.49 ~3.5, scigpa:3.69~3.7. Mcat first try: 16N( 3V,6PS,7B). Mcat Second try : 18Q.( 7V,6PS,5B). I am not interested in allopathic schools even if i had 45 on the mcat. I applied to several DO schools.. put on preinterview hold on a lot of them basically they cant decide if they should interview or not. i am in somewhat of a limbo. Although i applied late in the cycle due to financial hold ups. Still optimistic tho. Great EC'S, over 1500 hrs of volunteer work been doing it since 2006. Shadowed several osteo physicians . Loads of leadership positions. Ok so the question now is What should my plan b be. From my research i dont think i need a post bacc would work for me. except i am guaranteed acceptance if i maintain a certain gpa. As for the MCAT..I dont know what to think or say about it. Do i want to take it again? the answer is no.. might i have to? Yes but i am so scared cos that could be the deciding factor in whether i pursue my dream or not.. Hope i am not asking too much.

Thanks

I'd definitely look into Western's linked in SMP. My friend got accepted to it with a lower gpa and slightly better MCAT than you.

Graduated 2008.
cgpa: 3.49 ~3.5,
scigpa:3.69~3.7.
Mcat first try: 16N( 3V,6PS,7B). Mcat Second try : 18Q.( 7V,6PS,5B).

Do i want to take it again? the answer is no.. might i have to? Yes but i am so scared cos that could be the deciding factor in whether i pursue my dream or not..
As a physician, you will spend the rest of your life taking standardized tests to get licensed, become board certified, and to maintain certification. You need to slay this beast in order to proceed with your career dreams. Read Noshie's path to going from an MCAT in the teens to one that is competitive: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=774396

Thank you so much Catalystik and DessieW. i really appreciate your advice. @ millermoth. i appreciate the help but i am aware of the stats.. i can easily look those up and as my post said not interested in allo. Thanks again.

Thank you so much Catalystik and DessieW. i really appreciate your advice. @ millermoth. i appreciate the help but i am aware of the stats.. i can easily look those up and as my post said not interested in allo. Thanks again.

That was in response to OP's stats. Where did you come out of? LOL Sorry, I wasn't following the comments too closely.