What do you guys think of Big Brother/Big Sister?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Round786

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like a great idea to me, but the hours are absurdly low (less then 2hrs a week). I still have multiple years before I apply, so the number of hours isn’t an issue, but I honestly doubt the impact I could have with only 2 hours a week.

Also their site doesn’t explicitly mention the children being from a disadvantaged background (but I imagine the vast majority of them would be). Is that bad?

Should I search for another children’s organization with more hours and a focused mission?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is something you want to do, then do it. If you do two hours a week over several years, those will add up and you will certainly have a story to tell.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like a great idea to me, but the hours are absurdly low (less then 2hrs a week). I still have multiple years before I apply, so the number of hours isn’t an issue, but I honestly doubt the impact I could have with only 2 hours a week.

Also their site doesn’t explicitly mention the children being from a disadvantaged background (but I imagine the vast majority of them would be). Is that bad?

Should I search for another children’s organization with more hours and a focused mission?
I have a high regard for people who do this

Big Brothers/Big Sisters is a very well respected organization. It is low hours per week because it is a LONGITUDINAL mentoring program - having a consistent role model for that kid over years makes a much bigger impact than you being available for many hours over a couple months. Kids involved are almost always in need/high risk.

Reactions: 5 users
Big Brothers/Big Sisters is a very well respected organization. It is low hours per week because it is a LONGITUDINAL mentoring program - having a consistent role model for that kid over years makes a much bigger impact than you being available for many hours over a couple months. Kids involved are almost always in need/high risk.

Very good point that I somehow overlooked. I was apart of the program myself as a kid, but had a boring/sour time, so I more-or-less wanted to know if my experience was universal.