what do you guys think of caribbean medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make the right health career choice as a non-trad. I have a few friends who went to school with me back in undergrad and ended up going to med school in the caribbean. SABA, SGU, and Ross to be specific. Do you guys have any experience or anyone you know who went to carib medical schools? Whats the pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to make the right health career choice as a non-trad. I have a few friends who went to school with me back in undergrad and ended up going to med school in the caribbean. SABA, SGU, and Ross to be specific. Do you guys have any experience or anyone you know who went to carib medical schools? Whats the pros and cons?

Generally speaking, the Caribbean is kind of a last option if you apply and find that you're unable to get into US schools. Some people choose not to go the DO path, which tends to be friendlier towards non-trads and applicants with lower numbers, because they want the MD behind their name.

The Caribbean route makes it kind of harder to obtain a competitive residency; usually US grads are preferred by program directors over FMG's/IMG's. Of course, there are always exceptions.

If you can't get into a US school, then SGU, Ross, and a few others are pretty good options. Hope that helps.

Agreed, it's a pretty tough path if you want to do something even moderately competitive. Some fields are sufficiently hostile to DOs that a foreign MD would be a better choice. Other competitive specialties (Ortho comes to mind) are very DO-friendly but would probably almost never consider a foreign applicant.

You would probably be wise to apply to US med schools at least twice before heading to the Carribean. I mean, everyone knows what the deal is, no one will think you went there for the sunshine...

Members don't see this ad :)
Other competitive specialties (Ortho comes to mind) are very DO-friendly but would probably almost never consider a foreign applicant.

While it may be true that a couple of DOs have matched in allopathic ortho programs, I would not say that ortho was 'very DO-friendly'.

$0.02

There is a carribean board further down on SDN, where I'm sure the pros and cons have been discussed ad nauseum. As others have indicated, if the goal is to practice in the US, the path of least resistance is to attend med school in the US. But if that's not an option, these schools sometimes give folks a second chance.

Before this thread goes too far downhill...I agree that citing single examples really isn't helping anything. Also, don't forget that DO's have their own residencies in almost every specialty and that pretty much negates the effect of certain specialties in certain areas that still hold some bias. For example, my school matched 11 ortho, 17 EM, 10 Anest., 2 ENT, 7 gen surg, 1 Derm (upenn), etc, in the previous match

Before this thread goes too far downhill...I agree that citing single examples really isn't helping anything. Also, don't forget that DO's have their own residencies in almost every specialty and that pretty much negates the effect of certain specialties in certain areas that still hold some bias. For example, my school matched 11 ortho, 17 EM, 10 Anest., 2 ENT, 7 gen surg, 1 Derm (upenn), etc, in the previous match

Are those allo or osteo residencies in your list?

I wish you the best in your decision, as I know it is a very difficult one. I would suggest you follow your heart. If you love medicine and want to devote your life to it, then do it. I know you will be great regardless of the school you attend. You surely want to look at the US schools first, then possibly Europe, then the carib as a last resort. Some will disagree, but I think you will probably find better in Europe. I sure wish I had before coming to the carib; I have tried two carib "med" schools, and attended 1 other for 4 semesters, and I truly regret it. I am, however, really looking forward to Sint Eustatius. But, if you go the carib route, you should look at SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba. These are very good schools from what I have heard, and you sound like you have a lot to offer. Best wishes where ever you go!:)