what do you guys think of kentucky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotinwoof

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think of kentucky? i dont know anything about it.

Members don't see this ad.

hotinwoof said:

I'll save you some research time. I'm from KY and will be going to UK in the fall.

I think UK has an excellent DS. It is very clinically oriented...even first years get to work with real patients. The school performs some research, but is more focused on public health, especially with Lexington's poor and poor people in southeast KY. The equipment they have is very current and up to date. It's in the Chandler Medical Center, a large hospital downtown which also houses the med. and pharm. schools, and dental students end up taking lots of classes with med. school students, just because the dental school is small. I think a typical class is about 50 or so. It's also pretty affordable.

As far as Lexington goes, it has about 250 or 300k people. Still, it feels more like a small town. The crime rate is low and the city is clean. Bluegrass Airport is right outside town. There is a good public transit system, but most people drive around town. There is plenty of student-type housing in and around downtown. If you're from a big city, you would probably get bored, because there isn't a whole lot in Lex. besides UK.I On the bright side, you're about 40 min. from Louisville, about 1 hour from Cincy, and a couple hours or so from Nashville, Indy and Columbus.

Didn't mean to post this much, but figured I could squash this thread (which most of you guys aren't interested in) quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
OpenWide said:
I'll save you some research time. I'm from KY and will be going to UK in the fall.

I think UK has an excellent DS. It is very clinically oriented...even first years get to work with real patients. The school performs some research, but is more focused on public health, especially with Lexington's poor and poor people in southeast KY. The equipment they have is very current and up to date. It's in the Chandler Medical Center, a large hospital downtown which also houses the med. and pharm. schools, and dental students end up taking lots of classes with med. school students, just because the dental school is small. I think a typical class is about 50 or so. It's also pretty affordable.

As far as Lexington goes, it has about 250 or 300k people. Still, it feels more like a small town. The crime rate is low and the city is clean. Bluegrass Airport is right outside town. There is a good public transit system, but most people drive around town. There is plenty of student-type housing in and around downtown. If you're from a big city, you would probably get bored, because there isn't a whole lot in Lex. besides UK.I On the bright side, you're about 40 min. from Louisville, about 1 hour from Cincy, and a couple hours or so from Nashville, Indy and Columbus.

Didn't mean to post this much, but figured I could squash this thread (which most of you guys aren't interested in) quickly.

Good Info..Do they let out-of-staters pay in-state tuition after first year?

LMav said:
Do they let out-of-staters pay in-state tuition after first year?

Coming from experience..... no.

UKCD 2000

hotinwoof said:

besides their fried chicken i cant say anything else. :laugh:

I was o ut of state.. the friends i made in town were very charming and the people from kentucky are nice.. takes a bit to get used to them but they are very nice.. after finishing there i felt i was one of them.. It took me 2 years to get used to it down t here.. the campus is impressive.. they have everything a state school would ever want.. I felt the medical school was very very very malignant.. pretty much every single department. I made it thorugh.. its also very cut throat there i felt. even the first few years.. The women are absolutely beautiful..... The social life is easy.. there are not too many places you can hang out at. .. you dont have to hang out with med students if you dont want. big drinking town.. Lexington is a cute place and they know how to party.. I think its changed since ive been t here.. It grew so much in the 4 years i was there.. I mean hamburg was non existent when i was there.. the mall on virginia ave was non existent... it just grew by leaps and bounds.. there are like 6 major hospitals in the city now the va, central baptist, st joes, st joe east, UK and samaritan hospital.. I went down for a visit last year and was really impressed..

you will like the city.. I had so much friggin fun there. I still miss it.. i did not like the medical school too much..