Laito

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hi, OMS II here.

I want to get some opinions on my board prep plan (COMLEX and USMLE step I)

Fall semester: Bros deck + Pathoma + Sketchy + B&B relevant to the class material + Kaplan Q bank (free)
Winter break: Keep working on Bros + finish Kaplan Q bank
Spring semester: Finish Bros deck + Pathoma + Sketchy + 1 pass Uworld

Dedicated : 8 weeks
1st 6 weeks
-Pathoma 1 pass
-Sketchy 1 pass
-2nd pass Uworld
-B&B + FA (1 pass?)
-Brosdeck until week 6

Final 2 weeks
-Keep doing Uworld
-NBME x2
-2nd pass Pathoma
-2nd pass FA
-3x days Green book after taking USMLE.

I feel like I'm weak on my foundation. Do you think this will be enough for >230-240? Or is it too much? Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi, OMS II here.

Fall semester: Bros deck + Pathoma + Sketchy + B&B relevant to the class material + Kaplan Q bank (free)

1st 6 weeks
-Pathoma 1 pass
-Sketchy 1 pass
-2nd pass Uworld
-B&B + FA (1 pass?)
-Brosdeck until week 6

Final 2 weeks
-Keep doing Uworld
-NBME x2
-2nd pass Pathoma
-2nd pass FA

I feel like I'm weak on my foundation. Do you think this will be enough for >230-240? Or is it too much? Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Of course you're weak on your foundation, you haven't even covered half of it yet.

Your plan of course sounds good, but I don't think it will be feasible to be able to do both Bros deck and B&B/Path/Sketchy combo and a question bank and expect to keep up with class work. Something will have to be dropped and it will depend on how you study/what you find most effective. I think in terms of importance it's Pathoma > Sketchy > qbank > B&B and then Bros deck, but that's just an N=1.

I would also add more NBMEs + UWSA1 in your first six weeks. You need to know where you stand. Then add UWSA2 very close to the real deal.

Reactions: zincmask
OP
Laito

Laito

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Of course you're weak on your foundation, you haven't even covered half of it yet.

Your plan of course sounds good, but I don't think it will be feasible to be able to do both Bros deck and B&B/Path/Sketchy combo and a question bank and expect to keep up with class work. Something will have to be dropped and it will depend on how you study/what you find most effective. I think in terms of importance it's Pathoma > Sketchy > qbank > B&B and then Bros deck, but that's just an N=1.

I would also add more NBMEs + UWSA1 in your first six weeks. You need to know where you stand. Then add UWSA2 very close to the real deal.
Thanks for the comment. I agree that it's a lot to keep up with class work. It has been quite time consuming following that plan last semester. I've been studying 10-14 hours daily.

My routine for our systems course has been:
1)watch lecture x1
2)pick out relevant bros deck
3)create anki deck that isn't covered in bros.
4)Watch relevant pathoma/B&B/sketchy x1
5)Memorize bros everyday (3-4 hours)
6)Do Kaplan Qbank 2 days before the exam

I'm still kind of not sure how to tackle the dedicated study time. Do you think it's a solid plan, other than adding the more practice exams?

About the Ads

Rekt

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the comment. I agree that it's a lot to keep up with class work. It has been quite time consuming following that plan last semester. I've been studying 10-14 hours daily.

My routine for our systems course has been:
1)watch lecture x1
2)pick out relevant bros deck
3)create anki deck that isn't covered in bros.
4)Watch relevant pathoma/B&B/sketchy x1
5)Memorize bros everyday (3-4 hours)
6)Do Kaplan Qbank 2 days before the exam

I'm still kind of not sure how to tackle the dedicated study time. Do you think it's a solid plan, other than adding the more practice exams?
Yeah, but make sure you're not putting UWorld by the wayside or to "just do it". I spent around 8hours a day on UWorld alone during dedicated. By far the most important resource.

OP
Laito

Laito

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, but make sure you're not putting UWorld by the wayside or to "just do it". I spent around 8hours a day on UWorld alone during dedicated. By far the most important resource.
Oh wow. How many questions did you do per day? And how many hours did you spend studying per day during the dedicated?

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think I averaged about 70-80 questions a day with around 4 hours review, so 6 hours a day. But I also wouldn't advise going nuts and doing over 100 for multiple days either tbh. I think doing uworld once and going through it well beats going through it twice but fast. This also not to mention that I honestly think uworld is a major drain on sanity during dedicated. It'll chew you up hard.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Based on your 8 weeks for boards I think we go to the same school and I landed within the higher end of your range of scores. I think you'll find it really difficult to really do significant boards prep second year without sacrificing sanity and being burnt out. Focus on robbins, keep yourself healthy, and start studying closer to spring break. In the meantime read first aid to supplement your courses, pathoma, sketchy, and maybe 50 questions from kaplan a week.

I didn't study for boards in any respect until spring break btw. I would have been far too exhausted otherwise.

OP
Laito

Laito

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Based on your 8 weeks for boards I think we go to the same school and I landed within the higher end of your range of scores. I think you'll find it really difficult to really do significant boards prep second year without sacrificing sanity and being burnt out. Focus on robbins, keep yourself healthy, and start studying closer to spring break. In the meantime read first aid to supplement your courses, pathoma, sketchy, and maybe 50 questions from kaplan a week.

I didn't study for boards in any respect until spring break btw. I would have been far too exhausted otherwise.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep those in mind!

BorntobeDO?

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Man you don't even have Vanki on there? Or DIT, or Firekracker? Or Golgin or w/e his name is. Clearly a repeat year and primary care are in your future.
Why bros over zanki?
If you don't like Sketchy, you don't like Vanki

12glaucoma34

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hi, OMS II here.

1st 6 weeks
-Pathoma 1 pass
-Sketchy 1 pass
-2nd pass Uworld
-B&B + FA (1 pass?)
-Brosdeck until week 6

Final 2 weeks
-Keep doing Uworld
-NBME x2
-2nd pass Pathoma
-2nd pass FA

First, calm down. Focus on your classes this semester and don't worry too much about boards. You still have sooooo much to learn before boards. After Christmas, start building up to board examination time. You do not want to burn yourself out from board studying before dedicated study time. Focus on doing well in your classes and do some practice questions if time allows.

About the Ads