What do you guys think of Robbins Reivew of Pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just bought this book a month back and I love it. Some of the questions are hard but on the whole, I'm doing ok (with about 5-6 mistakes in some chapters.) Do you think it's a useful resource for preparing for Step 1?

My main texts are Robbins Basic Pathology and the pocket companion books so I think this book goes well with these two texts. Has anybody else used it? If so, did they find it useful in preparing for Step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely worth buying, but it's important to realize that many of the questions are way more detailed than what you're going to need to know.

I think it's great. Haven't used it much during step1 prep, but it was very useful during the school year.

Btw, getting only 5 questions wrong per chapter is pretty damn good.

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously considering going through Robbins Review this weekend before taking the Path shelf. I used it during the school year and it was super helpful. I was gonna read Goljan again but I'm pretty burned out and the only way to learn sometimes is doing questions........ ugh

Yes, I agree. When I get really tired of studying Pathology, I do the questions from this book and I read the explanations and annotate each question so that I'll be able to read these important points when I'm reviewing for Step 1 rather than reading the lengthy explanations at the end of the chapter. It's actually not too boring for me.

I just don't know if this would help me for the Step 1 though 'cause I think Goljan is ultimately the best resource for Step 1 (and may be BRS too, I'm not sure) and I can't stand books that just outline stuff (but I admit a lot of the points mentioned on there are really good and I'm sure they're pretty high yield.)

i think its an excellent book and worrying about whether or not **** is 'integrative' is overblown (speaking specifically about step 1). The questions help you focus in hard on the key points that will allow you to differentiate your diagnosis, and ignore most of the extraneous data about diseases that doesn't lead to narrowing a differential.

plus if you regard U world as excellent because the questions are difficult and 'make you think' then by that logic review of path is again an excellent book.

Yes this is a great book. I would recommend using it during pathology second year and also while studying for Step 1.