Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I am currently waiting on interview invites, and have none so far. I am trying to find a backup plan in case I don't get an interview invite. I was looking at the DIY online post-bacc at UNE, because I need to work to live, and do not have time to do classroom instruction. My options are:

1. Study for the MCAT to retake...as my first score was a 502 (126-124-126-126)

2. DIY online post bacc at UNE.

My questions are...what do you guys think of this online UNE Post-bacc? Is it good? Is it doable? Is it going to help me with DO schools in terms of admission?

*Also, if you think this is good, how many classes should I take? What classes should I take? I have completed all my pre-reqs and finished a degree in Biochemistry last Spring, and have a cGPA of 3.20 and sGPA of 3.21.

CJhooper123

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I am currently waiting on interview invites, and have none so far. I am trying to find a backup plan in case I don't get an interview invite. I was looking at the DIY online post-bacc at UNE, because I need to work to live, and do not have time to do classroom instruction. My options are:

1. Study for the MCAT to retake...as my first score was a 502 (126-124-126-126)

2. DIY online post bacc at UNE.

My questions are...what do you guys think of this online UNE Post-bacc? Is it good? Is it doable? Is it going to help me with DO schools in terms of admission?

*Also, if you think this is good, how many classes should I take? What classes should I take? I have completed all my pre-reqs and finished a degree in Biochemistry last Spring, and have a cGPA of 3.20 and sGPA of 3.21.

I think the PB route is a good idea. If you can crush ~20 credits w/ A's, you should be set for DO. Not sure how successful students have been in the past w/ an online PB. I have spoken to several DO schools re: the PB route, and most of them prefer that you attend class in-person. That being said, doing an online PB would be better than not doing a PB at all. I had a low GPA out of undergrad (3.02) and opted for the DIY PB (nononline)... have been taking classes through Harvard Extension, BU, and Northeaster... my GPA is now at 3.17.. I am hoping it will work out next cycle.

Re: your MCAT... I also think this could be retaken. 502 I believe, is the avg. matriculation for DO students in the US. But given the fact that your GPA is below avg, it might be wise to try and add on a few extra points. Personally, I was forced to retake the MCAT a second time. I got a 504 the first time and retook it a few days ago (hoping for 508+). If you think you can add a few points on w/out going below a 123 for a subsection... go for it. I also spent HOURS... studying for this thing... like too much time (~2,000 hours)

Finally... stay positive. You definitely ARE NOT OUT OF IT THIS CYCLE. You could get rejected by 29 schools and have 1 II... but that's all you need. People have gotten in w/ your numbers. However... if you did a PB (~20 credits) w/ all A's and maybe a 504/505 MCAT... I don't think you would leave anything on the table.

Good Luck

OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
I think the PB route is a good idea. If you can crush ~20 credits w/ A's, you should be set for DO. Not sure how successful students have been in the past w/ an online PB. I have spoken to several DO schools re: the PB route, and most of them prefer that you attend class in-person. That being said, doing an online PB would be better than not doing a PB at all. I had a low GPA out of undergrad (3.02) and opted for the DIY PB (nononline)... have been taking classes through Harvard Extension, BU, and Northeaster... my GPA is now at 3.17.. I am hoping it will work out next cycle.

Re: your MCAT... I also think this could be retaken. 502 I believe, is the avg. matriculation for DO students in the US. But given the fact that your GPA is below avg, it might be wise to try and add on a few extra points. Personally, I was forced to retake the MCAT a second time. I got a 504 the first time and retook it a few days ago (hoping for 508+). If you think you can add a few points on w/out going below a 123 for a subsection... go for it. I also spent HOURS... studying for this thing... like too much time (~2,000 hours)

Finally... stay positive. You definitely ARE NOT OUT OF IT THIS CYCLE. You could get rejected by 29 schools and have 1 II... but that's all you need. People have gotten in w/ your numbers. However... if you did a PB (~20 credits) w/ all A's and maybe a 504/505 MCAT... I don't think you would leave anything on the table.

Good Luck
Decisions, decisions haha. What classes did you take for your post-bacc?

About the Ads
Jul 22, 2017
Is there a community college around you that offers upper level science courses? I would think that taking a semester's worth of credits at UNE would be pretty pricey. I also would look heavily into retaking, a 506+ could do you wonders.

CJhooper123

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Decisions, decisions haha. What classes did you take for your post-bacc?
So far...
Priciples of Neuroscience
A&P I
A&P II
Genetics
Human endocrinology
Stem Cell/Regenerative Bio

Also... I would try to avoid community college. People might disagree w/ this, but w.e. Many of the DO schools I spoke to recommended established universities over CC for DIY PB classes.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Not a fan of online coursework.
Thank you.

What would you suggest someone in my position do, besides waiting for interviews? I currently work and volunteer as a caregiver for patients with dementia. I feel like there are very limited options for a post-bacc or SMPs at this time. Should I just study and retake the MCAT?

OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Is there a community college around you that offers upper level science courses? I would think that taking a semester's worth of credits at UNE would be pretty pricey. I also would look heavily into retaking, a 506+ could do you wonders.
I was thinking about retaking. I just need a way to improve! I spent 3 months, 6 days a week, and 8 hours a day prepping. I even took a classroom course with The Berkeley Review, and still ended up with a 126-124-126-126 (502).

OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
So far...
Priciples of Neuroscience
A&P I
A&P II
Genetics
Human endocrinology
Stem Cell/Regenerative Bio

Also... I would try to avoid community college. People might disagree w/ this, but w.e. Many of the DO schools I spoke to recommended established universities over CC for DIY PB classes.
Thank you for your input! I just feel like it is too late to get into a post-bacc or SMP, because it is already September. This is why I looked to online. I don't really know when other DIY post-baccs start.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Thank you.

What would you suggest someone in my position do, besides waiting for interviews? I currently work and volunteer as a caregiver for patients with dementia. I feel like there are very limited options for a post-bacc or SMPs at this time. Should I just study and retake the MCAT?
There are no colleges around where you live?

I think that with a broad application, especially targeting the newest schools, you should get some nibbles.
I can't recommend an MCAT retake until you see how this cycle shakes out by Jan or Feb.
Look into an SMP or relocate for a post-bac for next year if this cycle proves to be a wash. At the minimum, you can take some post-bac classes starting next semester.
In the mean time, if you haven't found a DO to shadow and write LOR, find one.
Keep on volunteering.

Reactions: Ad2b
OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
There are no colleges around where you live?

I think that with a broad application, especially targeting the newest schools, you should get some nibbles.
I can't recommend an MCAT retake until you see how this cycle shakes out by Jan or Feb.
Look into an SMP or relocate for a post-bac for next year if this cycle proves to be a wash. At the minimum, you can take some post-bac classes starting next semester.
In the mean time, if you haven't found a DO to shadow and write LOR, find one.
Keep on volunteering.
I live near Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc. There are schools near me, but I figured that post-baccs and SMPs run like regular undergraduate, which starts in Aug/Sep. That is why I figured that it is too late. Are post-baccs rolling admission?

I have 18 applications currently under review, including at ACOM, BCOM, LECOM, LECOM-B, PNWU, WVSOM, Touro-NV, Western-L, and Western-P.

I shadowed a DO for 25 hours over the course of a school year, and got a DO LOR.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I live near Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc. There are schools near me, but I figured that post-baccs and SMPs run like regular undergraduate, which starts in Aug/Sep. That is why I figured that it is too late. Are post-baccs rolling admission?

What we call post-bacs are simply college classes you take as a post-graduate student. Take the ones that mimic med school classes. Since most semesters have already started, I suppose Jan is the closest start cycle.

There are post-bac programs, but these are mainly for career changers.

OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status

What we call post-bacs are simply college classes you take as a post-graduate student. Take the ones that mimic med school classes. Since most semesters have already started, I suppose Jan is the closest start cycle.

There are post-bac programs, but these are mainly for career changers.
What kind of school should I take them at?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: frosted2
OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Any 4 year school. CC if money is an issue
Thank you for the information. Medical Schools won't care if it is CC credits? Also how many units are sufficient?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Thank you for the information. Medical Schools won't care if it is CC credits? Also how many units are sufficient?
30ish, and you need to ace these things. And have an MCAT of 513+. 505 for DO will suffice, 510 even better.

About the Ads