1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of UVM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Oski, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Oski

Oski Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got into UVM, and I'd like to hear what you people think about it. I'm pretty stoked (except for the price tag), it seems like a cool place to live. </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Have a good time all the time. -Spinal Tap</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BlueDevil7

BlueDevil7 Member
    7+ Year Member

As a California boy, I was unimpressed with the idea of subzero temperatures and I also didn't like the out-of-state tuition cost. The emphasis on primary care and the students were pretty awesome though.

4. jrazz

jrazz Member
    7+ Year Member

I loved UVM. The out of state tuition sucks, but everything that I saw I absolutely loved. The campus, the students, the professors and Burlington seems like a great place to live. Unless I get into my state school, I am definitely going there. And this would only be due to the difference in cost.

Good Luck and Congrats. Maybe we will meet up this fall.

5. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

I have to agree with everyone, the high out of state cost and the subzero temps are the only downside. Burlington seemed like a nice college atmosphere to be in. Lots of close by skiing and other winter outdoor activity nearby, which is good. But the 54 grand price tag a year for out of state is expensive.

6. Oski

Oski Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been in California all my life, and I will really miss it if I leave. But Vermont will be a cool adventure. My main deciding factor for school is being in a location where I am happy to be there when I do have a free moment to enjoy it, and I think Burlington is that sort of place.

I also think that UVM has a great reputation among doctors. It isn't such a big name for people outside of medicine, but I work at UCSF with a lot of high-powered docs, and they all say that Vermont is a great school.

I am a little anxious about the new curriculum. I just hope that they have it all figured out and it works.

7. Oski

Oski Member
    7+ Year Member

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm interviewing there next week. Don't know if I'm crazy or not after being accepted to Columbia, but I am Alaska born and raised, and Vermont looked pretty good to me when I was picking the schools I'd apply to. Anyway the trip is all planned and paid for, and I'm also interviewing at Rochester and Mt. Sinai. I'll let you know what I think when I get back. Btw, some docs up here say the same thing about Vermont

9. Oski

Oski Member
    7+ Year Member

10. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Oski, have you done an SDN search on Vermont? I usually find lots of info on any given school that way.

11. matthew0126

matthew0126 Anaheim Angels
    7+ Year Member

you're crazy, SMW! :D

jk, more power to you if you have the balls to reject columbia for vermont

btw, i could be wrong... but i think you will really really really really really really like rochester. everyone seems to. the perfect school, beautiful city (minus the cold). still, i'd take columbia, which i liked a lot less, over rochester. new york city+rep

not that i'm going to either. i'm staying right here in cali :D

good luck!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SMW:
    <strong>I'm interviewing there next week. Don't know if I'm crazy or not after being accepted to Columbia, but I am Alaska born and raised, and Vermont looked pretty good to me when I was picking the schools I'd apply to. Anyway the trip is all planned and paid for, and I'm also interviewing at Rochester and Mt. Sinai. I'll let you know what I think when I get back. Btw, some docs up here say the same thing about Vermont</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

12. buffy

buffy Member
    7+ Year Member

I also just got into UVM, but I decided to decline their offer. I was worried that I wouldn't see as varied a patient population as I would like, and so far my other choice (Tulane) seems like a better fit for me. I'm also interested in problems that affect poor urban populations, and I don't think I'd see too much of that at UVM either. I loved Burlington though and agree that it would be a great place to live! Also, the focus on primary care is great. Have fun, those of you who go there! Swim in the big beautiful lake for me!