What do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hipatknight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:
MCAT: 30P (12P-5V-13B) ---- took it 3 times, first two times I got a 25
* Verbal has been a big problem mainly because of unfortunate situations
BCPM GPA: 3.78
Overall GPA: 3.79
Working at a hospital full-time
Research experience
Volunteer experience
Georgia resident

What do you guys think my chances are at Georgia schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my stats:
Research experience
Volunteer experience
Georgia resident

I can only tell you what you already know...

You've got a seemingly strong app, but that 5 is a major blow. I don't know enough about the Georgia schools and the other aspects of your application to tell you if it's fatal, but there will be a lot of places where it will keep you out.

Unfortunate situations? Three times? That might seem fishy to adcoms. If it is a legitamite excuse then you may be ok - primary and secondary applications often have spaces for you to write additional info, perhaps writing about your incidents may be appropriate.

If you don't have a reasonable excuse, you don't stand a very good chance. Most schools don't even look at you if it is below a 7.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you pull a 5 on verbal????? What is this extenuating circumstance.....unless it involved something like this bursting out of your stomach and interrupting your test:
spacemag5.jpg

.....you are effectively screwed.

Here are my stats:

there's always a fourth time

I know nothing about Georgia, but all you have to ask is if there's anything that really distinguishes you from other applicants that others don't already have and who also have a higher verbal score.

well heres how it all went down.....my first time studying i didnt pay attention to verbal as much because i took a full-length practice test and scored an 8 on verbal so i thought i was fine. But i scored a 6 on the actual thing so i studied for the mcat again and concentrated on verbal. I was averaging 7 and 8 on my practice verbal tests. The last two times i took the mcat i didnt get adequate rest, which i think played a big part in me not getting the score i wanted. And when i mean adequate rest, I mean I couldnt fall asleep at all. My science sections didnt suffer cause im really good in science, its never been an issue.

Here are my stats:
Research experience
Volunteer experience
Georgia resident

being an international student or having an attention disorder may qualify as unfortunate situations I guess, but three times getting a 5 is not so good. Your science scores are great, so I would talk to an admissions rep to see what they think about your verbal score and whether or not you'd be screened out for it. good luck.

I'm gathering you're not a native speaker?

well heres how it all went down.....my first time studying i didnt pay attention to verbal as much because i took a full-length practice test and scored an 8 on verbal so i thought i was fine. But i scored a 6 on the actual thing so i studied for the mcat again and concentrated on verbal. I was averaging 7 and 8 on my practice verbal tests. The last two times i took the mcat i didnt get adequate rest, which i think played a big part in me not getting the score i wanted. And when i mean adequate rest, I mean I couldnt fall asleep at all. My science sections didnt suffer cause im really good in science, its never been an issue.
a 30 is fine, but the disparity in your composite scores is going to hurt you. it makes it seems like you're simply unable to score higher than a 5 or 6. if you had to take it again, concentrate on verbal. do ek's verbal tests. they're a good prep.

not im not an international student or anything. and yes, im not good at verbal. but im especially not good in verbal when my head feels like it weighs 100 lbs., which is how i felt when i took the mcat again the last two times.

I'm no adcom but those don't sound like 'unfortunate' circumstances (do they sound reasonable to you?). You can always try a fourth time with a bit more focus on verbal. Be sure to be practice on all the verbal questions you can find. Otherwise you can go for it with the 30, write an astounding PS, apply broadly, and hope for the best. Just be realistic and don't hold your breath for any super prestigious schools.

not im not an international student or anything. and yes, im not good at verbal. but im especially not good in verbal when my head feels like it weighs 100 lbs., which is how i felt when i took the mcat again the last two times.

I would take it again, if possible, before you apply and focus on verbal like its your job. If it was your first time taking the MCAT, they might consider your excuse (but they probably woudln't care), but since you had two other chances, don't count on it. It IS possible to bring up a verbal score, just practice practice practice and don't lose hope. But again, talk to those specific schools you want to apply to and see what they tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Retake it. This is not going to cut it, sorry.

the first couple of diags i scored a 6 on verbal and got really worried. i took an unbelievable amt of verbal sections to bring mine up. it IS possible to bring it up. as for rest before the test, did someone say cherry nyquil whiskey sour??? j/k.

Here are my stats:
Research experience
Volunteer experience
Georgia resident

did you apply yet? if so, carry it through. you never know what the outcome will be. you might as well do so. while you're at it, prep for the next mcat and apply for next year.

get exam crackers verbal... but adcoms dont like you taking the MCAT that much... the problem is this... the MOST important section for the adcoms; the section that most look at FIRST is VERBAL....

the reason is quite simple.. they know what you are already capable of from your grades in your premed classes... what the MCAT is used for is to see if you can think critically under pressure (namely, time, and umm.. it's the MCAT) because that's what you will be during in your pre-clinicals, rotations, and beyond. they want to see if you can traverse through verbal passages without sufficient time, yet still pull out all the major details... if someone scores high in verbal, they believe that this person will be able to handel the workload of med school (whether it's correlated or not)

i'm in med school now and all i can tell you is that the faster you can read and comprehend heavy readings, the better you'll do

good luck man... and in the end, no patient will care that you got that you bomed that philosophy passage about utilitarianism on the MCAT

also, the reason why ADCOMs are nervous about accepting anyone with a low score in a section is that it kills there average in that section, which will get published in a guide book. Since you got a 5 in verbal, they also need to have someone who got a 15 on verbal, just to have it averaged out to a 10 in verbal (obvisously, there are other ways to get to the avg of a 10, but you get the idea)

Here are my stats:
Research experience
Volunteer experience
Georgia resident

Your science scores are great, but you really should try and get that verbal score up there.

Everyone's saying retake retake but isn't the cuttoff at 3? He will need special permission from AAMC to take it again

apply...why the hell not?

Everyone's saying retake retake but isn't the cuttoff at 3? He will need special permission from AAMC to take it again

Hasn't that rule changed now that the test is computerized and is offered 22 times a year? You are permitted to take the MCAT 3 times per year now, instead of three times total (without AAMC permission).

From AAMC website:

Benefits of the Computerized MCAT Exam
Computerizing the MCAT offers advantages for both students and admissions offices:

• Test administrations will increase from twice a year to 22 per year.
  • Morning and afternoon sessions will be available on weekdays and Saturdays.
  • Students may take the MCAT exam up to three times per year (but may be registered for only one testing date at a time).
  • The computerized test day will be about half as long as the paper-and-pencil administration day, primarily because there is less administrative overhead.
  • Beginning in 2007, the number of questions will be reduced by about one-third (without changing the content representation), and the allowed testing time will be reduced by about 30 percent. Research showed that a shorter MCAT exam would retain its predictive power.
  • Beginning in 2007, scores will be reported in 30 days instead of 60 days. Our objective is to eventually reduce reporting to 14 days.

"Special permission" is just proving that you are taking it with the idea of applying to med school. You can either show them your rejection letter or ask your premed advisor to write AAMC a letter. The only reason they cap it at 3 is becaue they don't want nutty gunners to start taking teh MCAT as a high school freshmen (like some may do with the SAT) and get that advantage.

To the OP: your verbal will kill your application at many schools. I really advise you to retake your MCAT and pull that verbal up. What helped with me is that I read every day, and read quite a bit. Try to set up a schedule to read the papers/books/etc for one to two hours a day. Do a verbal section every day or every other day (I recommend ExamKrackers' verbal book). You can improve on verbal but it takes alot longer than cramming for a month like th other two sections. Everything else about you stats-wise looks good. Good luck.

I've heard AAMC gives permission upon request if you give them an explanation. Many folks have repeated more than twice.

How med schools view it, I don't know....

I've heard AAMC gives permission upon request if you give them an explanation. Many folks have repeated more than twice.

How med schools view it, I don't know....

Well, I don't think you need special permission anymore. I just checked the AAMC website and it claims that you can take the MCAT up to 3 times per year.

No question- retake the MCAT.

If you are doing well in the science sections, it does not seem to be a problem with your reading time.

I would recommend using Examkrackers also. You should also try reading at least 2 books a week (one fiction, one non-fiction).

The reason so many pre-meds do badly on the verbal section is that they do not read anything in their spare time. Keep in mind that the average newspaper or magazine is at a 6th grade reading level (with the New York Times being cited as the highest, 8th grade level). I would try reading the Economist if you are inclined to read magazines as it is at a much higher level. I would recommend reading some classics like Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo (readable and interesting) or Three Musketters, Defoe, Twain etc. Not all the books have to be War and Peace long. Try Of Mice and Men (Steinbach). Also read some poetry-- Dylan Thomas for example or Shakespeare's sonnets. It will improve your vocabularly and ability to get through those passages.

ok, good to kno. 22 times a year?!?!??! What will happen to the stress, the pressure, the pounding of teh heart as it gets closer to exam day? Are results being given immediately after, like the GRE? That will be the greatest travesty of all.

If a premed doesn't have to go through the traditional hell of waiting between the exam and the night that scores are posted, well I dunno what's going to become of our proud premed traditions.

The reason so many pre-meds do badly on the verbal section is that they do not read anything in their spare time. Keep in mind that the average newspaper or magazine is at a 6th grade reading level (with the New York Times being cited as the highest, 8th grade level). I would try reading the Economist if you are inclined to read magazines as it is at a much higher level. I would recommend reading some classics like Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo (readable and interesting) or Three Musketters, Defoe, Twain etc. Not all the books have to be War and Peace long. Try Of Mice and Men (Steinbach).

That's so very true. I think that's why my verbal score jumped so much between when I took it in college and when I took it four years later while working. I read a lot more after I finished college. I truly believe the best way to raise your verbal score up is to read, read, read. Of course, I also feel like a cheat since it was my verbal that got me into med school, if it wasn't for that, who knows where I'd be.....

ok, good to kno. 22 times a year?!?!??! What will happen to the stress, the pressure, the pounding of teh heart as it gets closer to exam day? Are results being given immediately after, like the GRE? That will be the greatest travesty of all.

If a premed doesn't have to go through the traditional hell of waiting between the exam and the night that scores are posted, well I dunno what's going to become of our proud premed traditions.

Haha! I don't think the scores are instaneous because they still have to grade the frickin' written part. A premed told me recently that most of teh test dates are clumped around the may/june dates anyway and it's almost impossible to take MCAT after MCAT in quick succession so it is *almost* like taking it the pre-computerized days.