What do you guys think??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrSexyLatinDr21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey amigos/as~

Ok, so I am sure this question has being posted here, but I was wondering. Do double major students have an advantage over single major students when applying to med school? Do ADCOMS gives a preference to double majors? Ah, another question, what do you guys think is the best undergrad major that can give you a "stable job" after graduation? I am sure engineering and computer science, maybe business, but other than these which other ones? Anyways, I am just wondering what you guys think.....

Cuidense

Eduardo

Members don't see this ad.

I was a double science major and don' t think it helped me at all through the process. I don't think it ever helped them make a decision for an acceptance/waitlist/rejection. Nobody really seemed to care. If you're a non-science major, I think that's a plus, but for me, it didn't do much.

I hear that they could care less if you double major, because I myself had all intent of double majoring until I heard the hard truth from my adviser.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have heard that it really doesn't make much difference.

eduardo,

you're a guy?

:rolleyes:

I second that....you're a guy?!

Of course I am a guy.....:D

What made you guys think I wasnt??

Eduardo

Thirded.

Originally posted by peeweee
:rolleyes:

I second that....you're a guy?!

Originally posted by UrSexyLatinDr21
Of course I am a guy.....:D

What made you guys think I wasnt??

Eduardo

I think it's your username, dude...it says "UrSexyLatinDr21"

Usually when people see the word "sexy," they think female.

That clear with ya, dude? :D

Having a double major (Religion and Chemistry) helped me I believe because there aren't many religion majors trying to get into medical school. I think it depends on what the 2 degrees are.

As for the use of the word sexy, hispanics or people of hispanic lineages like myself don't see the word sexy as feminine. That's an anglo thing;) I never doubted the OP was a male and probably a very fine one too!

?De donde eres tu?

I don't know how much a double major would help with the adcoms, although I would think finishing the requirements (and finishing well in both) in a normal amount of time (4-5 yrs) would show the commitment thing well and show that you can handle a large load well. However, if for some reason you don't make it into med school that first year after college I think is when the real advantage for a double major comes in. You'll have a wider range for grad programs, and even better, a much wider variety of job options available to you. For example I'm doing a double major in biology and chemistry, partially just because I found I loved chemistry besides loving biology and it only took adding in one extra class and calling some others chemistry classes rather than biology classes, but also because if I don't make it in the first time (fingers crossed that I do, but...) there wasn't all that many jobs out there that I could do with just a B.A. in biology....a B.A. in chemistry on the other hand will get me into just about any entry-level lab job I could think of.

--Jessica, UCCS

Soooo...Eduardo--what do you look like?;)

Members don't see this ad :)
a double major per se makes no difference. Unless one is a very unusual or interesting one.

engineering and CS are the only majors that will result in a stable job after graduation. And for engineering, it actually depends on what type of engineering.

I doubt business helps much, because an undergraduate degree in business is pretty much worth very little. An MBA is a different story, but in today's economy, it might not be enough either.

Hey people, I'm not anglo, I'm asian. In fact, I've said that I'm asian so many times, I'm surprised that y'all don't realize it now...anyways, I was just tryin' to explain why the posters before me thought that the thread starter was a "she" instead of a "he". :D

Many Latinos use the word "anglo" to refer to Americans, when the term specifically means white, Americans.

I am not white, and I am American, but I guess they assume that an American is white...I've always been kind of offended by the term anglo.

I've heard that if you're a science & nonscience double major it helps. :eek:

But I think they really just want to see that you're actually interested in your majors. :laugh: (what's up with this laughing guy?)

Casey

Assuming I pass my thesis defense and oral baccalaureate exam next semester, I will be the first joint-disciplinary chemistry-art history graduate from my school. The nifty thing about my major (NOT a double major, btw) is that I can combine the two concentrations and circumvent having to complete the physical chemistry sequence, in favor of pursuing courses and research endeavors that actually interest me!

Although I have yet to apply to medical schools, I would reckon that my unique major will be a highlight in my application. I just wish I could pursue an MD/PhD with a PhD in art history, but I doubt anyone would take me seriously... so I guess I should capitalize on my artsy-fartsy inclinations while I still can. ;)

Originally posted by md_student10021
a double major per se makes no difference. Unless one is a very unusual or interesting one.

engineering and CS are the only majors that will result in a stable job after graduation. And for engineering, it actually depends on what type of engineering.

Hey, what about triple majors? Religion, Philosophy, and Greek - is that interesting or immensely boring? I'll let you know if it helped after I apply this summer.

And what did I do after graduation? Waited tables...couldn't get a job of substance anywhere. I'd be a great sooth-sayer; too bad the bottom dropped out of that job market...

Originally posted by md_student10021

I wouldn't include CS on the list of stable job majors anymore. I work as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor's assistant, and part of my job involves looking through the paper and on monster.com/dice.com/craigslist.org/etc every week to find jobs for the people she counsels. At least in San Diego, there are almost NO openings in computer jobs, and the openings there are are for people with 5+ years experience and advanced knowledge of networking. A few years ago CS people were so in demand they could practically set their own salaries, but now they're just scrambling to get jobs.

The only areas that have many listed jobs are: Admin Assistant, Receptionist, Secretary, and Construction Worker. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
Many Latinos use the word "anglo" to refer to Americans, when the term specifically means white, Americans.

I am not white, and I am American, but I guess they assume that an American is white...I've always been kind of offended by the term anglo.

I always thought it was short for anglophone, which just means English-speaker.

I think - and the Oxford dictionary backs me up on this one - Ango is an abbreviation of Anglo-Saxon. So, it implies descent from British or N. European origins. So, "anglo-" is a prefix of the above meaning that can be attached to "-American" or "-phone", etc.

What up peeps. I'm not sure to what extent a double major may help in getting an interview or acceptance. It probably depends on the uniqueness of the two majors; that is, how dissimilar they are from one another and in general, I guess. I'm a science/nonscience double major and at several interviews when I mentioned that I was a double major the interviewers underlined/circled/commented on it. What that means, who the hell knows. Oh, and I was accepted at those schools. BUt then again, the double major could have had nothing to do with the actual acceptances. Anyways, if you're planning on double majoring do it only because you love both areas of study. LATE

Hey Guys, thanks a lot for all of your responses. Someone asked here was I from. Well, I live in California, but I was born in Mexico ( Jalisco) and lived there for 17 years. I am 22 now, so that makes 5 years since I migrated to the United States.. What do I look like? Is there a way to attach my pictures to SDN? Anyways, thanks for all those comments on Double Majors.

Eduardo

Originally posted by EErikson
What up peeps. I'm not sure to what extent a double major may help in getting an interview or acceptance. It probably depends on the uniqueness of the two majors; that is, how dissimilar they are from one another and in general, I guess. I'm a science/nonscience double major and at several interviews when I mentioned that I was a double major the interviewers underlined/circled/commented on it. What that means, who the hell knows. Oh, and I was accepted at those schools. BUt then again, the double major could have had nothing to do with the actual acceptances. Anyways, if you're planning on double majoring do it only because you love both areas of study. LATE

I second this. Technically speaking, med schools could care less what you major in, let alone whether you double, triple, etc. There is only one place in your application where you list your major/courses, and with lots of applicants to screen I would guess no one looks. I doubt they even read what your major is during the entire process, for it is rare that they bring it up in interviews.

Major in what you like, if you really love two disciplines, then consider a double major. Everyone says the med schools don't care, and even if they did, you should not base your decision on that. Your recs, extracurricular, academics speak for themselves. But your major is about you, not appeasing professional schools.

Muchas Gracias.. So it looks like a double major doesn't really help when it comes to the admission's process. Any other thoughts?

Eduardo

If getting into med school is your only reason for doing it, I don't think it will get you what you want. I had an interdisciplinary degree combining econ, comp sci, and writing, and a lot of my interviewers commented on it and seemed impressed. I don't think being a chem/bio double major will do much, but something that includes at least one non-traditional major (esp. fine arts or humanities) will make you stand out.

I repeat the advice given many places on this board: Major in what interests YOU the most. If two things really interest you, major in both of them.

Originally posted by UrSexyLatinDr21
Muchas Gracias.. So it looks like a double major doesn't really help when it comes to the admission's process. Any other thoughts?

Eduardo

I still say it does matter particularily for the minority applicant. When you register for Med-Mar, your profile (GPA, MCAT, ect) is sent to medical schools looking to increase the numbers of minority medical students. A few years back, I registered and was contaced by a number of schools including Harvard. When I contacted them, the first thing the recruiter asked me about was the double major in Religion and Chemistry. It's pretty much the same reation at every school I've ever contaced.