what do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vyparik1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my interview for Indiana School of Medicine in September..i am a state resident of indiana and the school gives preference to state residents...i got that interview based upon my 3.7 GPA and 5V-8PS-10B i got on my April MCAT...During the interview the interviewer told me to raise my verbal and get at least a 25 composite on my MCAT in August to be competitive for admission...i received a
8V-8PS-9B on the August MCAT...how do you think i will fare in this game??? do you think i will be accepted?? thanks in advance for your honest opinions

Members don't see this ad.

Gee, when the interviewer said "get at least a 25 composite score," you took it literally, huh?
wink.gif

In all seriousness, getting an interview is a good sign and one that shows Indiana is considering you rather competitive. Getting an interview, however, is not the final step in getting into medical school. Too many premeds believe that once you're at the interview stage, it's all about the interview and your personality. Numbers play a fairly signficant role.

I'm not sure how competitive admission at Indiana is, but considering you're a state resident with a good GPA, and barring any mishaps during the interview (since you haven't mentioned any), I'd say you have a shot. Your August MCAT score of 25 is around the national average, by the way, while the average to get into medical school is about 29.

Tim of New York City.

Thanks for the input, Tim...BTW, the stats for Indiana University School of Medicine are 29 MCAT and 3.68GPA for the 1999 entering class...so what kind of "shot" do i have
considering my previous information?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not always the numbers that get you in. You appear to be very competitive but, it may be next year before you get in. The interviewer that suggested you raise your MCAT scores may have rated you low and this could affect you this year. So if you dont make it this year try again next year.

Richard

hi, out of curiosity,
how many interviews have u had besides ind. univ. school of med?

is English your first language? since it's the worst score among rest of the scores.

what are your strengths and weaknesses that are presented in your application?

thanks,

OK...I dont think you guys quite understand
what i am talking about.....The interviewer
told me to raise the MCAT score to at least
a 25 AND also raise my verbal score to be
considered competitive....I fulfilled both
of his requirements because the scores i
received for the August MCAT were 8V-8PS-9B
which is a composite of 25 AND I raised my
verbal score by 3 POINTS(from a 5 to an 8)..
So i was wondering how good my "shot" was to get into Indiana.....and this is the only school i wish to attend and it is the only shcool i applied to....thank you all

why don't you ask your interviewer now...i'm sure he gave you his card...

I stand on my reply. If your interviewer does not know you increased your MCAT he/she cannot change thier mind on your interview.
As for applying to one school, gutsy is all I have to say. I have known only one other person to do that and that was last year. This year he ended up going to Ross, I dont know why he just did.

Richard

PS. I agree with Gradfrog, contact the interviewer and make sure that they know that you have increased your scores. Cant hurt.

My MCAT scores for August 1999 MCAT were forwarded to Indiana School of Medicine on October 20, 1999....They KNOW my scores for the August MCAT and therefore the school knows that my MCAT scores have gone up....as for being gutsy to apply to just one school...i dont think i am because I beleive that Indiana is my best chance because of my state residency there.....my chance is at least 50-50 as of now because half of the in-state interviewees are accepted to the school.....to get into an out of state school one must have superior MCAT scores and GPA (probably 35+ and 3.7+) so i thought it would be a waste of my money and time to do so...Now i would like to know what you guys think my chances are? thank you again.

schools don't give a darn unless YOU notify them of the situation -- to start something positive, call up your interviewer...

i don't think your chances are 50-50, regardless of whether or not that's the percentage of in-staters offered admission...your MCAT is probably in the bottom third of those interviewing...

you should have definitely applied to DO schools....one more thing, you don't need a 35+, 3.7 to get in out-of-state...to cite an extreme example, i have a friend (non-URM) who got into Harvard with a 30, 3.65...that's right, Harvard... and i know plenty more with lesser stats to have pulled off admission to schools like NYMC, Meharry, and CMS... you should have definitely applied to more than one place...

[This message has been edited by Gadfrog (edited 11-10-1999).]

I stand by everything I say. You are asking the wrong people you should contact the interviewer. Yes, the school knows but if the interviewer still sends in a bad rating and does nothing to change it, it can hurt your chances.
I know the fact that when you are a state resident that your chances are better in that state's schools, but did you know that there are schools who will consider you at a more highly competive rate in states adjoining your own state, especially if you have only one or two schools serving the state. I applaud your fortutivness and wish you the best. I also agree strongly that once you have gotten to the interview that there is a much better chance, but if you have one bad interview hanging over your head it may hurt you. that is mainly why I feel you may be applying again next year.
Be proactive in your own cause. If the school gets offended for you being a bit inquiring and concerned with your own future I would consider going else where.

Again, I would stress you look very competative with your new scores seeing that you had been granted an interview on your previous merits. Make sure that it is brought to thier attention.

Supportively,
Richard

Thank you all for your honest and supporting input....I will contact the dean of admissions ASAP to find out if the interviewer has taken note of my most recent MCAT...I dont know the interviewers number so I must contact the dean....thank you all for your concern....I will keep you guys abreast of my outcome.

P.S. This site is infinitely more helpful than that stupid Princeton Review site that is full of immature premeds.

There are a lot of private, and even some public schools that don't care what state you are from. If you don't get in this year, maybe you should apply to more next year, AND try at Indiana again. Plus, DO schools have lower average MCAT scores and the ones in Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, and 2 in Missouri all make up over half of their classes with out-of-staters.

ON second thought...i dont know if i should contact my interviewer because he is a member of the admissions committee and he will be my advocate...so obviously he will have my scores in front of him....and people here tell me not to talk to the interviewer because they feel that it looks bad that i would be "kissing but"...any comments?

P.S. the interview did go well...I think its a good sign when we were laughing and talking like friends throughout the interview....the only thing he mentioned about my MCAT was to raise the verbal score and it was borderline....so i dont know where Richie gets the idea that I received a bad rating on my interview....After he said "Do you have any questions for me" i asked about what score i need to be competitve etc...and then he replied by saying at least 25 etc..

I'm pretty sure it's not 'kissing butt' to express your continued interest. If you didn't do a thank you note, do one now. Say you appreciate having had the opportunity to interview, you really enjoyed your conversation with your interviewer, your opinion of the school's strengths was high before the interview and you were even more impressed firsthand, you'd really love the opportunity to study in such a stimulating/supportive/... environment, you were concerned that your MCAT scores could hurt your chances at this, your top choice school, so you took it over again, and lo! they improved. You sincerely hope they will give due consideration to your application and earnest interest in their wonderful school.

If you sincerely want to go somewhere, you must let them know!! No shyness!! One letter isn't too much...just don't write twenty. There are stories of people who send off thousands of applications and get in nowhere, while equally qualified candidates get into all three schools to which they applied. The moral is supposed to be that you have to do a thorough job with each application, and fully demonstrate your interest in your application and during your interview and subsequent correspondence. Thank you notes and even another follow-up note, _especially_ when there is additional information they may wish to take into consideration in evaluating you, are de rigueur. IMHO. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Paradocs (edited 11-12-1999).]