what do you guys think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedandBlack7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm new to this site but i thought i would ask your guys opinion on my application.

I'm currently a junior at Rutgers University with a cell-bio and neuroscience major and a psych minor.
GPA: My cumulative GPA is currently a 3.63 but it should raise to a 3.67 after this semester. My science gpa is currently a 3.75 and could raise to a 3.78 if i get an A in a certain class.

MCAT: I am taking my MCAT on April 23rd. The practice tests I've been getting around 30-32 so I'm hoping to get somewhere in the low to mid 30s.

EC: I currently work 20 hours a week as an ER scribe and have been since February and plan to until I graduate. I should have over 1000 hours logged in by the time my interviews for med school roll around.
I worked in the New Jersey Center for as a lab assistant for 1.5 years. I didn't necessarily do my own research but I did assist in a few projects in addition to doing lab-work (spin-coating, cell culturing, computer work, measuring data, etc.)
I shadowed an oncologist and a general family doctor a few times each.
I am in a fraternity and am currently serving on the Executive board as the treasurer. I also held committees in fundraising and scholarship. I also do a decent amount of community service for my fraternity such as blood drives, street clean ups, college events, etc.
I participated in a jewish learning experience where we met once a week and learned about judaism and went on 2 trips to jewish communities. I also went to Israel in the summer for 3 weeks which was like the next step of the program.

And that's about it...any input would be great, thanks!

-Ilya

Members don't see this ad.

Your projected stats are reasonably compeitive. The higher BCPM GPA is good to see.

Your leadership and nonmedical community service look OK. Working in the lab was a good experience, though it's a shame you don't have your own project after a year and a half.

I'm not sure that adcomms will be impressed with your having less than six months of clinical experience (though plenty of hours) by submission time, though a scribe position is ideal in that it also includes shadowing as well. I'm glad to see you did additional shadowing of other specialties to broaden your exposure. Presumably you recently decided to go into medicine instead of dentistry, considering the status you listed? During the application year I would definitely continue with the scribing as well as nonmedical community service. Talk to the PI in your lab and see if you can notch up your involvement.

No the pre-dental is an accident, sorry about that haha..i've always wanted to go into medicine. I did sort of have my own projects that I worked with a supervisor on, but I just did not get anything published and I know longer work there anymore. I will only have a few months of the scribe position, but I will have over a year by the time med school does roll around so hopefully they can consider that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well by the time I apply in June I'll have 4 months of work in, which means 320 hours. You don't think that's enough hours of clinical work/shadowing?

You don't think my stats are good enough for my state school of UMDNJ: my cum gpa is a little above the average, and my science gpa is 0.2 over the average. My MCAT should be just on par with the average and i'm obviously in state.