What do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if I could get your opinion. Okay, I have been put on the waitlist at University of Miami. I called them up to see how feasible it might be for me to come off and they could not give me any answers. Here is my story...I went to UM as an undergraduate and acquired a 3.81 cum, 3.7 science gpa. My MCAT is pretty average, 25R, and this is my second year applying. Yet, despite my low MCAT, I was called for an interview by UM approximately 2 weeks after they recieved my secondary and interviewed in their first group for this year (that was back in September). I was waitlisted, probably the first, and have been wondering what the chances are of someone coming off of the waitlist. The admissions office told me that they had pretty good movement last year but hardly any the year before. Do you guys know approximately how many people are waitlisted at UM? I know they interview 300 people and have a class size of 140 (so I guess they accept more than half of their interviewees). I would really like to go to this school so I am going to write them a letter of interest. I also am acquainted with one of their alumni and I heard that alumni letters are taken extremely seriously. However, I also heard that once you are on the waiting list they don't really look at your file anymore. However, UM does not rank its list until all interviews are complete so I am guessing there is still a chance to make my file shine, right? Anyway, what do you guys think?
Dana

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dana, I just got back from an interview at Miami just over a week ago and I'll tell you what I can. Their website is probably the most informative I've been to so you might want to check it out if you haven't already. They have a pretty nice statistical breakdown and also a very nice FAQ page. As far as class size I think your right, I think they interview like 300 to fill a class of 144 or at least this is what they told us at the interview. But I also think that 8 of these are MD/PhD and another 30 are from special undregrad program but to be sure you might check the website. I think you should definitely write an interest/update letter. One of the people I was there with specifically asked this question and Dean Hinkley said they really do appreciate and read them and when they make decisions he said it may have an positive effect over someone who hasn't written, so I say go ahead and write to them it can't hurt and might it help. He also said that their waitlist is ranked, but if you call to find out where you are on it they won't tell you anything. He said this is because it constantly changes due to the fact that people interviewing after you may get put ahead of you or people ahead of you on the list may withdraw their app. So I walked away with the impression that you are given a score or numerical grade when the committee next meets to talk about applicants and based on that score you are either put on the waitlist in a certain position, rejected or accepted, although if this is the case I don't know when they would see or how more letters would have any effect after this initial evaluation. I would still write though, because I could be way off base here and it wouldn't be the first time. I don't know if he was just using an example or where he came up with these numbers but he approximated that around 4-25 people will get off the waitlist in any year. Well, I hope I answered your questions and good luck and hopefully we'll both be at Miami next year, I would love to live on the beach for 4 years even if it costs alot.

P.S. How long did it take for you to hear from them following your interview?

P.S.S. I say go ahead and talk to your alumni friend to and ask them to write a letter on your behalf and I would also ask them if they knew anything about how the process works because they are likely far more knowledgable about it than me.

jason

Hi Jason,
Thank you for your very informative response. I actually waited a pretty long time before I heard what my status was after my interview. I interviewed on September 17 and was supposed to hear their response in the first week of October. Well, October happened to be the month when those two hurricanes (Floyd and ?) decided to drop by and pushed the process way way back. I didn't get the letter from the admissions committee until the first week in November! That drove me nuts! And then to have to wait more!!
So, 4-25, huh? Well, at least I have some numbers to go by now. Everytime I call, I can't get a straight answer! Do you happen to know how many people are put on the waiting list?
By the way, how do you think your interview went?
Dana