What do you have during the exam? DAT mastery app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental genetics major

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out what tools are given to you during the exam.

I have heard/read you get two sheets of laminated grid paper and a permanent marker. I have read the DAT guide as well. I am unclear on what to expect during testing day.

I have a DAT mastery app I like to dabble with while I am bored and away from books and computers. The app tells me to use a note card to help me with angles as well as counting pixels on the screen to help determine angle sizes. I don't know if the app is correct or not. I don't want to study with tools I can't use on the exam.

Also, I am contemplating buying a book written about the DAT. Is this a good idea? I have read Kaplan give a good introductory book about what the exam is, how it is made, how to prepare, what to expect and other tips.

Members don't see this ad.

So I had the DAT Mastery app I got it for free so I am not biased here. I did not think it was representative of the exam, and some concepts that the app presents are not even on the DAT.

You are right about the paper. It is more like 3.5 pieces of paper total. The top quarter of each page is not usable for writing maybe a note or two. Also, the marker writes thicker than pen. So be prepared to lose some writing space due to the size of the text the marker writes.

You shouldn't buy a book. You have all of us at SDN to help you understand test procedures. Actually the more you look around on SDN the less you'll spend on things for the DAT as people have some creative sources of info that are usually free.

The dat destroyer is probably the only book you have to pay for. everything else is online(dat bootcamp) or free(feralis notes AP bio).

Reactions: 1 user
I got the Dat mastery for free yesterday. but I was wondering if the app is even good! I don't know too.