What do you hope to accomplish by becoming a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skip Intro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of you have gotten to this forum because you've run out of options. You've either applied to U.S. MD/DO school and have been rejected, or you're here because you are nervous and anxious about whether or not you have the undergrad qualifications to get into a U.S. medical school... and, barring that, a Caribbean one. This may be your only viable option. So, you're on a fact-finding mission.

Slow down and back-up for a second.

I want all of you who find yourselves in this position to ask yourself two fundamental questions: (1) how badly do you want it? (2) why?

Honestly, the second question may be more important than the first. Is it for money? I hope not, because the money is drying up.

It is it so you can be called "doctor" and receive some perceived adulation by the adoring masses you think will tirelessly work for you hanging on every word you say? Nope. That's not a reality either, you'll someday find out if you make it far enough.

Is it to satisfy some family pressure to succeed and "make something of yourself"? Whoa... that's probably the worst motivation.

Secondly, you need to ask yourself how badly you want it. Because, going the Caribbean route is no easy shakes. You will rack-up massive debt. You have a significantly higher chance of failure. And, you're most likely going to end-up in primary care, which is at the lowest of the low end of compensation (think "grade school teacher"... critical and desperately needed, but not remunerated at the level of their worth and value to our society... and that's about the level of respect you will get from your healthcare colleagues in the future: grade school teacher).

What you hope to accomplish by becoming a doctor is quite personal. Make sure your motivation is internal and not driven by some lofty perception of what it means to have those little letters "M.D." behind your name. In the end, you're still going to be you. And, the shoes you will have to fill will be of your own cobbling.

So, no one can answer these two crucial questions for you except for you. I'm living proof that you can go this route, have a plan, succeed, and do well. But, I didn't jump without a parachute and always had my hand on the rip-cord.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread had been dead for years...

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Many of you have gotten to this forum because you've run out of options. You've either applied to U.S. MD/DO school and have been rejected, or you're here because you are nervous and anxious about whether or not you have the undergrad qualifications to get into a U.S. medical school... and, barring that, a Caribbean one. This may be your only viable option. So, you're on a fact-finding mission.

Slow down and back-up for a second.

I want all of you who find yourselves in this position to ask yourself two fundamental questions: (1) how badly do you want it? (2) why?

Honestly, the second question may be more important than the first. Is it for money? I hope not, because the money is drying up.

It is it so you can be called "doctor" and receive some perceived adulation by the adoring masses you think will tirelessly work for you hanging on every word you say? Nope. That's not a reality either, you'll someday find out if you make it far enough.

Is it to satisfy some family pressure to succeed and "make something of yourself"? Whoa... that's probably the worst motivation.

Secondly, you need to ask yourself how badly you want it. Because, going the Caribbean route is no easy shakes. You will rack-up massive debt. You have a significantly higher chance of failure. And, you're most likely going to end-up in primary care, which is at the lowest of the low end of compensation (think "grade school teacher"... critical and desperately needed, but not remunerated at the level of their worth and value to our society... and that's about the level of respect you will get from your healthcare colleagues in the future: grade school teacher).

What you hope to accomplish by becoming a doctor is quite personal. Make sure your motivation is internal and not driven by some lofty perception of what it means to have those little letters "M.D." behind your name. In the end, you're still going to be you. And, the shoes you will have to fill will be of your own cobbling.

So, no one can answer these two crucial questions for you except for you. I'm living proof that you can go this route, have a plan, succeed, and do well. But, I didn't jump without a parachute and always had my hand on the rip-cord.

-Skip
Sometimes people jump In this boat for the wrong reasons but on the journey stay inside for the right reasons :)

Everyone has something to offer
And if anyone has stuck through the difficulty journey to MD, it has shaped their character for the best (as I aspire to believe as an optimist).

I agree with you everyone should stop and try to answer those questions before continue.