What do you like about medicine? Why does this career sound great?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
unlike other health professions, medicine allows autonomy. Other health professions require you to follow code,or things that have been for the most part laid out for you, such as EMS.
And medicine is dynamic, it requires you to be a student for a long time.

And medicine is where the ladies are.

55173-lolwut.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh:

AMAZING picture

he is a friggin pathologist... of course he is gonna not mind it. He is not dealing witih patients at all.. nil. he has NO pateint contact.. That must say something to you guys. the guy who says he loves it has NO pateint contact.

Neither does Nilf.

Members don't see this ad :)
another exciting thing is that you can always get better. Let me quote Tiger Woods a few times here:

I can't wait for tomorrow because I'll be better than I am today

No matter how good you get you can always get better and that's the exciting part

Tomorrow I will be better than I am today...That's the beauty of tomorrow. There's no such thing as a setback.

Those 3 quotes are from Tiger. In medicine we also have a great opportunity to always get better. Medicine is exciting because you truly never have arrived. I love when I watch patients coming in and see the docs planning their attack. After an exam they have to figure out the mystery of what is wrong with the patient, most often it could be X, Y, or Z. This whole process of breaking down the puzzle inside this complex machine we call the human body is... cool.

Also being a doctor is a prestigious profession in my eyes. Maybe not for some of the cynical people but to me, it is a really cool profession. There is something great about developing an important skill and then being tested to use it.

Our skill at its best is saving lives, and when/if we become excellent at it then when we are put to the test we can shine.

Much like when Michael Jordan practiced hours and hours at high intensity, when "showtime" came it was time to show his skills to the world. Well, our skill set is shown to the people we treat!

Good luck people.

Me:Hi I'm a Doctor, I have surgery in the morning so let's make this quick
Extremely Hot Chick: Your a doctor! OMG! OK!

In all seriousness the human body is simply amazing, and no other job has some of the unique experience/people interactions doctors have. Especially since I'm interested in surgery, it never gets boring and you actually apply what you learn......AMAZING in my opinion what these surgeons do and hope to achieve the academic intellect they attain.

ageed!

unlike other health professions, medicine allows autonomy. Other health professions require you to follow code,or things that have been for the most part laid out for you, such as EMS.
And medicine is dynamic, it requires you to be a student for a long time.

And medicine is where the ladies are.

you are really wrong here. medicine has more protocols than you think.. we have to do things by the book .ask the cardiologists what they have to go through.. and in terms of autonomy.. think again.. you will be punching a clock and told when to come in and when to leave.. those days are over. thats the thing with premeds you are not completely informed.

I'm a medical assistant right now. I didn't think i was going to go further until i started working in a clinic. I really enjoy having to use my critical thinking skills and be constantly learning. patient contact is my favorite part of the job. I'm in awe of how my boss can tell what's going on by a few carefully asked questions.

I like bodies. it sounds freakish but i got interested in anatomy when i was a butcher at a grocery store. it was interesting to see how the muscles and organs in different animals were so different but also so similar. My boss likes to joke that i'll make a great surgeon.