What do you like/dislike about your School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Springs01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what do you like/dislike about your school?
There are things I really like about my school that makes me happy I go here.
But there are things that I don't really like about my school.

And please excuse my rant below. I just need to get it out. you don't have to read it.

So I'm a D1. Maybe it's because I have 2 exams (on the same day) and 3 quizzes this week, but right now I'm really not liking my school (or maybe dental school in general). Yea, there's a lot of material to learn, and I understand dental school wasn't meant to be a walk in the park, but I feel like my school in particular is purposely trying to put its students in an unnecessary amount of pressure (by poor scheduling). There was a whole month of september, and the rest of october, where they could've scheduled the 2nd exam.Why are making things unnecessarily difficult? All future exams are also like this, they're coupled in groups of 2 or 3 exams per a given day. Do all schools do this?

Members don't see this ad.

My school is the same way! Currently getting in a couple of last glances at some good ol' DA. I swear, the woman who makes the schedules at our school does such a poor job- Literally, the entire month of september, we had nothing going on, and then come October, we have 1-2 final exams a week. I feel your pain mah brotha! It's really funny how she doesn't give two cares either. I remember during orientation week she showed up to the introductions wearing wrinkled cotton army-print capris and flip flops. Certainly a great first impression.

My school has it's pros and cons; It's in a pretty academic/hospital-like setting, and has a couple good profs. The financial aid officer is EXTREMELY knowledgable, and the school provides notes, audio recordings, and free tutors. I just don't like that there are some profs that are completely imcompetent at times- we had a guest lecturer from the PhD portion of our school literally google something in front of the entire class! You've read my other rant though lol.

Reactions: 1 user
1-2 exa
My school is the same way! Currently getting in a couple of last glances at some good ol' DA. I swear, the woman who makes the schedules at our school does such a poor job- Literally, the entire month of september, we had nothing going on, and then come October, we have 1-2 final exams a week. I feel your pain mah brotha! It's really funny how she doesn't give two cares either. I remember during orientation week she showed up to the introductions wearing wrinkled cotton army-print capris and flip flops. Certainly a great first impression.

My school has it's pros and cons; It's in a pretty academic/hospital-like setting, and has a couple good profs. The financial aid officer is EXTREMELY knowledgable, and the school provides notes, audio recordings, and free tutors. I just don't like that there are some profs that are completely imcompetent at times- we had a guest lecturer from the PhD portion of our school literally google something in front of the entire class! You've read my other rant though lol.

Lol. Would you like .5 exams once a week? That sounds like it's literally the easiest test schedule, ever. And finals in October? Whaaaaaaat? What do you do nov-dec?

Members don't see this ad :)
Exams stacked on quizzes stacked on practicals has been my experience.

Does it suck? Yes, but it's nothing close to an impossible work load. We just put our big boy (or girl) pants on and deal with it.

If you must get As I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems, but a specialty ain't one.

Reactions: 6 users
1-2 exa

Lol. Would you like .5 exams once a week? That sounds like it's literally the easiest test schedule, ever. And finals in October? Whaaaaaaat? What do you do nov-dec?

@bsp1013 It's weird! Some of our classes are 3 weeks, or 6 weeks, etc, and then always end with a final exam- but what's recently been happening is that the class ends, and the final exam isn't scheduled until like weeks later, when other classes have already begun *pulls hair out*

We finish by the third friday in November, and are essentially off until January, with the exception of sealant duty the first two weeks of december.

dental school is an enema...just let it happen and then get on with it

Reactions: 1 users
We just had 14 tests in a month period. Does that make me not like dental school? Nah, it's what we all competed for and knew we were getting into. I don't like paying $70,000 in tuition and having some rude staff/professors and their priority being on their research or pet projects. I like that the curriculim is changing this year, however, that results in some disorganization. I am worried about getting patients in a few years, and I dislike how much ethics we have.

I wouldn't say I dislike anything, so far at least. Every school has office/scheduling/being on time type of problems, but nothing we can really do about that.

@bsp1013 It's weird! Some of our classes are 3 weeks, or 6 weeks, etc, and then always end with a final exam- but what's recently been happening is that the class ends, and the final exam isn't scheduled until like weeks later, when other classes have already begun *pulls hair out*

We finish by the third friday in November, and are essentially off until January, with the exception of sealant duty the first two weeks of december.

Reminds me how happy I am to be out of school. Nova had absolutely zero respect for students' time.

I recall having plans to go out of town/state sometimes and nova would say "mandatory meeting next Saturday".. Sorry, It's not like I'm from boca; I've got plane tickets that have been purchased for months.
Nova: "too bad. Show up or else."

Once I was cleared by an ass. dean to go out of town and made sure 2 months in advance to inform the ass. Dean I'd be unavailable that weekend just in case a Saturday thing came up. Well, of course, a week before I'm going out of town we're notified of a Saturday mandatory meeting. Mind you, I had taken all necessary steps to ensure that I could ***be allowed*** to leave town for a weekend (I feel like I was in a North Korean prison camp as I'm typing this).

I was fined $75 by the school and had to attend a make up session on ethics or some bull****. And they purposely made it on a Saturday morning to punish me and the other students who had missed the meeting.and they wonder why no alums give money. Lol. I'm sure they don't care though, they're cashing blank checks from sallie!

- Biomedical science professors that teaches well and are nice to students
- Upper class men that are always willing to mentor us first years
- Dean of Student Affairs that is always there to accommodate student concerns
- Helpful support staff (sim lab custodians, clinic assistants, administrative assistants)

Dislikes:
- Campus has no library and cafeteria in addition to being in a high-crime area; Leaving the campus at night even with the presence of campus police is not very safe
- Expensive tuition fee but we have to fight for study rooms, wet lab supplies, etc.
- Filler classes that are not hard but takes up a lot of time that could have been used to finish sim lab projects or study
- MEAN clinical professors
- Exam change requires YES vote of the entire class
- Professors that are concern with minor details of our appearance (must wear solid colored long socks at the sim lab, etc.) but do not know how to teach right

Reactions: 1 user
- Biomedical science professors that teaches well and are nice to students
- Upper class men that are always willing to mentor us first years
- Dean of Student Affairs that is always there to accommodate student concerns
- Helpful support staff (sim lab custodians, clinic assistants, administrative assistants)

Dislikes:
- Campus has no library and cafeteria in addition to being in a high-crime area; Leaving the campus at night even with the presence of campus police is not very safe
- Expensive tuition fee but we have to fight for study rooms, wet lab supplies, etc.
- Filler classes that are not hard but takes up a lot of time that could have been used to finish sim lab projects or study
- MEAN clinical professors
- Exam change requires YES vote of the entire class
- Professors that are concern with minor details of our appearance (must wear solid colored long socks at the sim lab, etc.) but do not know how to teach right
what school do you attend?

I like everything except:
  • The city it's in. I hate New Orleans. Great city to visit. Not so great to live in.
  • The elevators sometimes get stuck between floors. I keep picturing that scene from one of the Final Destination movies where that girl dies while trying to get out of a stuck elevator. Nope. I take the stairs.

pass/fail classes and no ranks. booya!