What do you like to do for fun???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LatinoMasFino

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this one is a favorite of ADCOMS...but as my coworker said "You can't say F***ing, so you gotta pick something else..."

I do nothing fancy here...I like reading, working out and watching TV, but I'm not a black belt or a concert pianist...so what's an appropriate answer? Are you honest or do you hype yourself up a bit?

What do all you premeds do for fun anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

I usually say just relax, playing computer games..
but I do mention how recently, I've taken up ballroom dancing, and their eyes seem to light up at this...

Members don't see this ad :)
see...that's exactly what I mean!!! Maybe that means I have to take up underwater basket weaving or something in order for them to be like "wow, you have a personality"

ballroom dancing sounds kinda cool though:D

I say the things that I actually do. I play tennis, basketball, football occassionally, boxing, hitting the punching bag (and have the knuckle scars to prove it), socializing, photography, reading, and dating.

Watch tv, read, computer games, tennis, debating with people on the internet and watching movies or going out and doing things with friends. That's pretty much the list, not in any particular order.

I keep thinking about getting a nice digital camera to take up photography, but I just don't have the money. I really think I would enjoy it.

:idea:I guess having a cocktail wouldn't be the right answer here....

In all of my free time, I post on this one forum - SDN - you heard of it?

I save puppies from burning buildings. It won't make me famous, but it's not about the glory.

I usually say just relax, playing computer games..
but I do mention how recently, I've taken up ballroom dancing, and their eyes seem to light up at this...

Yay! Another pre-med ballroom dancer. :)

just be honest. There's nothing wrong with just having normal interests and nothing really too unique.

The first time I was asked this question, I was TOTALLY caught off-guard. That's when I realized I had no hobbies...AH! I was like, um, listening to music? (in reality, while studying), working in a lab? that was horrible. Since then, I've been trying to to read more and catch up on my politics. I still don't know if those are really hobbies. Honestly, how can you have time for fun (other than self-medicating over the weekend with the bottle)...when you're premed? i kid, i kid...

Heh, because SDN is king of people who love to over prepare, it is honestly the one question I've consistently had do answer at every school so far. "What do you do for fun" and "What do you do to relax."

I like to rock-climb and hike (sports is the most popular), and to unwind I read with a book at a coffee shop.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so this one is a favorite of ADCOMS...but as my coworker said "You can't say F***ing, so you gotta pick something else..."

I do nothing fancy here...I like reading, working out and watching TV, but I'm not a black belt or a concert pianist...so what's an appropriate answer? Are you honest or do you hype yourself up a bit?

I like to go fishing, snowboarding, camping, blah, blah, blah... If you don't do anything for fun then what do you do with all of your down time?

I am seriously considering taking up a new hobby just so I can have something interesting to say. :)

the post above just confuses me...

I love love love... reading French classic literature, fashion and clothing design, Pilates, listening to jazz, running, taking advantage of being 21 and in LA :) , Sangria, cooking and eating spicy food, learning how to acquire the proper taste for wine, reading the pop-up Kama Sutra that I got for my birthday from some thoughtful girlfriends, watching independent films, and attempting to have a normal life despite the seemingly insurmountable obstacles that are uniquely a pre-med's.

There, if you can't think of any of your own, you can steal some of mine since I basically gave you my life story. ;)

youtube and wikipedia all day. occasional social interaction when walking to the bathroom. fa sho.

oooo I'll play.
I like to skateboard, drink, play sudoku, spend money I don't have, make mischief at theme parks, pretend to go to the gym, watch lots of movies, and I think myspace and sdn should be on the "hobby" list as well.:D

I love playing the guitar, writing music, playing soccer, reading, spending time with family, drawing and go out with friends..

Ed

Hanging out with freinds.. sports (ultimate / basketball).. photography.. read.. hang around at the bookstore.. mess with computers (build them etc).. motorsports, car enthusiast.. admire nature a bit (camping etc) lol and thats about it i think.. oh and meditation :)

Firearms, beer, and motorcycles. I told them about the motorcycles. I don't suppose beer and guns would go over well.

Working out, cooking, relaxing with friends, and anything new/exciting.

Sing - hence the undergrad degree in music and the sophomore and senior recitals on the undergrad level ;)

Doesn't make me unique, but maybe at least dedicated?

I'm big into theater, I've thought plenty of times of making it my major. Anyhow, anytime not volunteering at the hospital, working 40+ hours a week, or going to class... I am on the stage.

Be honest. I've said I like to read, hang out with friends, and am a huge sports fan and enjoy watching games. Hasn't hurt me so far.

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. Camping and Hiking. The girlfriend and I have taken up ballroom dancing for the last year and a half. (started as country dancing, enjoyed it enough to just keep taking lessons in any type we could)

I REALLY like working out, but I don't have time to make it a priority lately, so the jiu jitsu keeps me in shape, although I'm making no gains on the weights in the gym.

just be honest. There's nothing wrong with just having normal interests and nothing really too unique.

I second this. I like running, and when I mentioned it they asked me if I ever raced, "No, I was a competitive athlete all my life and running is something I do just for me" and what kind of distances I liked to run. His daughter was a runner, so it was a bit of a common point of interest.

Usually they are just making small talk and trying to ascertain that you do have a life outside of medicine. They may also be fishing for common interests, so don't lie about anything!

I said I'm taking piano lessons for fun (which I am) since I always wanted to learn. It always elicits a positive response and sometimes good conversation.
Also, I say that I read and watch TV, like normal people. :D

I love reading, and I think I've said that at interviews. I also really love Habitat for Humanity and I think that's fun.

I've also said scuba diving...and if you're really looking to pick up a new activity, this one is AWESOME, and you won't regret it. :D

I love reading, and I think I've said that at interviews. I also really love Habitat for Humanity and I think that's fun.

I've also said scuba diving...and if you're really looking to pick up a new activity, this one is AWESOME, and you won't regret it. :D

Not me. I'm not too much a fan of deep water.

ME + WATER = DISASTER.

I blurted out I like to eat.. and broke out in laughter after.. which she joined in on and commented that I must have one of those high metabolisms.

I like to read, listen to/play music, and just lounge around. But, I also have been skiing since I was 6, and I have a black belt in Judo, as well as a few medals, so I like to mention that. :D

Also, I'm an avid boater--no fishing though. I just started learning to play golf, but I haven't really put the time into it to get any good.

Not me. I'm not too much a fan of deep water.

ME + WATER = DISASTER.

you don't even feel like you're underwater after a few minutes...i was pretty scared the first time, but now I love it!

Anything that's fast: jet skis, boating, horseback riding, Dirt bikes, ATVs....I love being out on the water. I'm in heaven when I get a chance to take the boat out on weekend trips or even when I'm riding my jet ski! There's lot of other stuff I like to do, but honestly, with school, and volunteering, and apps and everything else that goes on in our lives...its hard to find the time to do anything!

I like to repo cars for some extra $$$. Other than that just spending time with my girl--candle light dinners, walks through the park, all that jazz--keeps me happy.

LOL at most of these responses.
I'd have to go with underwater, nocturnal basketweaving

I like the suggestion of "I like to eat."

I think I'm adopting that one. I do, indeed like to eat. And that Gruyere sandwich was insufficient. SUSHI TONIGHT.

reupholstering furniture and restaining wood:D
actually anything that has to do w/ furniture modification:thumbup:

Did you ever try that stuff called Ready Strip?

QRB kit :D

I furnished my entire apartment from thrift store finds (solid wood) for a ridiculous price. I think I spend more money on food than on furniture

if you're honest: self gratification, drinking, smoking weed in a hookah, excessively flirting with girls, making extremely mean jokes.

if i'm trying to get into medschool: i like to read for fun, backpacking through europe, personal fitness, business and investing, etc.

You obviously like this stuff. The thing that I like about Ready Strip is that it goes on w/the consistency of toothpaste (i.e. sticks to vertical surfaces). It's also odorless.

I found an Emeco chair in the trash that I want to restore someday. Now it's just chilling in my garage with the lawnmower.