What do you look for when choosing a medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rikkye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.... beside whether you can get in or not.

Just a curiosity ... because here I am wondering how to narrow the schools down to around 20-30.

here's my list from most important to least important

1. tuition
2. programs
3. GPA & MCAT (can I get in?)
4. location

but I'm still at around 60 schools or so ... damn!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a curiosity ... because here I am wondering how to narrow the schools down to around 20-30.

1. tuition
2. programs
4. location

Start researching schools and drastically cutting down man, you must like some more than others. Are you saying that there are 60 schools which you can afford the tuition, like the program, could get into, and would not mind living there. If so, you are a very very qualified applicant and extremely flexible. In that case set up a dart board.....

1. tuition
2. programs
4. location

What do you mean by programs? Other things also worth considering are (1) curriculum -- full day vs half day lectures, PBL, organ vs systems, (2) grading system - if it matters to you; some folks feel P/F is more laid back, (3) research opportunities, (4) technology -- there are definite advantages to schools that are very computer savvy and have set up everyplace for wireless and put their lectures, notes, etc up on the web so you can watch/read them at home in your PJs. Finally, (5) when you actually go to interviews, go with your gut feel about the place, and whether you feel you could thrive there.

Members don't see this ad :)
location, associated hospitals, whether I've heard of it or not.

that's it.

You should be able to narrow it much more for whether or not you can get in by looking at the OOS rates in an MSAR. See how many out of state applicants are accepted each year. If its less than 10% and you have no ties to the area then its really not worth your time/money since they probably won't take you anyway.

This should cut down A HUGE CHUNK of that list for you.

You should be able to narrow it much more for whether or not you can get in by looking at the OOS rates in an MSAR. See how many out of state applicants are accepted each year. If its less than 10% and you have no ties to the area then its really not worth your time/money since they probably won't take you anyway.

This should cut down A HUGE CHUNK of that list for you.

absolutely agree, grab the msar... thats what took my list from rediculous to manageable