What do you love about being an emergency medicine physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justabanana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in what practicing emergency physicians (and residents) currently enjoy about their jobs, now. What do you like about emergency medicine in general? I'd love to hear anecdotal stories, generalities, and everything in-between.

Members don't see this ad.

The procedures.

An ultrasound guided IJ line. Maaan, I will never tire of that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No call, no clinic.

Can work as little or as much as you want.

You can do some pretty fun stuff and handle some situations that make other physicians scared.

I'm a third year student having a really hard time choosing between EM and Psych. Both totally different, I know. Anything I should be considering (that I may not be)?

I like that no matter how brutal a shift is, I get to go home at the end. Nice to have a light at the end of a tunnel. I also consider our profession the unsung heros of medicine and I wear that with pride.

I love the adrenaline rush of resuscitating a very sick person; the ability to speak the language of all specialties (just about); the variety of people, conditions, and conversations; I love that when other specialties get scared and need someone to give their patient to...it's me.

As a person, I love that I serve the community, I get to work with the EMS and law enforcement; I love that I can be involved in my kids and wife's lives while still being fully invested in my career. I love that I can be if service to my community on an airplane, on a soccer field, at the mall, and in the hospital.

As a teacher, I love the learners. Watching them feel overwhelmed at first and then gain more and more command as their training continues is amazing. Teaching them about end of life and post death issues, helping them make sense of complex cases and turn the natural tendency to go to chaos into a strong sense of order are joys for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 33 users
Nothing quite like a big juicy lac repair.

Oh and the people. Especially night shift nurses.

It's a very engaging job.

Never had a "boring shift."

Every patient is a puzzle. Hell most consultants are also puzzles. Navigating the system successfully is satisfying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a third year student having a really hard time choosing between EM and Psych. Both totally different, I know. Anything I should be considering (that I may not be)?
MS4 here, I thought I was committed to Psych until I had my EM rotation in third year. Changed my life. Others with more experience will likely be more helpful, but here's my two cents:

Talked to another SDNer about it in the class for 2017, and his take was that EM was "Psych Plus." You'll see a reasonable amount of Psych issues in the ED, and while you won't be forming a long-term therapeutic relationship with that person, you will get to see all the other disease processes and do all the procedures and manage all the high-acuity patients that you wouldn't typically see in Psych. That trade-off is fine with me.

Think about the aspects of Psych that you would be missing out on if you do EM and vice versa, and decide if there are any dealbreakers in that list. If not, then you essentially know you can't go wrong.

From what I've seen, Psych is less physically demanding, has overall lower stress and much steadier hours, all of which are helpful for staving off burn-out and maintaining life outside of work. Career longevity is a bit easier to come by in Psych. If you're motivated to advocate for and care for people who suffer from mental illness, and you want to help further a field that has a long way to go, Psych can be fulfilling. Both careers have a similarly good job market today, but Psych's job market may outlast EM's. Psych also has significantly less medicine, less instant gratification, less variety, less activity, can involve taking call. And there are happy EM docs, despite working a more physically demanding, stressful, odd-houred job.

Worse case scenario, if it turns out that EM was not the right fit for you, it's far easier to transfer into a Psych residency from EM than vice versa. Not saying this should be your Plan A, obviously, but it's a decent Plan B.

Hope this helps, happy to talk more if you want a sounding board.

Reactions: 2 users
Love pulling sick patients from the brink.

Also I love it when I "see the matrix" and everything just works (doesn't always happen of course). Large numbers of patients moved through with efficiency, happy and grateful for my care.

Also love a quick bedside diagnosis/discharge. Just this week...

Mom: "my (playful obviously happy baby) has had 3 bloody stools today!"

Me: "are they on cefdinir?"

Mom: "why yes..."

Boom, next patient.

Love intubations, central lines (all about the baby U/S guided IJ these days) and joint reductions, especially without narcs/sedation. Nursemaids elbow never gets old for me. A smooth FB removal is so satisfying. I'll pull a bug out of a kid's ear and put in a specimen cup and ask what they want to name it. Hilarious, at least to me.

It can be a really fun job.

Reactions: 4 users
Job security. I cannot (realistically) be fired or let go. Even if I were, I could find another job almost instantly.

An interview is me evaluating the hospital, not the other way around.

That's pretty cool, especially when I look at people in other walks of life.

Reactions: 5 users

Haha...as someone who started in psych and then restarted in EM...we should talk:)

Reactions: 4 users
Sick? On the brink of death? Dying as we speak?
Bring it.
I can handle anything ye Gods can throw at me.
And I can do it in front of an army of quivering floor nurses.

I can comfort the sick, the wounded, the parent of the vomiting kiddo.

Venko's 5:55 post really nailed it I think.
Does it suck sometimes?
Hell yeah.
Is it exhausting?
Yup.

Is the gratification of a family that you've helped arrange hospice for worth anything?
Now that... is priceless.

We see it all. We do it all. We love going home at the end of a shift and not being on call.

If you want the sucky side, there's a thread around here titled "Medicine sucks." That is as bad as it gets.
There's also a thread called "What I learned from my patients" which is far funnier and more lighthearded, That's more like it.

Rule #1: Eyebrows down, chin up, "of course, we see this all the time..."

Reactions: 3 users

I'm actually in this same exact position, with strong leanings toward EM. That's the reason I made this thread though, just copying the current thread in the psych forum. A lot of psychiatrists seem to really like their job even though they make less money. Recently talked to a bitter EM guy, saw that psych thread, and started worrying that EM people really only like the extra money and time off, but don't like their job. I just wanted that bit of comfort that there are plenty of people that actually like EM, in addition to liking the money and true time off.

Haha...as someone who started in psych and then restarted in EM...we should talk:)

And please dude. Fill us in!!!

I'm actually in this same exact position, with strong leanings toward EM. That's the reason I made this thread though, just copying the current thread in the psych forum. A lot of psychiatrists seem to really like their job even though they make less money. Recently talked to a bitter EM guy, saw that psych thread, and started worrying that EM people really only like the extra money and time off, but don't like their job. I just wanted that bit of comfort that there are plenty of people that actually like EM, in addition to liking the money and true time off.

And please dude. Fill us in!!!

I definitely know pysch doesnt get EM hourly rates, but I've been hearing their per hourly pay is on the higher end. Couldnt psych docs just work more hours?

This is just my tale in life and may not be reflective of the experience you have had or will have in either specialty:

I loved hearing the stories from the schizophrenic patients that were on the psychiatric service in Akron Ohio. They were vivid, and interesting stories that kept the day interesting. There was also always a tension in the moment: what am I going to say that will help move this conversation forward to the goals I have in mind for this person's well being. It sounds simple but each person: psychotic, depressed, anxious, etc needed the conversation to flow differently. The interactions with the people were great and why I felt like I should be a psychiatrist.

In practice, it felt a lot more like medication management / adjustment and less about the stories. Psychosis is still psychosis, depressed is still depressed...the vivid story didn't change their management. The reasons I decided to go into psychiatry was no longer present.

In addition, there's were negatives for me that I hadn't anticipated:
(1) nearly everyone I thought I was helping, came back in with the same or similar problems. It felt like a revolving door.

(2)The CATIE trial had just come out and represented essentially the only true hypothesis driven, solid methodology science at that time. I read 3/4 of the suggested reading list of text books for residency in the first three months of intern year. I really didn't feel like there was much science to the practice of psychiatry then. At my heart, i always wanted to be a person who wielded science to better the community. This was lost.

(3) I am an emotional guy. I empathize fairly strongly and quite quickly. Unfortunately, over a short time, my emotional range was becoming blunted. I was much more even in my responses to my friends and family too. A wedding was a +1 excitement, a death wa as -1. It was changing me at a very central level.

(4) There was a patient who had a clear as day UTI (symptoms, plus positive urine gram stain) on the inpatient unit and I wanted to treat it. The staff doc wanted me to consult medicine for it. I get their point, they had been away from medicine of that sort for over 15 years and didn't want to make a mistake. Yet, to me, I wanted to be a practitioner of medicine who could at least diagnose and treat a urinary tract infection.

I knew I had to leave the specialty. I didnt' know what to leave it to, and certainly I was leaving behind some great things too: my coresidents were amazing and some of my fondest memories happened with them. The demands were not very great. I stayed up late having fun, I got my work done on time and to a really high quality, and I wasn't tired mentally or physically. Emotionally drained however.

Every time I looked up at the helicopter taking off the helipad, I felt an excitement. I wanted to be on that machine. I wanted to be a part of that. I should have considered EM at that moment, but I had to wait until Dr. Howie Mell (then an EM resident) told me: " You know, you dont' really act like an psychiatrist. You think more like an EM doc." More of his colleagues told me I shoudl switch too.

Just by chance, at that same time, it seems, one of the EM residents (Dr. William Shakespeare - descendent of THE Shakespeare) was in the process of switching to anesthesia. This is relevant, because I didn't get any interviews for EM. I applied late in the ERAS process (only 1 month left in interview season) and I had failed a year in medical school and was a psychiatry transfer...you can imagine I was scared at my chances. Thankfully Dr. Sadosty seemed to see my potential and accepted me into the EM residency by offering me Dr. Shakespeare's position. It was a miracle.

One month into the training, I was caught up in the action. The science was overflowing and there is an endless amount of information to read and learn. I can read any specialty text or journal and find it interesting. I actually did get to make a difference and my patients didnt have to come back for the same problem again and again: UTI resolves, fractures heal, STEMI revascularized.

Everyday I get to hear great stories. I actually get to fix somethings. I get to read wonderful scientific articles and there is so much that I can't keep up. I go home physically and mentally exhausted, though emotionally I am back to empathizing with the people I care about the most. I still get to customize the way I communicate to achieve my goals but now I do it with various patients AND with my consulting services and inpatient services.

I am truly blessed to love what I do. I would do everything again (college, medical school, repeat a year, psych intern year, EM residency, fellowship...everything) if given the opportunity.

This probably didnt help you at all as it is quite unique to me, but its my story of psychiatry and emergency medicine.

Reactions: 20 users
Let me say this... at least during the first two years, I was never great at coming up with differentials. I'd have to look at medscape or something, but had a hard time synthesizing them on my own. If someone suggested a differential I didn't consider, it would almost always make sense and I'd always end up say "Oh yeah...of course, why didn't I think of that one".

Is this an indication I'm not suited to EM where you need to constantly be coming up with differentials for your patients and/or rule things in/out? Or is this a skill that is learned later in med school/residency?

Is this an indication I'm not suited to EM where you need to constantly be coming up with differentials for your patients and/or rule things in/out? Or is this a skill that is learned later in med school/residency?

No. Yes.

Let me say this... at least during the first two years, I was never great at coming up with differentials. I'd have to look at medscape or something, but had a hard time synthesizing them on my own. If someone suggested a differential I didn't consider, it would almost always make sense and I'd always end up say "Oh yeah...of course, why didn't I think of that one".

ddx is always expanding even as an attending. you should do a basic em pod cast with ddx. You should know the big bad and ugly ddx for all common complaints. It takes time, no knd expects you to run a code either as a student.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Also love a quick bedside diagnosis/discharge. Just this week...

Mom: "my (playful obviously happy baby) has had 3 bloody stools today!"

Me: "are they on cefdinir?"

Mom: "why yes..."

Boom, next patient.

If I had a dollar for every hematemesis brought in with a finger up his nose or by a mom was raw nipples...

Or my personal favorite: seeing the nursemaid as they're walking to their room and having them fixed and dispo'ed before they sit down.

IMO, it's a part of being a learner. Through residency you'll learn to have appropriate differentials for most things. Certainly, there are people who will have an easier time making the connections etc throughout your career, but residency will empower you to be able to have a long career in the specialty. All you have to do is try, be receptive to feedback, study, and see lots of patients.

This is just my tale in life and may not be reflective of the experience you have had or will have in either specialty:

I loved hearing the stories from the schizophrenic patients that were on the psychiatric service in Akron Ohio. They were vivid, and interesting stories that kept the day interesting. There was also always a tension in the moment: what am I going to say that will help move this conversation forward to the goals I have in mind for this person's well being. It sounds simple but each person: psychotic, depressed, anxious, etc needed the conversation to flow differently. The interactions with the people were great and why I felt like I should be a psychiatrist.

In practice, it felt a lot more like medication management / adjustment and less about the stories. Psychosis is still psychosis, depressed is still depressed...the vivid story didn't change their management. The reasons I decided to go into psychiatry was no longer present.

(1) nearly everyone I thought I was helping, came back in with the same or similar problems. It felt like a revolving door.

(2)The CATIE trial had just come out and represented essentially the only true hypothesis driven, solid methodology science at that time. I read 3/4 of the suggested reading list of text books for residency in the first three months of intern year. I really didn't feel like there was much science to the practice of psychiatry then. At my heart, i always wanted to be a person who wielded science to better the community. This was lost.

(3) I am an emotional guy. I empathize fairly strongly and quite quickly. Unfortunately, over a short time, my emotional range was becoming blunted. I was much more even in my responses to my friends and family too. A wedding was a +1 excitement, a death wa as -1. It was changing me at a very central level.

(4) There was a patient who had a clear as day UTI (symptoms, plus positive urine gram stain) on the inpatient unit and I wanted to treat it. The staff doc wanted me to consult medicine for it. I get their point, they had been away from medicine of that sort for over 15 years and didn't want to make a mistake. Yet, to me, I wanted to be a practitioner of medicine who could at least diagnose and treat a urinary tract infection.

I knew I had to leave the specialty. I didnt' know what to leave it to, and certainly I was leaving behind some great things too: my coresidents were amazing and some of my fondest memories happened with them. The demands were not very great. I stayed up late having fun, I got my work done on time and to a really high quality, and I wasn't tired mentally or physically. Emotionally drained however.

Every time I looked up at the helicopter taking off the helipad, I felt an excitement. I wanted to be on that machine. I wanted to be a part of that. I should have considered EM at that moment, but I had to wait until Dr. Howie Mell (then an EM resident) told me: " You know, you dont' really act like an psychiatrist. You think more like an EM doc." More of his colleagues told me I shoudl switch too.

Just by chance, at that same time, it seems, one of the EM residents (Dr. William Shakespeare - descendent of THE Shakespeare) was in the process of switching to anesthesia. This is relevant, because I didn't get any interviews for EM. I applied late in the ERAS process (only 1 month left in interview season) and I had failed a year in medical school and was a psychiatry transfer...you can imagine I was scared at my chances. Thankfully Dr. Sadosty seemed to see my potential and accepted me into the EM residency by offering me Dr. Shakespeare's position. It was a miracle.

One month into the training, I was caught up in the action. The science was overflowing and there is an endless amount of information to read and learn. I can read any specialty text or journal and find it interesting. I actually did get to make a difference and my patients didnt have to come back for the same problem again and again: UTI resolves, fractures heal, STEMI revascularized.

Everyday I get to hear great stories. I actually get to fix somethings. I get to read wonderful scientific articles and there is so much that I can't keep up. I go home physically and mentally exhausted, though emotionally I am back to empathizing with the people I care about the most. I still get to customize the way I communicate to achieve my goals but now I do it with various patients AND with my consulting services and inpatient services.

I am truly blessed to love what I do. I would do everything again (college, medical school, repeat a year, psych intern year, EM residency, fellowship...everything) if given the opportunity.

This probably didnt help you at all as it is quite unique to me, but its my story of psychiatry and emergency medicine.
Interesting read, sort of the anti-thesis to House of God ironically.

you can do all of mine. ;)

I second that. I hate central lines with a passion.....not the procedure itself but that I will be tied up for 30 minutes and the department will go to hell while I'm gone.

I like the autonomy and ability to work as much or as little as I want, and set my schedule. I also like being able to take a vacation at any time I want, to anywhere I want for any length of time.

If you are not 100% set on EM, don't do it.

Although that is true for many specialties, psych probably included.

Also, I understand it is difficult as a med student to be 100% on anything unless you've truly experienced it. But, EM is one you need to be pretty darn sure that it is the fit for you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ummmmm......when you only need 5 or 6 lists, it's not that hard. The CP differential doesn't change between patients. You're still looking for the same dozen or so conditions with each patient.

If I had a dollar for every hematemesis brought in with a finger up his nose or by a mom was raw nipples...

Or my personal favorite: seeing the nursemaid as they're walking to their room and having them fixed and dispo'ed before they sit down.

I don't think there is ANYTHING as slam dunk satisfying as a nursemaid's elbow.

It's like your Mr. Miyagi.

Reactions: 1 users

For some reason, my favorite presentation is migraine. Real migraine sufferers, not drug-seekers. It's so easy to order my cocktail and then come to the patient who says "I feel 100% better." Awesome.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm interested in what practicing emergency physicians (and residents) currently enjoy about their jobs, now. What do you like about emergency medicine in general? I'd love to hear anecdotal stories, generalities, and everything in-between.

A lot of the posters hit most of the points that do it for me. But here are my thoughts:

1) Resuscitation. I never feel quite as alive as when a patient comes in on the brink of death and my team snatches them back. I have the training that allows me to speak calmly and act like there is ice water in my veins in a situation that would necessitate a change of underpants for most (non ER) physicians. I set the tone in the resus room and bring order out of chaos. This must be what cocaine feels like.

2) Patients. I walk into rooms with patients and families who are ill and scared. I listen more than I talk. I connect with them in a very intense way. I've had my fair share of difficult patient interactions but they are a minority. Most people are super appreciative and give me the warm fuzzy feelings I've had since first year of medical school.

3) Colleagues. If ER docs and RNs aren't the best crew to work with, I don't know who are. Y'all a bunch of badasses.

4) Lifestyle. I can stack my shifts in a way that allows me to travel frequently and see the world. If I am not in the hospital, I am free of responsibilities. I still can't believe how much I get paid to do this.

As a fourth year applying EM, this thread has got me so hyped.

A lot of the posters hit most of the points that do it for me. But here are my thoughts:

1) Resuscitation. I never feel quite as alive as when a patient comes in on the brink of death and my team snatches them back. I have the training that allows me to speak calmly and act like there is ice water in my veins in a situation that would necessitate a change of underpants for most (non ER) physicians. I set the tone in the resus room and bring order out of chaos. This must be what cocaine feels like.

Saw this just the other day from one of my favorite attendings this Sub-I. Woman came in with a massive STEMI, progressing with runs of V tach as the cath lab is coming in from home. Calm as a hindu cow this dude is walking the team through hanging the amio and mag, placing the pads, charging the defib... Tone of voice like he was explaining how to frost a cake. I've seen a lot of dope stuff in med school, but that was a total 'whoa' moment for me.

As a fourth year applying EM, this thread has got me so hyped.

Saw this just the other day from one of my favorite attendings this Sub-I. Woman came in with a massive STEMI, progressing with runs of V tach as the cath lab is coming in from home. Calm as a hindu cow this dude is walking the team through hanging the amio and mag, placing the pads, charging the defib... Tone of voice like he was explaining how to frost a cake. I've seen a lot of dope stuff in med school, but that was a total 'whoa' moment for me.

I guess it is kind of impressive the first time you see it. But I felt the same way about a lap appy and a C-section to be honest.

Love seeing them reach out with the arm you just fixed for the popsicle. One of the most satisfying things in the ED.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Loved bringing a patient back from the brink with an airway maneuver or defibrillation.
Loved the occasion a patient would say, "Thanks."
Loved the variety.
Loved the entertaining 'circus' of it all.
Loved the camaraderie of fellow ED fold.
Loved the times I had long stretches of time off.
Loved treating MIs, lacs, ankle sprains, broken bones, curable infections.
Loved the feeling of knowing at least a little bit about everything.
Loved reading about Emergency Medicine in it's purest form.

I love the "clunk" of a reduction. Shoulder and hip dislocations are the most satisfying part of my job. They usually come in with peer agony and after I reduce it with or without sedation they are feeling better and smiling. I also love true and obvious benign vertigo. They come in feeling like absolute **** and thinking they are having a stroke and walk out thinking I walk on water.

I love (in some ways) that no matter your situation or what time it is I am here to take care of you. Not many specialties can say that.

I love being there with a family when I bring their loved one back from the brink or when I tell them there is nothing more we could do. Being a part of those moments is an absolute privledge.

I love that I don't have any call.
I love that tomorrow I can quit my job and know I can pick up random shifts in random EDs to make it.

Thanks all, I know this is a touch old, but I'm trying to write my PS and can't get past saying "its just where I belong, so let me in!". Every PS I read is incredibly boring and cliche. I'm on the border of writing 1 paragraph saying the things I like and what my personality brings and giving PD's a break, but I'm also not that brave.

Reading these helps give put in words a lot of sentiments I have just taken for granted. Thanks

Good thread bump.
I love taking someone in horrible pain (eg, kidney stone, displaced fracture), and getting rid of that pain for the moment. Not fixing them in either case, and they will likely hurt again, but at least they know what’s going on and how to treat it.
I like (not love) helping someone understand a terrible diagnosis. I don’t like breaking the news of death, or cancer, or whatever, but helping them understand what I just told them can be very gratifying.
I also love placing emergent chest tubes, or swiftly intubating a patient with a difficult airway. Mostly I love reducing large joints, particularly elbows. Nothing beats that.

I love seeing junior residents transition to become resuscitationists. And I love being a part of a case where a student or resident gets to do something for the first time like RSI, placing a line, LP, etc.

I am in almost the same boat as you were. I am strongly considering psych because I find it very interesting. There is not a lot of conditions as interesting as an acute psychosis or hallucinations, and the brain is by far the most interesting organ out there. HOWEVER, I did not go to med school to not be able to treat a UTI or handle a hypertension. I am also considering FM and IM (and EM remotely) for those reasons, but I am deterred by the long hours and how it would affect me. I do not plan to allow the hospital work be my main thing in life as I have other interests (investing, sports, social aspects, traveling, taking up new hobbies and learning new things in other fields). What advice would you have fo r me? And have you had any regrets switching to EM from psych? Do you miss anything about psych clinical practice or the research?

Reviving this since we've had a lot of doom and gloom on the forum lately.

Recently at work I've:
-reduced and splinted a dislocation while getting the patient in-n-out of the ED in under an hour
-chatted with a very sharp 95yo retired physician (I was caring for his family member) who was dropping sage knowledge bombs on medicine and life and stories about working before CTs and other novelties existed
-resuscitated and tubed/lined/everything'd a basically dead patient who is now extubated and neuro-intact
-personally fetched and delivered the best damn ED turkey sammie in the metro for a homeless vet
-relieved somebody's pain (sans narcotics) that had been bothering them for months
-facilitated a miraculous recovery of a "seizing" patient by announcing to the room we'd have to cath him for urine
-guided a dying patient to care that focuses on quality of life rather than painfully prolonging it

All of these moments and patients were fulfilling and meaningful to me in their own way. I still hate CMGs, clipboard dweebs, and anything that makes it harder to do our job and/or tries to keep us from being compensated fairly for our work. But I know I will have more new experiences this week that will bring me some joy. No corporate troll is gonna take that away.

Reactions: 11 users
The camaraderie of those you work with, the variety of the conditions your treat, procedures, and the the times you can occasionally turn someone around who's really sick, such as a witnessed arrest & successful defibrillation, reducing a dislocated joint, fixing a wound, or intubating a patient who'd die without your breathing tube.

I'm applying for psych and I honestly loved my EM rotation. If I had done it as a 3rd year, I may have been swayed in a different direction. I honestly still think about it sometimes. Some of the most psychotic people I've ever seen were in the ED. I also just loved how short everyone's attention span was and how that meant that things were going to move asap.

Anesthesia not coming down fast enough to intubate a patient they said they wanted to? Too bad... we're gonna do it now without them.

The best advice I got in med school was to pick a specialty based on the thing that you see most often, not the most exciting thing in the field. In EM that's going to be chest pain/sob and in psych that's going to be anxiety/depression. If you dread doing the lowest common denominator thing... you're going to hate your life. If you can enjoy that thing, then you're going to love things.

I got along great with the EM physicians I worked with.

This is probably the worst thread I could have read the night before an interview...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Navigating the system successfully is satisfying.

My most satisfying patient on my previous shift was an old guy who was weaker than normal, on PICC IV Abx for chronic osteomyelitis. Had this weird rash on his legs. His vitals were normal, Cr from 1 to 2. He was not sick. I stopped the offending agent (one of his Abx), I talked to ID, his PMD, even the hospitalist, adjusted his home medicines and sent him home and he's going to get a repeat Cr in a few days.

Felt AWESOME to do all of that. I navigated the system and it worked. It's so easy to admit those people and they just sit in the hospital twiddling their thumbs

BTW, the only reason why I was able to do this was it happened to be on the slow side that day. If I had seen > 2 hr that day, probably wasn't gonna happen.