What do you miss most while in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you miss most about being a med student?

• Having money

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Your favorite TV show(s)

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • A regular date

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Sleep

Votes: 41 24.4%
  • A concept of time

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

ColoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what do you miss most during your life as a medical student that you had before you started medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

ColoMD said:
So, what do you miss most during your life as a medical student that you had before you started medical school?
I said favorite TV show but only because I'm in Canada and the cable here isn't quite the same. I definitely still have time to watch TV...it's just that I have no desire to watch French soap operas.
I think I may miss my car more than my TV shows...but it depends on what time of day it is and if I have any errands to run!

I said other. I miss being outside. I'm pretty much in lecture or studying during the daylight hours which depresses me a little. I need some sunlight. I really hope we have a nice labor day weekend, because I'm not going to study on Sunday (just Friday and Saturday) so I can have time to relax outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tiki said:
I said other. I miss being outside. I'm pretty much in lecture or studying during the daylight hours which depresses me a little. I need some sunlight. I really hope we have a nice labor day weekend, because I'm not going to study on Sunday (just Friday and Saturday) so I can have time to relax outside.

Then study outside by the pool. It'll definitely take the edge off. Keep some color now before you develop the translucent skin that identifies a third year. ;)

I miss having being able to have a life. By that I mostly mean being able to function in relationships outside of the ones I have with my books. You think your schedule is worked out perfectly, then suddenly, you have drama to attend to and it just throws everything off... so frustrating.

we have our cardiovascular sequence final the day after labor day. :( looks like no holiday weekend for this monkey.

i miss the feeling of having to do nothing, having absolutely nothing that you need to be doing ... you know, now, i can do nothing (and often i do,) but always, in the back of my mind, there is that little voice: you should be studying.

I miss having friends. Aside from my husband, whom I see when I come home to study, I don't socialize much, because I simply don't have time to. :(

Having free time. Before med school I usually had a fair amount of time that I could control. In med school I do not as lectures, labs, and studying takes up most of my hours. It's going to be hard going back after my MS1-MS2 vacation.

I miss having a "regular date"...hell, any date.

Awwww craaap.... and I'm about to start med school at Rush in a week. Oh well, time to relish doing nothing. :(

During the first two years, I missed friends & the ability to continue the non-medical activities that I loved.

As a third year now, however, sleep is DEFINITELY it! :)

Family, girlfriend, friends who aren't med students, and a non-humid climate.

Definately TV...I don't have a tv at my place.. :(

i was at a house party last ngiht where some friends of mine were djing. I realized that its been 2 months since Ive played a record, something that was such a huge part of my life before medical school.

Sucks to be reminded of just how much has to be sacrificed for this.

Other. A day that doesn't involve some intolerable level of anxiety.

I miss sleeping, the day light, and the freedom to do anything I want at any time. I actually HATE medical school now. What the hell was I thinking. I wish I had went to a PhD program instead. :mad: Toooooo late to go back now, I am almost a MS-4.

I miss keeping up with current events (politics, etc), reading fiction for pleasure (somehow, that Langman's Embryo just ain't the same), hanging out with non-med school friends, and talking about stuff besides medicine. I went from talking about history, art, movies, books to talking about the friggin' brachial plexus. That blows.

:mad:

phllystyl said:
i was at a house party last ngiht where some friends of mine were djing. I realized that its been 2 months since Ive played a record, something that was such a huge part of my life before medical school.

Sucks to be reminded of just how much has to be sacrificed for this.

Heyo! I used to spin, scratch etc as well..i miss the good old days when you can just hang out with some frens, spin some good records, mix them etc :(

What I miss most is getting to surf. While an undergrad I was an avid surfer often getting out atleast once a week, but now that I am in med school finding the time to surf (nearest beach is one hour away) is VERY hard. Last week there was epic surf back home because of the hurricane but I missed out on all of it because I was studying/taking an exam. THIS SUCKS. I plan on doing my residency at the beach.