What do you most look forward to as med school approaches?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brookester

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought that it would be interesting to start a thread on this, to get peoples different perspectives on what medical school means to them, and what they will contribute.

Members don't see this ad.

brookester said:
I just thought that it would be interesting to start a thread on this, to get peoples different perspectives on what medical school means to them, and what they will contribute.
banging some nurses.

getting away from this **** town im in right now.........and the ****ty people in it..........im sure there are ****ty ppl where im giong too, but new ****ty people is refreshing

Members don't see this ad :)
yes...banging the nurses are nice. But to tell you the truth, I am not looking forward to going to medical school.

Not having to work this boring desk job anymore....actually feeling like on my way towards some sort of a career, having Christmas, spring, and summer breaks again! :)

good..... At least I could get one honest answer

AlaskaGirl said:
Not having to work this boring desk job anymore....actually feeling like on my way towards some sort of a career, having Christmas, spring, and summer breaks again! :)

I couldn't agree more! Also, I love the student lifestyle. It's so much more fulfilling that sitting in a stuffy old office!

kwc1979 said:
I couldn't agree more! Also, I love the student lifestyle. It's so much more fulfilling that sitting in a stuffy old office!

My thoughts exactly!

I can't wait to graduate. I've been in college for 8 years. Med school makes me feel like I am actually starting towards a career instead of just jumping through hoops.

im dying to study again. i know this sounds nerdy as all hell but i would murder someone to be able to come out of a library at 11 pm all tired and nervous and caffein'd out for some exam. perhaps this is a feeling only shared by the year off taking people and nontrads, but goddamn i miss school supplies, cramming, uncomfortable library chairs, annoying people talking too much in the quiet sections, the consolation of the ipod while reading something boring....

learning how to look super-cool holding a stethoscope (or otoscope, or opthalmascope, etc.)

actually knowing something close to a right answer when my friends ask me random, "hey, you're gonna be a doctor right? what's this rash on my arm?" type questions

wearing scrubs instead of work clothes

generic said:
actually knowing something close to a right answer when my friends ask me random, "hey, you're gonna be a doctor right? what's this rash on my arm?" type questions

haha....i get that question all the time!! and the sad part is, now that i have gotten in, i almost feel bad (like i'm a disappointment) not having some sort of answer for them!

Long_John said:
banging some nurses.
thats a superb federer icon. i just want to stop worrying about getting into med school. but worrying will begin anew for something else, so i guess im looking forward to the subject matter, all of the classes look very interesting unlike in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Picking apart a dead body :thumbup:

I did that in a summer program. Assuming it's not an autopsy, the preservative makes your eyes burn and water and your nose runs after a while. I didn't find it terribly enjoyable. It was okay but not fabulous. Using the sharp scalpel tends to be fun though. The bone saw is pretty brutal and kicks up powdery bone. Somehow it doesn't cut skin though through some oscillatory mechanism. Anyone else done this?

Shredder said:
I did that in a summer program. Assuming it's not an autopsy, the preservative makes your eyes burn and water and your nose runs after a while. I didn't find it terribly enjoyable. It was okay but not fabulous. Using the sharp scalpel tends to be fun though. The bone saw is pretty brutal and kicks up powdery bone. Somehow it doesn't cut skin though through some oscillatory mechanism. Anyone else done this?

Nope, I have only done a cat in undergrad anatomy. I know what you mean about the smell of phenol. I am just excited to learn human anatomy.

opinionkitten said:
im dying to study again. i know this sounds nerdy as all hell but i would murder someone to be able to come out of a library at 11 pm all tired and nervous and caffein'd out for some exam. perhaps this is a feeling only shared by the year off taking people and nontrads, but goddamn i miss school supplies, cramming, uncomfortable library chairs, annoying people talking too much in the quiet sections, the consolation of the ipod while reading something boring....
I know exactly how you feel!

opinionkitten said:

I could not have said this better. This is EXACTLY how I feel.
By the time classes begin, I would have taken 2 yrs off.
WELL SAID!!!

intellectual stimulation.

Quitting my job. Thank you Jesus.

im really looking forward to moving into a new city and having a kick ass apartment with nice furniture and matching bed sheets/spreads/pillow shams....undergrad has been slightly ghetto in those respects.......

oh and im kinda excited about shadowing doctors and getting my hands dirty in some real action!

opinionkitten said:

I completely agree with you! I have been out for almost three years now and really do actually miss "studying" for something...and all that entails. God, I am such a dork!!! :laugh:

Tkehinde said:
I could not have said this better. This is EXACTLY how I feel.
By the time classes begin, I would have taken 2 yrs off.
WELL SAID!!!

me too! love everything that goes along w/ studying....well said!

A little bit of everything mentioned before:

Quitting my two jobs and leaving Philadelphia!! :D

Studying something that I'm actually interested in - as opposed to the boring stuff I'm stuyding now... :sleep:

And, knowing that I'm finally "starting a career." :thumbup:

Wearing scrubs... :love:

AlaskaGirl said:
I completely agree with you! I have been out for almost three years now and really do actually miss "studying" for something...and all that entails. God, I am such a dork!!! :laugh:

Yes! I feel like my brain is atrophying. I am sick of having all my work benefit somebody else.

I'm so excited about getting started, less than four months!

I'm looking most forward to wearing my first white coat, even if it is just a short one. And then slinging a stethoscope around my neck, that's really gonna feel good.

And books. I can't wait to buy my books. I love textbooks, once I got an anatomy book for my birthday and i LOVED it.

I've been wearing lots of scrubs lately at work, so I'm kind of over that, but I certainly remember the excitement when that started. I'm with you guys!

Just memorizing stuff instead of giving myself a brain hemorrhage with all this engineering crap.

opinionkitten said:

I couldn't have worded it better. I took a year off, and I am itching to go back. I'm returning as a post-bacc student to do all of the prerequisites. Everyone is telling me that it is going to be horribly difficult, and I agree, but it is 10 times better than sitting in an office, alone for 8 hours, under the hum of flouresecent lights, chugging away at job that you hate, and do not care about.

I can't wait to go back to school! :thumbup: