What do you need To take/major in.

Jman2018

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on enrolling in College soon and i am a bit confused as to what i should major in. I figure Biology? Issue is i dont much want to major in that, as i wouldnt want to say, be a biology teacher if Dentistry(Probally-dentistry) didnt work out. Im wondering would i be able to get away with something like BioMed Engineering with a minor in Biology,Possibly also one in Chemistry? How much does your major matter, what is generally desired in a applicant? Do i need a foreign language?(Its optional for eng. Studets)

Members don't see this ad.

You should major in something you enjoy. If pre-med/pre-dent, you will take prerequisite classes in bio/math/chem/physics. If those count towards you major, then you have more time free for electives.

By the way, majoring in biology gives you more options at the end than just doctor or science teacher.

As often is posted in this forum, I cannot emphasize enough that college is a major step in your life's journey. Please don't think of it as just a box you need to check off on the way to medical/dental school. Learn something about yourself, learn stuff you want to know. You'll be happier later. Even if all goes to plan and you become a physician, you don't want to look back to college and only remember organic chemistry and 4 years miserable in the library. That just isn't the way it has to go down.

You should major in something you enjoy. If pre-med/pre-dent, you will take prerequisite classes in bio/math/chem/physics. If those count towards you major, then you have more time free for electives.

By the way, majoring in biology gives you more options at the end than just doctor or science teacher.

As often is posted in this forum, I cannot emphasize enough that college is a major step in your life's journey. Please don't think of it as just a box you need to check off on the way to medical/dental school. Learn something about yourself, learn stuff you want to know. You'll be happier later. Even if all goes to plan and you become a physician, you don't want to look back to college and only remember organic chemistry and 4 years miserable in the library. That just isn't the way it has to go down.
What other options are there in science and biology? All i know is teaching (And my teacher hates it, and feels stupid for having 2 masters but no respect or money.. i fear ever being him.)

With a science major? You could get into a PhD program in biology or neuroscience or whatever, or a masters program, or a masters in public health, or go into nursing, physical or occupational therapy. You could get a masters or PhD in stats and become a biostatistician. You could get a job as a lab tech (pre-doctoral job) working on pretty much anything. We have several of those in our lab right now, on their way to getting into PhD programs. You could even do botany and work on crop genetics.

Scientists usually start off with a degree in...science! You aren't limited to becoming a high-school biology teacher, although you might still wind up with not too much money and not too much respect (if those things matter a lot to you).