What do you recommend?? (low GPA thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a B.S. in business/real estate with a 2.7gpa (the usual terrible first 2 years bc i partied and chased girls. I was also an athlete adjusting to a horrifyingly rigorous schedule). I spent a year and a half working and am now I plan on non-traditionally taking pre-reqs. I start bio I and chem I in a week. After my pre-reqs (I will get 4.0, no question about it, no flames please: I have grown up quite a bit) I will have around a 3.0 cumGPA. (bio I &II, chem I&II, Physics I & II, orgo. I).

At this point, should I continue taking undergrad classes i.e. biochem, genetics, upper-level bio classes, etc to raise my cumGPA?? -OR- would it be better for me to attempt an SMP??? Which do med-schools look at more? Also, I plan on doing what it takes to get into an MD school...If that is not an option though I will apply DO schools.

Here is my schedule I plan on taking:

Summer '09:
Bio I w/ lab
Chem I w/ lab

Fall '09:
Bio II w/ lab
Chem II w/ lab
Phys I w/lab
Anat & Phys I w/lab

Spring '10

Phys II w/ lab
Orgo I w/ lab

Should I/would I be able to study for the MCAT while taking orgo in the spring, and be able to apply by June? Or, should I take another year of undergrad/SMP and apply the following year.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Any particular reason you're not taking Orgo II?

i didnt think it was required, but will take it if it is. I will take it as an upperlevel undergrad course if that is the way i end up going.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, first off, assuming you'll get a 4.0 in all your classes is absurd.

Secondly, even with a 3.0, MD is completely out of the question. DO would be a massive stretch unless you killed your MCAT. I'm also going to assume you don't have an ECs related to the medical field.

yes, you have to take orgo 2.

Reactions: 1 user

Secondly, even with a 3.0, MD is completely out of the question. DO would be a massive stretch unless you killed your MCAT. I'm also going to assume you don't have an ECs related to the medical field.

first off, i said no flaming on that. Second of all, people get 4.0s in pre-reqs all the time. Orgo will def cause some problems though.

I am volunteering at a level 1 trauma ED right now and will be shadowing many physicians. Also, getting EMT-I certified this fall.

first off, i said no flaming on that. Second of all, people get 4.0s in pre-reqs all the time. Orgo will def cause some problems though.

I am volunteering at a level 1 trauma ED right now and will be shadowing many physicians. Also, getting EMT-I certified this fall.

I just looked at your post history and you already made a post about this and someone already laid things out for you. It's going to take more than 3 semesters to do this if you're serious about it.

Apparently you also have a 2.66, not a 2.7. Assuming you graduated with 120 hours lets do some math. Say you do another 4, years, 120 hours of classes. Even if you got an A in EVERY class you took your gpa would still only be a 3.33........ Granted medical schools will look at upward trends it's still going to be next to impossible to get into a MD school. I'd say spend 3 years taking pre-med classes and get your GPA up over a 3.0. Do well on the mcat (going to need low 30s to supplement your gpa), and apply to DO schools.

it is a 2.7 (not that im bragging ha). Once I get my cumGPA up you recommend me taking more upper-level undergrad courses instead of applying for an SMP?

how are you planning on actually doing this if you did not even know that orgo 2 is required? not attacking you or anything just wondering...Medical schools generally have a 3.0 GPA cut off so you have to take undergrad classes to raise your GPA at least to a 3.0.. After that you could do SMP to show that you have grown up and are serious about this. This is def gonna take a lot longer than 3 semesters IMHO.

Last edited:
how are you planning on actually doing this if you did not even know that orgo 2 is required? not attacking you or anything just wondering...Medical schools generally have a 3.0 GPA cut off so you have to take undergrad classes to raise your GPA at least to a 3.0.. After that you could do SMP to show that you have grown up and are serious about this. This is def gonna take a lot longer than 3 semesters IMHO.

Everywhere I read just said they recommended orgo but not a full year of it. I planned on taking it anyways, so it's all good.

I definitely planned on this taking longer than 3 semesters. I wanted to know if i should spend 3 semesters improving my GPA, then take the MCAT, and do one of 2 things after this: Apply to SMP, or do more undergrad???

I don't even think you're good enough to make Pre-Dent with those stats...try Pre-Pharm. :thumbup:

eh, don't ya'll think an SMP would help him? If you can genuinely bring your GPA up, then you can apply into a decent SMP or postbacc, and thereafter you may have a chance at an allopathic medical school. I'd say apply to DO schools in any case.

i brought my GPA up quite a bit my last two years, and did very well on the MCAT, and it all worked out for me superbly.

If you do apply to DO schools, you should retake some classes, the retakes will replace your original grades and your originals will not be counted to your gpa.

If you do apply to DO schools, you should retake some classes, the retakes will replace your original grades and your originals will not be counted to your gpa.

I would re-take, but the classes I did bad in were these stupid economics classes that were geared toward my major. I would have to go back to my university where i did undergrad and that is just not possible.

I think I can do this, I plan on doing very well in school, and plan on studying ridiculous amounts on the MCAT. Is anyone optimistic on this board? geez

Members don't see this ad :)
I would re-take, but the classes I did bad in were these stupid economics classes that were geared toward my major. I would have to go back to my university where i did undergrad and that is just not possible.

I think I can do this, I plan on doing very well in school, and plan on studying ridiculous amounts on the MCAT. Is anyone optimistic on this board? geez

come on now, you expected people to be optimistic on the allo board? ahah most of these chumps are in the same boat with you... here's some advice:

spend as little time on the pre-allo board as possible, there are some seriously jacked ppl on here. also, if you do come here, take EVERYTHING with a a grain of salt. while i realize that would include the advice i give you here, you'll find im pretty much the only logical, non-narcissitic one of the bunch on this thread.

stick to the non-trads or reapplicants, maybe DO thread but dont waste your time asking this question here and expecting someone to actually be optimistic about things.

how are you planning on actually doing this if you did not even know that orgo 2 is required?

Were you born knowing the course requirements for medical schoool? People learn, that is why he is here.

A lot of people are being condescending, maybe to make themselves feel better, but I will just try to give you some straight up advice. It is entirely possible to get a 4.0 in your pre-reqs, but it is going to require you to focus on those classes and not much else.

A 3.0 is going to make it extremely hard for you to get into an allopathic school. In order to make it you are going to have to compensate with a very high MCAT, which is going to require you to learn the concepts in your pre-reqs extremely thoroughly. MilkmanAl, a member on this board, got into an allopathic school with around a 3.0, but he had a 35 MCAT.

With a 3.0 and a decent MCAT (27-30), getting into an osteopathic school is entirely possible. Don't listen to the guy who said you have no chance at these schools.

Good luck

Were you born knowing the course requirements for medical schoool? People learn, that is why he is here.

True but I made sure I knew what classes I had to take in order to apply to medical school. I mean thats one of the first things people look at.

True but I made sure I knew what classes I had to take in order to apply to medical school. I mean thats one of the first things people look at.

yes, but im not applying for med school for at least 2 years. And i still havent seen a requirement for a full year of organic!!

MedicneMike..some schools will allow Biochemistry to substitute for orgo2..so you have been reading right. Its not a huge amount of schools, so what I would do if I were you is to check the websites for all schools you are interested in applying to.

Also..in addition to checking out the nontrad and reapplicant forums..check out the postbacc forum..they are a lot of helpful people that can give advice for your situation, since they went through it already themselves.

http://www.mcg.edu/som/admit/application/prerequisites.html

this is MCG's pre-reqs. Just says 1 semester of organic, and it is recommended to take another semester whether it be organic II, biochem, etc.

this is what the website says:

•One academic year of general/inorganic chemistry with lab
•One academic year of advanced chemistry, two quarters or one semester of which must be organic chemistry with lab. The other quarter or semester may be fulfilled by any advanced chemistry course (lab not necessary).

Assuming you weren't a chemistry major, what is the advanced chemistry course that you're substituting for organic chemistry II? If you're thinking biochem, not all schools will allow you to do this substitution, so you are limiting yourself from the start, just because of one course. Also, ochem II will help you on the MCAT.

I agree with the above that MD schools are almost out of the question. DO schools will appreciate your maturity/age/experience, and will be more forgiving.

MD schools are not out the question, in my opnion. You haven't started your pre-reqs and assuming that you ace them all, you still have a good shot at MD. I would apply to both allo and osteo..a doctor is a doctor either way, right??

MD schools are not out the question, in my opnion. You haven't started your pre-reqs and assuming that you ace them all, you still have a good shot at MD. I would apply to both allo and osteo..a doctor is a doctor either way, right??

thank you Dr chuck for "keeping the faith!" ha...i like the optimism

To all the above posters, I planned on taking organic II regardless, but didn't think it was REQUIRED for med-school. Thanks for the responses though

I think some portion of the moon is made of cheese.

MOST MD schools have a 3.0 GPA cutoff even for getting secondaries (those that don't are just looking to take your cash.) Also, what your state residency is makes a HUGE difference in deciding if you have even the slightest shot at an MD acceptance.

Exp: West Virginia has the lowest(I think... They are pretty low, either way) state school stats. If you are a resident of WV then you have a pretty decent shot at an acceptance with a 3.5 GPA/29 MCAT to either state school. However, if you are a Cali resident you have almost ZERO shot an at interview with those stats.

However, I'd say if you pull off a low 30's MCAT and get to around a 3.0 you have a decent shot at a DO acceptance. Also, you could look into redoing some courses you really sucked at. DO schools will replace grades, MD schools will not. Just a thought.

All in all, I would say an SMP is designed for someone with your super low GPA. Seriously consider it but doing it is not necessarily your golden ticket.

MOST MD schools have a 3.0 GPA cutoff even for getting secondaries (those that don't are just looking to take your cash.) Also, what your state residency is makes a HUGE difference in deciding if you have even the slightest shot at an MD acceptance.

Exp: West Virginia has the lowest(I think... They are pretty low, either way) state school stats. If you are a resident of WV then you have a pretty decent shot at an acceptance with a 3.5 GPA/29 MCAT to either state school. However, if you are a Cali resident you have almost ZERO shot an at interview with those stats.

However, I'd say if you pull off a low 30's MCAT and get to around a 3.0 you have a decent shot at a DO acceptance. Also, you could look into redoing some courses you really sucked at. DO schools will replace grades, MD schools will not. Just a thought.

All in all, I would say an SMP is designed for someone with your super low GPA. Seriously consider it but doing it is not necessarily your golden ticket.

I appreciate the advice on the SMP. It does seem like a lot of money/time when I could just take more undergrad classes to raise my cumGPA up instead. I havent ruled it out though.

Oh, and I am a GA resident.

I dont get moon comment..lol..:shrug:

Yeah but I agree..Let's say you make all As in your pre-reqs and THEN apply to an SMP, that would make your chances for an MD school a lot greater..i dont think you should rule that out..yeah its an extra year or so and more $$ but you have to do whatever you need to, just so you can be in a better position. And you have to be optimistic, why not? Like I said after reading the threads in the post bac forum about people who have overcome low GPAs and matriculated to medical schools (both DO and MD) I feel that (even with myself) I have to do whatever it takes to put myself in the best position. Though not EVERYONE makes it..it doesn't hurt to try :)

I dont get moon comment..lol..:shrug:

Yeah but I agree..Let's say you make all As in your pre-reqs and THEN apply to an SMP, that would make your chances for an MD school a lot greater..i dont think you should rule that out..yeah its an extra year or so and more $$ but you have to do whatever you need to, just so you can be in a better position. And you have to be optimistic, why not? Like I said after reading the threads in the post bac forum about people who have overcome low GPAs and matriculated to medical schools (both DO and MD) I feel that (even with myself) I have to do whatever it takes to put myself in the best position. Though not EVERYONE makes it..it doesn't hurt to try :)

I was trying to say that believing =/= something being possible. Optimism is good, being realistic is better. I am sure every year a hand full of people with lower than a 3.0 get into an MD school but that doesn't mean you should bet the farm on being included in that bunch. You need to look at the time/money expenditure you will face when you go back and do a post-bacc, also.

Keep in mind, OP, that some SMP's also have a GPA cut-off. Not trying to piss on your parade just talking about facts.

I was trying to say that believing =/= something being possible. Optimism is good, being realistic is better. I am sure every year a hand full of people with lower than a 3.0 get into an MD school but that doesn't mean you should bet the farm on being included in that bunch. You need to look at the time/money expenditure you will face when you go back and do a post-bacc, also.

Keep in mind, OP, that some SMP's also have a GPA cut-off. Not trying to piss on your parade just talking about facts.

yeah, you're right about that

Though not EVERYONE makes it..it doesn't hurt to try :)

I would argue it could hurt to try.... Not everyone who does an SMP gets in.... Most SMP programs are super expensive, priced at about one year of medical school education. If you then don't get in, then you have a **** ton of debt hanging or you along with a pretty worthless education....

I'm trying to hint at the fact that you need to do more than try, you need to really bust your balls. I bet those that have gotten in after having a 2.7 GPA would call the path there anything but a smooth ride...

Has anyone here thought of the backdoor way this guy can get his MD? While i'm no expert and am just now applying to allo schools myself, I've been taking pre-reqs and researching for the past 2 yrs on options. I say bring the gpa up to a hard 3.0 and apply MD and DO schools here and also apply to MD programs abroad (Carribbean). That way if you do get some love from the US MD programs there ya go, otherwise you can shoot for a DO or Carribean MD option as a backup plan so you don't have to reapply the next year. just my $.02

I would argue it could hurt to try.... Not everyone who does an SMP gets in.... Most SMP programs are super expensive, priced at about one year of medical school education. If you then don't get in, then you have a **** ton of debt hanging or you along with a pretty worthless education....

I'm trying to hint at the fact that you need to do more than try, you need to really bust your balls. I bet those that have gotten in after having a 2.7 GPA would call the path there anything but a smooth ride...

Well of course..you definitely have to work hard to do well in an SMP. Messing up in any classes there will almost eliminate all your chances of medical school..and plus I am just saying that in general if there are all As in the pre-reqs, despite the low GPA, it doesn't hurt to TRY and apply..(to SMPs) especially if it will put you in a better position..yeah it's a risk most definitely cause like you said not everyone's gonna get in even with an SMP..

But that's neither here or there..to the OP, just focus on those pre-reqs for right now. Gotta pull in those As! Good luck :)

Last edited:
I appreciate the posts. My biggest fear is getting my gpa up to a 3.0 in a year and then doing an SMP program and not getting into an MD program. Or, if I do an SMP program and get into a DO program when I could have just done that all along!

Believe me, I am ready to bust my balls...I am 100% capable and have no distractions this time around. Im 24 and single, done the business "real world" thing, and trust me, I REFUSE to go back!!! There is NO way i will sit in front of a computer for 10hrs aday the rest of my life!!

Also, when is the application process for SMP programs? Is it usually in June as well?

No SMP applications have different timelines..which have deadlines between May and July..check its school website to get further details about that.

The irony of this post is INCREDIBLE. I point out that it's sad that someone got into medical school with a 2.7 GPA and a mediocre MCAT score, and I get flamed for not being able to "look past numbers". Now, all this guy is getting responses of "NO WAY IN HELL YOU'LL GET INTO AN MD SCHOOL!!!!"

OP, don't listen to these nuts. While it's not likely, it's possible to get into an MD school with even a sub-3.0 GPA. I've seen people on here who have done it. Just a few days ago, I saw a post about a woman getting into Wisconsin with a 3.05 cumGPA, 2.70 BCPM.. I think her MCAT was a low 30. Far below average, yet she managed to make it into an MD school. Don't lose hope.

OP, 4 years ago, my cumGPA was 2.72 and my prereq's were partially complete. I did completed 26 hours of postbacc work while working full time and earned a 4.0. I applied this year with a 2.92 cumGPA. I applied to 13 schools and got 5 MD acceptances. I did not apply DO.

It can be done. Take a little extra time. Find a way to do some unique EC's and crush the MCAT. Ditch the pre-Allo board. For your situation, you'll get better advice in the non-trad section.

Good luck.

The irony of this post is INCREDIBLE. I point out that it's sad that someone got into medical school with a 2.7 GPA and a mediocre MCAT score, and I get flamed for not being able to "look past numbers". Now, all this guy is getting responses of "NO WAY IN HELL YOU'LL GET INTO AN MD SCHOOL!!!!"

OP, don't listen to these nuts. While it's not likely, it's possible to get into an MD school with even a sub-3.0 GPA. I've seen people on here who have done it. Just a few days ago, I saw a post about a woman getting into Wisconsin with a 3.05 cumGPA, 2.70 BCPM.. I think her MCAT was a low 30. Far below average, yet she managed to make it into an MD school. Don't lose hope.

Whoa! Was she a traditional student? I really like seeing these things, because it means they don't just look at numbers after all. Though, I wonder how she pulled it off.

OP, 4 years ago, my cumGPA was 2.72 and my prereq's were partially complete. I did completed 26 hours of postbacc work while working full time and earned a 4.0. I applied this year with a 2.92 cumGPA. I applied to 13 schools and got 5 MD acceptances. I did not apply DO.

It can be done. Take a little extra time. Find a way to do some unique EC's and crush the MCAT. Ditch the pre-Allo board. For your situation, you'll get better advice in the non-trad section.

Good luck.

That's awesome! Where was your postbac?

Whoa! Was she a traditional student? I really like seeing these things, because it means they don't just look at numbers after all. Though, I wonder how she pulled it off.

No, she is in her mid 30's (give or take) and has a pretty amazing story. I was not surprised she got in somewhere.

The girl they are talking about had extensive clinical experience and coordinated clinical research at a large hospital, I believe. I can't remember her user name off the top of my head but she had been involved in the medical field for a long time.

No one said it is impossible. Far from easy is more like it.

I think some of the better SMP's require an MCAT score but I think each SMP will have it's own application. Could be wrong, I have never applied to one.

The above is malarkey-
I got all of my secondaries back except wake forrest and UNC. I had below a 3.0.

I am currently a 3rd year at an MD school.

There are certain people who screwed around a lot in college, had a bunch of fun and then grew up. Those that did this and are smart will fare well. Those who tried hard and still sucked it up, wont.

I didnt know the pre-recs until right before I applied. Those that eat, breathe and sleep med school during college are the tool bags people stay away from in med school.

The above is malarkey-
I got all of my secondaries back except wake forrest and UNC. I had below a 3.0.

There are certain people who screwed around a lot in college, had a bunch of fun and then grew up. Those that did this and are smart will fare well. Those who tried hard and still sucked it up, wont.

I didnt know the pre-recs until right before I applied. Those that eat, breathe and sleep med school during college are the tool bags people stay away from in med school.

Well, congrats to you.

Honestly speaking... to say that you will get a 4.0 in the pre-reqs without having taken science courses before is a bit naive. Try as you may.. but don't be dissapointed if you get a few Bs or so.

I tried to get a 4.0 this semester... It looks like its gonna be a 3.8 or so. With all these gunner type premeds, you'll be looking at some insane curves. Like 3 grades (A, A-, B+) within a five point distrubtion.
Something like this

95+=A
93-94=A-
90-92=B+

Yea some serious bull**** right there...

But i wish you the best of luck. Learn to live a little bit too.

The above is malarkey-

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ditch the pre-Allo board. For your situation, you'll get better advice in the non-trad section.

Good luck.

:thumbup:

Honestly speaking... to say that you will get a 4.0 in the pre-reqs without having taken science courses before is a bit naive. Try as you may.. but don't be dissapointed if you get a few Bs or so.

I tried to get a 4.0 this semester... It looks like its gonna be a 3.8 or so. With all these gunner type premeds, you'll be looking at some insane curves. Like 3 grades (A, A-, B+) within a five point distrubtion.
Something like this

95+=A
93-94=A-
90-92=B+

Yea some serious bull**** right there...

But i wish you the best of luck. Learn to live a little bit too.

I have done my living...trust me!! :D:D There is a time everyone realizes they need to grow up and that was a few months ago for me. My school will not have grades/curves like that! That is absurd....

Also, funny you mention it...i did take science courses in college (some) and every one of them was an A haha. Guess i should have followed what i was interested in instead of what was cool (business).

Hi,

I am looking for some advice for the following situation: I majored in BS in Biomedical Engineering at GWU May 2017 with overall GPA 3.4, science gpa 3.1. Regarding ECs, I have 250 hours of volunteering of being in two hospitals and 1 nursing home. 16 hours of shadowing at a hospital. I did an undergraduate research fellowship for 8 months on data processing in a lab meant to design robotic devices for autistic children. I had one leadership role in Biomedical Engineering Society club for a year. I don't have add't ECs though.

Now, I have not taken the MCAT and still have to take organic chemistry 2. I had to withdraw from organic chemistry 2 in spring semester (had a poor semester with a 3.1 GPA senior year due to poor time management and mental health issues that I am now resolving and doing much better from.)

I think I will take the organic chem 2 with lab in the fall (as opposed to summer now). I am debating whether I should apply to a smp program(Georgetown SMP, Cinnnati SMP, Tufts MBS, BU MAMS) or a premedical certificate (like the John Hopkins HSI) that involves upper-level undergraduate coursework starting 2018 fall(or summer, depending on the program) or just take upper-level biology coursework at a SUNY school nearby for the fall 2017-spring 2018 semesters and then apply for the 2018 med school cycle. I know that if I do a smp, med schools will look at both the undergraduate gpa and smp gpa separately and am just unsure how much a good smp gpa can compensate for my undergraduate science gpa. So I am debated -- will med schools prefer strong peformance in med school coursework or rather see I boost up my undergraduate science gpa?

If I decide to a program, alongside the organic chemistry 2 this fall, I would probably do a medical scribe job and also study for the MCAT (to get a decent score for the post bac programs).

If I decide to do DIY post bac program, I calculated that if I get As in 32 credits, I am able to boost my undergraduate science GPA to 3.4 (this requires extreme care I know ). I know I also have the option to do 32 credits coursework, MCAT, and apply to post bacs as I apply to med schools. However, if a smp would help more than DIY post bac for my situation, I'd prefer to that because I can take out a loan to cover the smp cost while for DIY informal post bac, no financial aid is offered.

Any and all advice on this is truly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Memories... OP I was told this as well when I had a 2.7. PM me. I am in lab but will respond later.

You are tagging a post from 2009! You should start your own thread to ask your question.

I wonder if he got a 4.0 in all his pre-reqs though.. if he did I'm impressed @MedicineMike

Reactions: 1 users
You are tagging a post from 2009! You should start your own thread to ask your question.
Son of a bi@ch! I hate it when that happens lol