What do you say when you call the school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to call the school that wait-listed me. I would like to hear some advice on what I should say. Am I supposed to express my interest via a oral statement, or just say "Thank you for reviewing my application, and I just want the committee to know that I am very interested in XXX?" I have written one 300 words letter of interest before. I don't know if it would be too long or even annoying to say the same thing in a phone call. What did you guys say when you call your schools to express your interest?

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO, don't call. You're speaking with someone who handles emails and other documents. They know you want to go there. Phone calls (and letters of intent) do very little to improve your chances.

I am about to call the school that wait-listed me. I would like to hear some advice on what I should say. Am I supposed to express my interest via a oral statement, or just say "Thank you for reviewing my application, and I just want the committee to know that I am very interested in XXX?" I have written one 300 words letter of interest before. I don't know if it would be too long or even annoying to say the same thing in a phone call. What did you guys say when you call your schools to express your interest?

Write letter of intent. 2 or 3 small paragraphs, 1-5 sentences each. Express interest, that if you get accepted youll for sure go, and why youre a good fit for the school. Some schools like it when students send them letters of intent, some even encourage it (NYU comes to mind). And for some other schools a letter may make no difference. It all depends on the school.

If I were you Id do what I did last cycle; write/email a letter of intent to the dean then a day or 2 later call. If theyre busy, call a few hrs later or the next day. Ask to speak to the dean. Introduce yourself, say youre on the wait list (dont use the words "accepted" and "rejected," they dont like it). Ask if theyve received your email/letter. You could also ask for them to check your file for any changes in status. Thank them for taking your call, and hope for good news.