What do you say when you cancel an away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBL22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

There is an away rotation I need to cancel (2 month notice). I am genuinely interested in the program, so I want to do the best I can to be courteous and polite as to reduce my risk of getting "black listed" there... The truth is I was offered a rotation at a place I feel aligns with my career goals and interests more, but obviously that doesn't mean I have no interest in the current program.

I really have no idea what to say in my email and I feel so awkward/guilty about canceling. Any tips on how to do it? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

There is an away rotation I need to cancel (2 month notice). I am genuinely interested in the program, so I want to do the best I can to be courteous and polite as to reduce my risk of getting "black listed" there... The truth is I was offered a rotation at a place I feel aligns with my career goals and interests more, but obviously that doesn't mean I have no interest in the current program.

I really have no idea what to say in my email and I feel so awkward/guilty about canceling. Any tips on how to do it? :(

Fwiw I cancelled two aways at programs I was competitive for and did not get interviews. I would assume however you handle it you're not going you get an interview there.

Fwiw I cancelled two aways at programs I was competitive for and did not get interviews. I would assume however you handle it you're not going you get an interview there.
Yeah this definitely makes me nervous. I'm having to cancel quite a bit. I seem to have overapplied/underestimated my ability to get them and I obviously don't want to be burning bridges left and right... Maybe I'm just comforting myself but I feel like I see just as many say they did get interviewed at places they cancel and just as many say the didn't. I imagine some programs get salty, but not most. I guess we'll find out :(

Reactions: 1 user