What do you say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Survivior

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going through other's post and I didn't get some of the words. What does adcoms, and BCPM mean?

One other question I had was that, I will be taking MCAT in August, but I am not done with my bachelors. I will be getting my bachelors next year. If I take the MCAT, do I have to apply to Med schools right away? Should I even apply without my bachelors? When does the process of applying to med school starts?

And my other question is how long is the post-bachelors program and SMP? Is it for 1-2 yrs?

Members don't see this ad.

Survivior said:
I was going through other's post and I didn't get some of the words. What does adcoms, and BCPM mean?

One other question I had was that, I will be taking MCAT in August, but I am not done with my bachelors. I will be getting my bachelors next year. If I take the MCAT, do I have to apply to Med schools right away? Should I even apply without my bachelors? When does the process of applying to med school starts?

And my other question is how long is the post-bachelors program and SMP? Is it for 1-2 yrs?

adcom=admissions committee
BCMP=biology, chemistry, math, physics
most schools accept MCAT from previous 3 or 4 years
process starts in June when you submit your AMCAS (assuming you're a die hard SDNer). otherwise it can start mid-summer.

Survivior said:

Are you graduating with your Bachelor's in 2007 or 2008? Generally, you apply to med school the summer before your last year in college, assuming you have the prerequisites. Some take a year off for various reasons, and some come into medical school after having a career already. You can't apply until you recieve the results of your MCAT, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
bcpm is your bio chem physics math GPA. aka your science GPA.

the process of applying for the 2007 year has already started. it began in june. if you apply now, you would be considered a "traditional applicant" because you are not taking any time off between graduation and med school.

a large percentage of med school applicants apply the summer between their junior and senior years of undergrad. basically, you can apply as early as the summer before the year you graduate which is for admission into the class for the fall semester after you graduate. confused yet?

haha i think if you're getting your BA/BS next year (assuming may 2007) and taking the mcat in august, you'd at the late end of the applicant cycle. you can still apply but i think taking a year off to apply and do other stuff is an option.