What do you say??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dazzlingrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At one of my interviews, I was asked why I had decided to become a physician rather than a nurse practitioner. A nurse practitioner can pretty much do everythin a doctor does. And its only six years of schooling (4 years BSN + 2 yrs Masters). Good Quality of life....
I did not know what to say.I think I messed up that interview :( :( .. But what do you guys thinkk about the question....How would you answer that??:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So you don't really know??

One good answer is you want to be responsible for all the decision-making. Nurses are responsible for carrying out the orders, but the docs make the decisions.

Also you can say you want to know the scientific and medical basis behind what you're doing.

How would you answer that??:confused:

You could always mention an interest in the invasive procedures available to MDs, or a desire to explore the possibility of subspecializing.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my interviewer, nps can also do surgery. I told him I dint think so. I tried telling him the Mds have a lot more freedom in diagonizing and treating patients than nps. But he did not think the same way...:(

According to my interviewer, nps can also do surgery. I told him I dint think so. I tried telling him the Mds have a lot more freedom in diagonizing and treating patients than nps. But he did not think the same way...:(

I hope you didn't really say "diagnozing!" Just kidding. Maybe he's bitter that he didn't go the NP route himself? :p

According to wikipedia (which we all know is always 100% correct) NPs are fairly limited in the scope of surgical procedures they can perform to "minor surgeries and procedures (e.g., dermatological biopsies, suturing, casting)."

We all know that NPs don't do the really neat surgeries that involve having your arm stuck in a body cavity up to your elbow or taking out the power tools and having a good ol' time with some old ladies hip. I would hate being an NP for that reason: part of the fun of becoming a physician is being able to say to yourself "People shouldn't be allowed to do this" when you perform a procedure.

part of the fun of becoming a physician is being able to say to yourself "People shouldn't be allowed to do this" when you perform a procedure.

Try saying that to an interviewer. lol

I work in an Emergency Room and for NP it is the same for PA's. Both of can do ANY PROCEDURE that an MD can do as long as the supervising physician is comfortable with them doing the procedure on their own. In other words, as long as the physician has seen the PA/NP do the procedure and they feel they are able to do the procedure adequetly, then that PA/NP can do the procedure from then on. That is how the "law" is written at least in CA. As a result of this, unless you looked at the nametags, you would have no idea you were being treated by a PA/NP or an MD if you came into most ERs in CA. This is the same for most specialties in medicine with the exception of what was mentioned before, very invasive surgery. That being said, the goal of a NP/PA at least in an ER is to get through the quick and easy patients (lacerations, earaches) so that the MD can focus on patients that truly need his/her care. Sorry its long but thought you guys might be interested in this from the horse's mouth (my supervising physician).

Good info above. I like having more responsibility and control than the NP route offers.