Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD What do you think? 3.87/516

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by urzelight, Aug 11, 2015.

1. urzelight

Pre-Medical
    -

#1 urzelight, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Stats-wise you should aim high, but if these are all of your ECs, you're in trouble. You need clinical volunteering experience and more demonstrations of your altruism.

GrapesofRath likes this.
  3. Banco

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your numbers are great and your activities are pretty good (especially clinical and research). But yeah did you do any volunteering (either non-clinical or clinical)? That's the weakest part of your app.

Look at MSAR and create a list with schools that have numbers close to yours (34-35 MCAT). Start with your state schools.

It is getting on the late side of submitting the AMCAS this year, so get to it ASAP. I expect with a good list you will be able to get in somewhere. But if you don't want to rush it this year, you could probably really improve your app for next cycle and submit early.

Goro likes this.
  4. urzelight

Pre-Medical
    -

#4 urzelight, Aug 11, 2015
  5. urzelight

Pre-Medical
    Thank you.

I will start volunteering in a free clinic next week and by next year it should be good.

For volunteering, I focused on non clinical for sure since I have spent the last 4 years volunteering in a human rights organization and working on translating their documents to another language and collecting and analyzing data for them.

I definitely need more patient contact. And scribing does not fulfill that and is more like shadowing.

6. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm afraid that doing research and numbers crunching like this doesn't do much for me.

Non-clinical volunteering should be service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Others may disagree.

For volunteering, I focused on non clinical for sure since I have spent the last 4 years volunteering in a human rights organization and working on translating their documents to another language and collecting and analyzing data for them.

Yup!
    I definitely need more patient contact. And scribing does not fulfill that and is more like shadowing.

7. urzelight

Pre-Medical
    -

#7 urzelight, Aug 11, 2015
  8. rocklobstr

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Eh, I sort of disagree with the scribing part. Other than being an EMT or having another clinical job that involves actually caring for patients, scribing is pretty close to "clinical experience." Additionally, many college students don't have time for EMT training, and actual clinical jobs without formal training of some sort are hard to come by for a full time college student without having some sort of connections.

I mean volunteering is good and all, but I wouldn't count getting blankets and water as better clinical interactions than scribing. Obviously this depends on what the volunteer position is/what the facility's rules for volunteers are. That's just my 2-cents though.

But you should definitely volunteer for the sake of helping others, and if you can get some good clinical experience than that's awesome.

urzelight and Goro like this.
  9. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'll be more impressed if you tutored or read to poor children, or worked at Habitat for Humanity or Meals on Wheels. Your local houses of worship will have plenty of volunteer opportunities.

Get away from the computer screen and do some 1:1 interaction.

urzelight and rocklobstr like this.
  10. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The key thing is you still have a year to get clinical exposure. Volunteer in a local hospital. Volunteer in a hospice. Have some patient interaction(through those two examples or many others). These aren't hard things to do but getting 200 hours or so of experience doing them will make a big difference in your application.