Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Stats-wise you should aim high, but if these are all of your ECs, you're in trouble. You need clinical volunteering experience and more demonstrations of your altruism.

Hello all,

What do you think of my application? Any idea on where I should apply?

GPA: 3.87
MCAT 516

Research: I did one year in microbiology, one year in Ochem and two years in stem cell research

No publication, I presented nationally (I did an oral presentation in NCUR for example) and one poster session internationally
Work

I worked part time at school (computers and science) and full time in the summer (research). I was also a TA in couple science classes and I was also a tutor at school for science and math.
Experience:
Scribing part time for couple years
Other activities
Statistical analysis and translation for a Human Rights organization (spent four years there)

I am also an online person (my name is related to debates videos)

Reactions: GrapesofRath

Banco

2+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Your numbers are great and your activities are pretty good (especially clinical and research). But yeah did you do any volunteering (either non-clinical or clinical)? That's the weakest part of your app.

Look at MSAR and create a list with schools that have numbers close to yours (34-35 MCAT). Start with your state schools.

It is getting on the late side of submitting the AMCAS this year, so get to it ASAP. I expect with a good list you will be able to get in somewhere. But if you don't want to rush it this year, you could probably really improve your app for next cycle and submit early.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads
Aug 11, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Stats-wise you should aim high, but if these are all of your ECs, you're in trouble. You need clinical volunteering experience and more demonstrations of your altruism.
Thank you.

I will start volunteering in a free clinic next week and by next year it should be good.

For volunteering, I focused on non clinical for sure since I have spent the last 4 years volunteering in a human rights organization and working on translating their documents to another language and collecting and analyzing data for them.

I definitely need more patient contact. And scribing does not fulfill that and is more like shadowing.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I'm afraid that doing research and numbers crunching like this doesn't do much for me.

Non-clinical volunteering should be service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Others may disagree.

For volunteering, I focused on non clinical for sure since I have spent the last 4 years volunteering in a human rights organization and working on translating their documents to another language and collecting and analyzing data for them.

Yup!
I definitely need more patient contact. And scribing does not fulfill that and is more like shadowing.

rocklobstr

2+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Eh, I sort of disagree with the scribing part. Other than being an EMT or having another clinical job that involves actually caring for patients, scribing is pretty close to "clinical experience." Additionally, many college students don't have time for EMT training, and actual clinical jobs without formal training of some sort are hard to come by for a full time college student without having some sort of connections.

I mean volunteering is good and all, but I wouldn't count getting blankets and water as better clinical interactions than scribing. Obviously this depends on what the volunteer position is/what the facility's rules for volunteers are. That's just my 2-cents though.

But you should definitely volunteer for the sake of helping others, and if you can get some good clinical experience than that's awesome.

Reactions: urzelight and Goro

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I'll be more impressed if you tutored or read to poor children, or worked at Habitat for Humanity or Meals on Wheels. Your local houses of worship will have plenty of volunteer opportunities.

Get away from the computer screen and do some 1:1 interaction.

I am the one writing the documents they use for the trainings in other parts of the world. The training is about helping the victims of torture to overcome what happened to them. I am not the one doing the training for sure so it might not count as much or maybe not at all.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I am the one writing the documents they use for the trainings in other parts of the world. The training is about helping the victims of torture to overcome what happened to them. I am not the one doing the training for sure so it might not count as much or maybe not at all.
The key thing is you still have a year to get clinical exposure. Volunteer in a local hospital. Volunteer in a hospice. Have some patient interaction(through those two examples or many others). These aren't hard things to do but getting 200 hours or so of experience doing them will make a big difference in your application.

About the Ads