What do you think about managed care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO/MBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wanting some opinions on your perceptions of managed care companies. Good, Bad, on the way up, or down? What could they do better? What will they do worse? What can we do about it? Why is it that we as Docs have little or no control over what goes on?

Members don't see this ad.

Try the link below. It provides a great outline of the problems then a decent solution. A little long to paraphrase, but employer based insurance is a definate problem. Large HMO's compete (sometimes at a loss) to under cut the compitition premiums to run them out of the market. Typical post reg. stuff.

Anyway, the Idea house link below is a great policy analysis forum. A must for any b-schooler.

Idea House - National Center for Policy Analysis

If you figure this one out we will see you on time magazine....

DO/MBA,

im a fin major hoping to attend medschool next year...i was thinking of doing a joint DO/MBA degree...but im not too familiar with anything they do or where they work, or even how much they earn...If you dont mind...could you tell me EVERYTHING about DO/MBA's?

thanks
:)

Well, I'm not sure where to start. My MBA is based on health care (as opposed to general business practices). Our classes took the stuff that you would learn in a regular MBA and made it practical for us as physicians. I am glad I did it. I understand the thought processes and the mentality of managed care organizations. It also gives you a jump start on coding and billing. In addition, later in life if you want to do administration, consulting, or another field all together it gives you that flexibilty. I strongly urge Doc's all around to get involved in the business side of medicine, whether that means getting the degree or just doing your own learning. Physicians need to take back what is rightfully theirs. Also, for the second response I am actually working on ways to "fix our managed care". I am trying to get ideas from every one so that those thoughts can be incorporated in my plans.