What Do you think about my Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuscanito

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an IMG (permanent resident) that just took the Step1

and i got 221/92 (first attempt) and im currently

preparing for the CK. But i wonder if i can reach any of

the most competitive programns in IM, or should i forget

about that because im an IMG? if i keep doing well on the

CK, CS do i have the chance?

Please reply and give me some suggestions....
:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

No you can't, forget it, may as well forget about residency...:D Are you kidding? or you just need some reassurance? your step 1 score is excellent, continue to do well and you will match into a competitive program providing you are not banking on grades alone i.e, you have good LORS and maybe USCE....good luck to you :luck:

Yup going to be folding jeans at the Gap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your board score is irrelevant to your chances at going to a top tier program as an IMG. The PD will look in order for:

1) Applicants Medical School ? - IMG -> circular file (trash)

UNLESS you have outstanding credentials in other ways such as active research, leadership in some sort of medical area such as starting a HIV clinic in Africa, some non-medical but impressive accomplishement like being an cosmonaut or something. Or you went to a handfull of highly regarded foreign medical schools. Otherwise your hosed. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

Good news, you can still get a residency slot at all sorts of good programs that are not harvard or UCSF or Hopkins or what not. And you will have no trouble getting all but the most competitive residencies like GI and cards. Those still may be tough unless you really can set yourself apart.

Thanks guys u give me strnght to keep going on!:D

how do all the IMG that get into internal medicina at harvard, UCSF or Hopkins do it?
I heard they take about 2 IMG interns per year. is that true?
how do i get to be one of those???:D

My brother had step I and step II in the 250's and he was a US IMG (caribean), he applied to 35 programs and got only 9 interviews (5 academic, 4 community) none of which were even close to top tier like harvard, etc. His application was significantly lacking anything else though like research, extracurriculars, etc. A 4.0 and 250 board scores for an IMG doesn't guarantee spot at a top notch program. It probably does if you are an AMG and have some research experience. The IMGs that secure residencies at those places probably have significant clinical experience in their respective country and in the US, prob worked with and did significant research with a renowned faculty in the program or elsewhere and had some publications.

From my experience up at the Brigham, the IMGs that match here have unparalleled research experiences, usually in the states. They also typically have the status of being one of the best medical students from their country. They typically are fantastic clinicians when you work with them. Again, this is one person's experience at one center.

I got a 251 in step 1. still need to take step 2 ck and cs. i'm from panama (not a US IMG). some research experience here with 2 local publications and 3 awards for best research papers. (2 local and 1 from a latin american medical meeting).
fluent in spanish and english. currently i'm the principal investigator of a large research project. i want to do academic medicine (cardiology)
I have 3 months to spare after step 2 ck and cs.
1- should I take step 3 or do observerships in the USA to maximize my chances of being accepted at a big program?
2- what are my chances of being accepted at Harvard or Hopkins?

From my experience up at the Brigham, the IMGs that match here have unparalleled research experiences, usually in the states. They also typically have the status of being one of the best medical students from their country. They typically are fantastic clinicians when you work with them. Again, this is one person's experience at one center.

From what I have read and seen, your experience is bang on.

The IMGs that make it to top tier are true IMGs who are usually renowned in their own country for their research and come from a true foreign medical school and not an offshore Caribbean school (like the one I attend).

No matter how legitimate my Caribbean medical school is (with licensure in all 50 states and over 3500 licensed graduates) or how high my USMLE scores are, I will always be seen as someone who did not get into an LCME approved school (even though I am Canadian and had competitive stats for the US, just not Canada).

From what I have read and seen, your experience is bang on.

The IMGs that make it to top tier are true IMGs who are usually renowned in their own country for their research and come from a true foreign medical school and not an offshore Caribbean school (like the one I attend).

No matter how legitimate my Caribbean medical school is (with licensure in all 50 states and over 3500 licensed graduates) or how high my USMLE scores are, I will always be seen as someone who did not get into an LCME approved school (even though I am Canadian and had competitive stats for the US, just not Canada).

I agree with you on this one. A couple of universities where I was looking to do out of network rotations said they accepted IMGs to rotate. But when I told them I was from a top Caribbean med school, they said they wouldn't take me. Like you, despite rocking Step 1 and 2, having been published and numerous research experience and with a graduate degree, I'll be seen as someone who couldn't get into a LCME school. But the funny thing is I think my education at my Carib med school was much better than a lot of LCME med schools in the US :laugh: