Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

what do you think about my situation? bad?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by ddosike, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ddosike

ddosike

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    first of all, let me briefly explain my situation.

Went to community college -> transferred to 4 year college ( SUNY stonybrook) health science major, gpa 2.9

Only took anato & physi 1+2, medical term, and few health related courses but nothing related to pre-med.

As of now, I'm 28, and joined us army national guard ( drill aka part time soldier for 3 years) and will be gone

for training from 1/26/15 to august of 2015 as a combat medic. The reason why I joined the army was to get

some benefits and also for medical experiences so I can apply to PA school ( they ask for medical experience).

So, what Im thinking is that once I come back from the training, ( which will be around august of 2015)

Ill apply to post-bacc pre-med program near my area,

and try to take all those pre-req courses for medical & PA school. I also need to boost up my gpa as hard as I

can. Then I'll apply to all the med school, (D.O, podiatrist, Optometrist, etc) and P.A school. I know i might be

lil old compare to other applicants, but I would rather choose something that will be get me a stable and better

job.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Meep Meep Meep 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Applying to all those programs is idiotic. Pick one, do the right pre-reqs, and get on with your life.

Goro likes this.
  4. ddosike

ddosike

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    maybe i confused you guys, Im not applying to all those schools, considering one of those ( d.o, podiatrist, optometrist) and P.A schools.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Meep Meep Meep 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You said you'd apply to 'all the med school'.

Pick a path, do the necessary pre-reqs, and apply. Saying you're interested in like 50 different things doesn't really show commitment.

6. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Medicine is calling like being a priest, a fireman, or...a soldier. Do some patient contact volunteer work to see if you really want to be around sick people, because it's a profession, not a job.

About the ads