What do you think about my unique situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calidental2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this website and am hoping you guys could give me some feedback. One of my friends suggested that I see what the general consensus is regarding my situation. I am hoping to apply to dental school next year and have decent grades. I'm currently in DAT study mode.

The problem is that when I started college I made a poor choice by posing in a magazine (think Maxim not Playboy). It was a college girls special edition. In hindsight this was a bad idea but this was before I became interested in dentistry.

How should approach this situation? Should I write about it in my personal statement? The worst part is that my real name is in the magazine and the pictures easily show up on Google. I'm really worried that dentistry isn't a realistic career after something like this. Any advice you can give me would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this website and am hoping you guys could give me some feedback. One of my friends suggested that I see what the general consensus is regarding my situation. I am hoping to apply to dental school next year and have decent grades. I'm currently in DAT study mode.

The problem is that when I started college I made a poor choice by posing in a magazine (think Maxim not Playboy). It was a college girls special edition. In hindsight this was a bad idea but this was before I became interested in dentistry.

How should approach this situation? Should I write about it in my personal statement? The worst part is that my real name is in the magazine and the pictures easily show up on Google. I'm really worried that dentistry isn't a realistic career after something like this. Any advice you can give me would be great.

link of pics?

Don't worry about it. It's not a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you look good enough to be in a magazine, then you are good for dental school. Now prove with your GPA, DAT and worthwhile activities that you can make it through dental school and ace your interview.

Can we call it modeling? I guess. There are worse "mistakes" people apply with. You don't mention it...not even in employment experience (or was this a freebie). Definitely don't mention it in your statement. And leave the fishnets at home for the interview.

They aren't nudes. You must be hot, and you will have no problem getting male patients! :p

I agree with the others that you shouldn't sweat it. However, I just wouldn't mention it.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I feel a lot more confident about all of this.

Jeffity - I'm going to take your advice and not mention it. I'm definitely not going to put it under employment (It wasn't a freebie but not worth the compensation).

Glimmer - I don't know about all of that but thanks for having a good sense of humor about it :laugh:

Greetings,

Even if you were pictured in revealing poses, it was perfectly legal so you do not need to worry. This will be a form of discrimination if you were rejected because of this. There is no need for anyone to know of your past bussiness unless it is required to be disclosed. I however will request the web admin to remove the link(s) if possible. The concern I have is in the future when patients do a search on you and see those pictures. DP

Greetings,

Even if you were pictured in revealing poses, it was perfectly legal so you do not need to worry. This will be a form of discrimination if you were rejected because of this. There is no need for anyone to know of your past bussiness unless it is required to be disclosed. I however will request the web admin to remove the link(s) if possible. The concern I have is in the future when patients do a search on you and see those pictures. DP

Don't worry Dr. Phan. It was only the troll (recently banned again) who was asking for the links. The OP didn't post any links.

Don't worry Dr. Phan. It was only the troll (recently banned again) who was asking for the links. The OP didn't post any links.

I think he might be suggesting that the OP try to get the photos completely removed from the Internet (i.e. google search). :)

I think he might be suggesting that the OP try to get the photos completely removed from the Internet (so they wouldn't show up in a Google search, etc). :)

Greetings,

No school in the country would fall for this scenario.

I think he might be suggesting that the OP try to get the photos completely removed from the Internet (so they wouldn't show up in a Google search, etc). :)

That would require nothing short of an Act of congress.

That would require nothing short of an Act of congress.

I absolutely agree... but I seriously think that's what he meant, since it's obvious that the OP didn't (and wouldn't) actually post the links in this thread. However, I see that he says "I will request..." If we were speaking of a link being on SDN, though, it's not like future patients could do a search of her name and somehow magically know what her SDN username was.

...Maybe we're just all confused by what Dr. Phan was saying! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely agree... but I seriously think that's what he meant, since it's obvious that the OP didn't (and wouldn't) actually post the links in this thread. However, I see that he says "I will request..." If we were speaking of a link being on SDN, though, it's not like future patients could do a search of her name and somehow magically know what her SDN username was.

...Maybe we're just all confused by what Dr. Phan was saying! :)

"We"??

Your specific clues might suggest that you would like to maintain the notoriety, but are concerned that an ultraconservative adcom might take issue with your youthful decision.

Don't worry. You're going to be a very successful dentist. :laugh::laugh:

OP, don't mention it.

If I were you, I would see about getting your last name removed or something so it doesn't show up when patients try to google you in the future.

I had given some quotes to my school newspaper and didn't feel like having that come up when my name was googled, so I got the them to remove my last name and then had google update the cache...voila, it doesn't come up anymore.

However, if these photos have been blogged/reblogged, etc. then it becomes an impossible undertaking.

Last edited:
I think he might be suggesting that the OP try to get the photos completely removed from the Internet (i.e. google search). :)

Upon second read, that does make sense more than what I thought lol

What I can say about your unique situation is with a bit of entrepreneurship and creativity, I bet you can start up a successful niche market within the dental community. Keep up the good grades, stay out of trouble, and with 64 accredited dental schools in the nation, you shouldn't have a problem getting in. Now if it's the ultraconservatives with whom you are concerned with, then let them cast the stone.

Those are good ideas Dr. Phan and Baba Yaga. I didn't think about taking it that far but it probably would be worth the effort.

Doc toothache: are you aware that your comment reeks of misogyny?

I'm not sure if most schools even bother googling your name. Too much time, especially for people with common names.

With that said, it's obviously frustrating to have that show up all the time.

If the magazine won't remove the picture/your name and you do not want it showing up as soon as someone googles your name, consider investing some time/resources into building a few webpages and SEO. Essentially, your goal would be to burry the picture in the results of a search.

I'm going to look into this. I want to at least get it off the first page of search results. Thanks for the advice.