What do you think about Penn Cardiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Commotio Cordis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a research program, I know that Penn Cardiology is stellar. What do you guys think about Penn as a clinical program (clinical training reputation)? How do you think it compares to Hopkins, Duke, Columbia with respect to interventional cardiology or EP volumes? Any comments would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason, Penn is one of the few places that I have never interviewed, at any level of training. Everything that I know about the program is 3rd hand information, but since no one else commented I guess I will tell you what I can.

If you are interested in interventional, I think the most important thing to find out is if fellows have the opportunity to rotate through Presbyterian Hospital. This is an affiliate hospital and is fairly high volume. In addition, most if not all of Penn's peripheral volume is from there. As for HUP, the word is that cath volumes are pretty low. They have 2 labs and do less than 900 PCI per year. I hear that the number of interventional fellows is highly variable because they almost always fill internally and will find a spot for any internal candidate who wants one. As I mentioned, I believe that there is minimal peripheral volume at HUP. So the volume and breadth of experience will be far lower than a place like Columbia. However, HUP is actually a pretty decent structural center. They do all of the structural procedures and were one of the leading PARTNER enrollers.

Part of the reason why the interventional volume is so low is that EP is so dominant. It is easily one of the best EP centers, and fellowships, in the country. They do, and in many cases helped develop, all the EP procedures...flutter, fibs, endo and epicardial VT, etc. Marchlinski, along with Josephson (BIDMC), Morady (Umich), and Zipes (Indiana) is one of the leading figures in EP. You absolutely can't go wrong here.

Hope this helped a little.