General Admissions & OTCAS What do you think, do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhantomCavie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just found this forum and I was hoping to get some insight. I applied last year to the college I attended for my bachelors, with no luck, and I applied this year to a few more, but noticed that some of the pre-reqs don't line up with what I was told would count from my college. Here is a little bit about me. At this point I really just want to get into an accredited, potentially clinically based, program so I can move on to my career. Thanks for any tips and thoughts!

University: Grand Valley State University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.13 (last 60 credits ~3.43)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.47
GRE: 150 verb, 159 quant, 5 AW

Extra-Curric:
-60 hours shadowing various OTs from outpatient youth, to schools, to geriatric.
-~3000 hours working with individuals with disabilities directly on activities such as socialization, ADL, and IADL improvement, including working from designated OT plans. (both on an individual basis as well as group)
-50 hours lifeguarding for individuals with disabilities
-Fundraising chair for the Pre-OT club at GVSU for 2 semesters
-TA for cadaver lab for 1 semester
->10 research papers during my time in undergrad
-designed and implemented 2 studies on behavior

Volunteer:
-96 hours volunteering at a camp for individuals with disabilities
-6 hours volunteering to watch children with disabilities while their parents attend support meetings.
-12 hours volunteering at an equestrian therapy center for individuals with disabilities
-20 hours volunteering at an organization that provides lunches for underprivileged children

At this point does it matter what school I go to so much as whether or not I achieve certification? I definitely would prefer a school without a huge emphasis on research because I feel that clinical experience is much more beneficial for future career opportunities for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow your stats are great!!! You should feel really good about everything you've done!