What do you think, Georgetown SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HockeyDoc24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I recently got accepted into the Georgetown SMP program, but I'm debating whether or not I can justify going. I have a 34P MCAT and a GPA of about 3.52, and I'm really just eager to get going as I graduated in summer of 08 and have been working two part-time jobs in the meantime (as a scribe and an MCAT teacher). I recently applied to about 16 MD schools with no interviews.

Either way, I'll be reapplying in June, but the thought of going to DC for a year and getting back into what I'm interested in is very appealing. Can I justify the 60k I'll have in debt following the program? Has anyone done the program and has some thoughts on it in retrospect? Any other suggestions for ANOTHER year off?

Thanks for your perspective!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering a SMP program because my GPA was 3.45 but I won't be taking the MCAT till the next year so I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing the SMP or not or just going to PA school in a few years instead, but I'm just curious, what were your EC's and shadowing experiences like for you not to even get interviews with that GPA and MCAT score??

I had about 9 quarters of tutoring groups of students, about 90 hours of volunteering in the ER, about 6 months of scribe experience at the time (which is essentially shadowing ER doctors), and about 10 months of research experience. I didn't really decide on medical school until my junior year. I also shadowed a few optometrists. I'm planning on re-writing my essays as I may have included some common pitfalls and trying to get more volunteer experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had about 9 quarters of tutoring groups of students, about 90 hours of volunteering in the ER, about 6 months of scribe experience at the time (which is essentially shadowing ER doctors), and about 10 months of research experience. I didn't really decide on medical school until my junior year. I also shadowed a few optometrists. I'm planning on re-writing my essays as I may have included some common pitfalls and trying to get more volunteer experience.

Your numbers are strong enough to get into an MD program without doing an SMP. Your real weakness was your ECs. You need to boost your ECs -- non-clinical volunteering specifically -- if you plan on re-applying for MD programs. Ex: Homeless shelters, Animal shelter volunteer, Special Olympics, tutoring underprivileged children.

I'm also a California resident which makes it all more difficult, but thanks for the advice medat101.

Your stats are pretty much identical to mine. I've been successful this application cycle. I really don't think you need an SMP. Your GPA is fine as is. In my opinion you probably didn't choose your schools wisely. I think 16 schools is too few for a CA resident with a slightly below average GPA. I would aim for at least 20+ and make sure that you're choosing a wide range. Don't just aim for top-tier schools - make sure your list is comprised of mostly "mid/low-tier" with a few reaches thrown in. I would continue to improve your clinical volunteering. Also did you shadow optometrists? Or ophthalmologists? If it's the former, it won't be considered physician shadowing. I would try to find at least 2-3 doctors in different specialties to shadow for 60-70 hours or so.

Minimoo- what would be some examples of "lower tier" MD schools that accept a large amount of out of state?

St. Louis University, Creighton, George Washington University, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Temple, Va. Commonwealth are some. Research the schools and try and find a fit, a lot easier and cheaper than a year of SMP.